Officially third trimester and today's appointment (glucose drink day)

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Keakie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I can't believe we're already at this point. I feel like the time has absolutely flown by!

My appointment was alright today. I met the new midwife and had the bulk of my appointment with her today. She seems really nice, although she did go on for a LONG time about why I should schedule some childbirth classes and/or hire a doula (not that I don't believe there is value in either of those things - I absolutely agree that there is and am not opposed to signing up for a class - the biggest issue is time, really - she just made it sound a little like I would be a moron not to do one or both). I don't think it was her intention and I'm trying to chalk it up to new-on-the-job nervousness or something.

The glucose drink was... pretty much what I expected. I chose lime flavor and it tasted like 7 UP syrup. I got it down quickly, though. The blood draw was rough. I never do well with blood draws, but between the drink making me feel kind of jittery and nauseous and the fact that I didn't eat much this morning, it hurt a lot and I also vomited and broke out in a sweat even though I had been laying down for the draw.

In addition to the glucose, they're also doing my anemia check. Based on the colour of my blood alone, my midwife does think that it's going to come back that I'm slightly anemic and she sent a sample of an iron supplement with me. She also said she would be surprised if I needed to come back for the three hour test (based on the physical reaction I had), and thinks it would be more likely that it could come back hypoglycemic. We'll see, though - they'll call me by the weekend if I did fail the test and need to come back for the longer one, and if I don't hear from them they'll just go over the results with me at the next appointment.

Everything else was fine. I'm measuring on track, baby's heartbeat sounds good and the new midwife didn't tell me my blood pressure this time but I'm assuming no news is good news on that front too. I gained another couple of pounds, putting me at gaining about 10 pounds in the last 4ish weeks which I'm not sure how to feel about (since 5 pounds per week is not good for the rest of the pregnancy) but that puts me somewhere between 12 and 15 pounds total during pregnancy so I'm not sure how normal that is.

On a more fun note, we've started to go public with baby bean's name. The 3D u/s video we got had her name in it (her first name anyway) so we were holding off sending it to our families until we decided on a middle name. We did sent it out last night, though, and after I get confirmation that everyone has seen it (my mom and mil replied within a couple hours, I've yet to hear from either my dad or fil ) we'll figure out a cute way to announce elsewhere, on Facebook or something.

For now, though, since I've talked a bit about it in the private forum anyway, our little girl's name is officially Evelyn Rose.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
June 11th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That sounds great overall except for the glucose test part Sorry you didn't feel very well at the blood draw. But hey atleast you got that out of the way!

Congrats on hitting the third tri

June 11th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm happy to hear that your appointment went well, and congrats on hitting your third trimester!!!
June 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!! Time is flying!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The name is so pretty!!! Congrats on hitting the third trimester and I hope that all your bloodwork comes back great!!

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
June 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I love the name your chose (and you reminded me to request access to private forum LOL) - just beautiful.

I freaking hate that glucose test so much...mine's next week and i'm dreading it. I won't get a choice - it's always orange, which lucky me is my least fav flavor too lol. SIGH. Sorry the blood draw was rough, hope you passed with flying colors so you can avoid the longer one!

