Pumping moms

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 321abc
  • 1 Post By manda622
  • 1 Post By L-SBB
  • 1 Post By manda622
  • 1 Post By Anitha
  • 2 Post By stacyag

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Moms who are planning on breast feeding but will also be pumping and bottle feeding for various reasons I am wondering what your plan is...especially for working moms

If you are a working mom, how long before you have to go back to work?
When will you start pumping?
Will you be freezing breast milk or using it as you go (like milk pumped the previous day will be used for the next day and so on?
Have you already bought a pump or planning on buying one soon? Which one?
Are you going to be storing it in the bags or in bottles?
When will you introduce the bottle?

I am so confused as I quit my job a month before my DueDate with DD and didn't go back to work until she was 1 yr old...I think I started the bottle for her when she was abt 6 or 7 weeks old. But didn't care in the beginning as I was still available to feed her. Whereas this time I have to go back to work after 6 weeks (8 weeks if C -Section) and I have to make sure she has a good latch with both me and the bottle before I go back to work!! So worried

June 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM
321abc
n/a

When will you start pumping?im thinking this time around I'm going to start pumping when I get home from the hospital. I want to have a storage built up so when baby is big enough I can put breast milk in a sippy cup for her and maybe wean her early, but still give her the nutrients in breast milk

Will you be freezing breast milk or using it as you go (like milk pumped the previous day will be used for the next day and so on? i will be freezing it

I have a battery/plug in plain Jane one made by simply go I believe. It has really good suction but its not a double pump.
Are you going to be storing it in the bags or in bottles? bags
When will you introduce the bottle? when a good latch is established.

I've read some stuff on Pinterest on how to stock up on breast milk I'm sure you could search it and find it. The more you have stocked up the better
You can donate what you have left over!
Anitha likes this.
June 10th, 2013, 01:47 PM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
I'm a ftm and I get soooo stressed ou worrying myself about supply issues. Sigh. I know a lot of moms who had "issues" I can't comment on how legitimate the issues were or if they are just excuses, but it makes me nervous, especially because I've read that obesity can legitimately cause supply issues, and I am obese by medical standards. Gah. So, anyway, I've been thinking about this a lot and this is what I'm planning (hoping it all works out because I'm determined to make it a year or breast milk):

If you are a working mom, how long before you have to go back to work? I will get 12 weeks of FMLA, so hopefully I can work until the end of my pregnancy so I get all 12 weeks with the baby!
When will you start pumping? When I', home from the hospital. I want to build up a stash and also hopefully get my supply up. When I get back to work I'll pump three times during the work day and if I can swing it (and if it seems necessary) I'll try to add an extra pump session or two between some at home feedings...
Will you be freezing breast milk or using it as you go (like milk pumped the previous day will be used for the next day and so on? Freezing- we have a deep freeze, so plenty of storage space!
Have you already bought a pump or planning on buying one soon? Which one? My BCBS insurance covers a double elctric up to 250.00 so I have to wait until the baby is here and have my OB send a request to a medical supply store. I think I'm going with one of the Medela's, I need to decide though for sure.
Are you going to be storing it in the bags or in bottles? bags.
When will you introduce the bottle? I'm thinking between 6-8 weeks, to make sure everything is going smoothly before I'm back to work. 6 weeks if he and I are doing fine (no latch issues) I'll push it to 8 if we are having issues...*fingers crossed* that everything goes well.
Anitha likes this.

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

June 10th, 2013, 02:21 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
If you are a working mom, how long before you have to go back to work? Haven't completely finalized this yet, but trying to stay out (if I can afford to) through Jan, so 4 1/2 months give or take

When will you start pumping? As soon as milk supply is established (~2weeks)

Will you be freezing breast milk or using it as you go (like milk pumped the previous day will be used for the next day and so on? Best routine I developed with Savannah when I pumped for year with her was to freeze everything and utilize oldest in stash first to avoid losing bags to old age

Have you already bought a pump or planning on buying one soon? Which one? Reusing same pump I bought for Savannah - Medela Pump In Style, awesome pump have nothing but great things to say about it

Are you going to be storing it in the bags or in bottles? Definitely bags, bottles would take up waaaay too much space, as is bags will take over entire freezer if I do this right. And for those using bags GET LANSINOH bags (!!) best tip I got on JM's pumping board ever, they lay flat(ish) in freezer which is key when your stash (hopefully) gets large and were cheaper than the Medela bags at least they were a few years ago