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
June 11th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran
Yay on choosing a name AND being in the third trimester!
I had a 2 hour test last week - they didn't offer me a 1 hour test since that's standard practice where I live. It is awful! The orange drink is dreadful, and it took all my focus not to vomit. I decided to drink it as fast as possible so as to avoid prolonging my torture. I literally had tears running down my cheeks by the time I was finished. Having to drink that sledge after fasting for 14 hours is just awful, but it's made worse by the fact that they wont let you drink any water for the remainder of the 2 hour test!
I've had hypoglycemia my whole life, but my mom had GD and how has diabetes, so I'm actually at risk for GD myself. Fingers crossed that I'll be lucky, but I'm not counting on it!
June 11th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecatlady View Post
I had a 2 hour test last week - they didn't offer me a 1 hour test since that's standard practice where I live. It is awful! The orange drink is dreadful, and it took all my focus not to vomit. I decided to drink it as fast as possible so as to avoid prolonging my torture. I literally had tears running down my cheeks by the time I was finished. Having to drink that sledge after fasting for 14 hours is just awful, but it's made worse by the fact that they wont let you drink any water for the remainder of the 2 hour test!
I've had hypoglycemia my whole life, but my mom had GD and how has diabetes, so I'm actually at risk for GD myself. Fingers crossed that I'll be lucky, but I'm not counting on it!
That sounds miserable. I wonder why they have such a strict test by default. I didn't have to fast for mine - my mw said to just watch the carbs/don't eat cereal or pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast kind of deal so I had some eggs and a glass of milk before I went in - and still felt awful after the drink. I feel for you ladies who have to fast beforehand.

I've never had hypoglycemia, but diabetes is on both sides of my family so it's something I've been nervous about. My mom didn't have it with either of her pregnancies, so hopefully everything is okay. If I do fail this test, I'll need to fast for the next one, do a draw before hand, drink the drink and then do draws every hour for 3 hours so I would really like to avoid that.

June 11th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
That sounds miserable. I wonder why they have such a strict test by default. I didn't have to fast for mine - my mw said to just watch the carbs/don't eat cereal or pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast kind of deal so I had some eggs and a glass of milk before I went in - and still felt awful after the drink. I feel for you ladies who have to fast beforehand.

I've never had hypoglycemia, but diabetes is on both sides of my family so it's something I've been nervous about. My mom didn't have it with either of her pregnancies, so hopefully everything is okay. If I do fail this test, I'll need to fast for the next one, do a draw before hand, drink the drink and then do draws every hour for 3 hours so I would really like to avoid that.
I think they do it this way because so many people fail the 1 h test without having GD, so they try to avoid you having to go through the nastiness twice and any panic that might occur in the meantime. It really is miserable though. I was feeling lousy for the rest of the day. The best part is that my DH finished his comprehensive exam for his doctoral thesis, which is a really big milestone in academia, so I planned a party for him that night. I was up until 3 am cleaning up after the party, making sure that everyone drank lots of water to avoid hangovers, then drove them all home afterward. It was a LONG day!
June 11th, 2013, 07:05 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
Love her name!

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop
June 11th, 2013, 09:29 PM
mommyof2boys0207's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on hitting the third tri
DD- Savannah - June 30th, 2011
DS- Jameson - September 18th, 2013
June 12th, 2013, 06:36 AM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
Such a pretty name!!!!!

I do the one hour glucose test at my appointment tonight....They just told me to not eat or drink anything for 2 hours prior. I'm dreading it. I seem to have had a return of morning sickness this week, and I'm emetophobic (vomit phobia) so I'm terrified the stuff is going to make me puke! UGH. Hope I don't have to go back for the long one.

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

June 12th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda622 View Post
Such a pretty name!!!!!

I do the one hour glucose test at my appointment tonight....They just told me to not eat or drink anything for 2 hours prior. I'm dreading it. I seem to have had a return of morning sickness this week, and I'm emetophobic (vomit phobia) so I'm terrified the stuff is going to make me puke! UGH. Hope I don't have to go back for the long one.
Good luck!
June 12th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda622 View Post
Oh, I hope I didn't scare you! I think the main reason I threw up had more to do with the fact that I have severe needle/vein anxiety. Having blood drawn has always made me dizzy/shaky/slightly nauseous. Usually ensuring that I'm laying down while they do it is enough to help with most of it, but I think it hit me hard yesterday because the drink left me feeling a little jittery to start with.

Good luck today!

June 12th, 2013, 11:25 AM
AmbzAsh's Avatar Little Miss Sunshine
Woo hoo for the third trimester!

Glad everything went well with your appt....minus the not so fun experience with the GD test Hopefully you don't have to go back in for the 3 hour test.

Love her name! So pretty!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search