When will you introduce the bottle? Best advice my LC gave me was NOT to wait long time to introduce bottle if you knew you had to have baby bottle fed in daycare (I did) and to introduce between 2-4weeks old (this is different than a lot of book advice that suggests waiting)...Savannah had zero nipple confusion and we introduced bottle at 2 weeks old, and plan to do same with this baby unless we have latch issues. As a cautionary tale, I had a friend who waited a little longer (closer to when her maternity leave ended, which was what I had originally planned to do as well) and her baby refused bottle entirely - took an incredibly stress toll on her when she went back to work, trying to run over to BF him at daycare until he was old enough to sip out of cup. My LC said while the percentage is low, there is a percentage of babies who will not take a bottle ever if it's introduced later (after 4 weeks) so just something to consider if part time bottle feeding is essential vs a convenience to you, and something to weigh against risk of nipple confusion (depending on how easily or not your baby takes to BF).
Anitha likes this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Last edited by L-SBB; June 10th, 2013 at 02:24 PM.
June 10th, 2013, 05:08 PM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-SBB View Post

When will you introduce the bottle? Best advice my LC gave me was NOT to wait long time to introduce bottle if you knew you had to have baby bottle fed in daycare (I did) and to introduce between 2-4weeks old (this is different than a lot of book advice that suggests waiting)...Savannah had zero nipple confusion and we introduced bottle at 2 weeks old, and plan to do same with this baby unless we have latch issues. As a cautionary tale, I had a friend who waited a little longer (closer to when her maternity leave ended, which was what I had originally planned to do as well) and her baby refused bottle entirely - took an incredibly stress toll on her when she went back to work, trying to run over to BF him at daycare until he was old enough to sip out of cup. My LC said while the percentage is low, there is a percentage of babies who will not take a bottle ever if it's introduced later (after 4 weeks) so just something to consider if part time bottle feeding is essential vs a convenience to you, and something to weigh against risk of nipple confusion (depending on how easily or not your baby takes to BF).
Thanks for this! It goes against everything I THOUGHT I knew! I guess I'll revise my previous answer to say that if there are no latch issues we will try a bottle at 2-3 weeks. Bottles will be essential when I'm back to work. I work full time (8 hour days) and get two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch. I like 15 minutes from work, no way I could make it home for feedings! I'd have to make hubby bring the baby to me, and considering it will be mid-late December in New England when I'm back to work...I'd rather not make him do that three times a day lol.
Anitha likes this.

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

June 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Some great advice here. Thank you!! A DD buddy of mine from Lekha's DDC is a working mom and she pumped and breast fed her boy until he was almost 2 I think. She is pregnant again and is in the July DDC. I will be getting in touch with her for sure. Will post what I find out as well
manda622 likes this.

June 11th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Super Mommy
6-9 weeks

When will you start pumping? around 1 weeks after birth

Will you be freezing breast milk or using it as you go (like milk pumped the previous day will be used for the next day and so on? both. I will build up a freezer stash while on leave for just incase I don't pump enough or if I want to the leave the baby for a few hours. I will leave some frozen bags at daycare just in case as well ( like if they spill, baby is extra hungry, I am moron and forget to bring the bottles from the fridge). Once I am back at work I will pump right into bottles and then send them to daycare the next day. any extra I will freeze. This way they can feed in 2 oz increments easily without wasting whole bags or bottles of pumped milk if the baby isn't interested.

I plan to reuse the medela pump in style Iused with my first two. Just get new tubes and parts

Are you going to be storing it in the bags or in bottles?
Bottles until I am ready to freeze. it can last up to 7 days in the fridge. When i do use the freezer i use the lansinoh bags. they are the best.

When will you introduce the bottle? dreading it--- but 1-2 weeks if there is a good latch. I did this with my son and he had no problem swithching back and forth. I waited until about a month with my Daughter b/c i wasn't going to need the bottle that much since her daycare was at work so I could nurse instead of pump and she absolutely refused it. she didn't take it one until i finally put formula in it when she was 9 months old! it was hell!

with my son i was soooo worried about having a good freezer stash that in the end i couldn't even use it all. when he was 15 months old i ended up throwing out over 100 ounces of frozen milk!!!! i was pumping 5 times a day.

i got the most first thing in the am. around 4 months when they were going longer stretched at night and i was fuller.... i would wake up 20 minutes before they did, pump my boobies dry with all the nighttime build up and then let them nurse the fatty hind milk.

Anitha and manda622 like this.
June 13th, 2013, 11:16 AM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am hoping to exclusively breastfeed for at least the first 6 weeks... if i have to introduce the bottle after that (for various reasons) i will still be pumping...
If I plan to go out for "mommy time" I will pump in advance if I will be consuming any alcohol. I want to try the Playtex Nursers, with the drop in bags.
(any moms try these before?)

I have tried NUK for my son, and he never latched on for breastfeeding after that, so im not trying that brand. I had AVENT with my daughter, and the nipples were too long, she gagged on them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search