Looking Ahead: Labor

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Have you been doing anything/are you planning on doing anything to prepare your body for labor (exercises, childbirth classes, diet changes, books, at-home courses, etc.)?

Who will be in the room with you?

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
June 14th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have been exercising as part of my chiropractor's advice for me to keep the SPD under control, but these exercises are good for my overall pelvic and thigh region too. I also try to crawl around on all fours whenever I get the chance to help with baby's positioning I have not been diligent about doing the pelvic release and the inversion exercises that spinningbabies.com describes. The pelvic release is too painful for me and I also need DH's help for both of these..hard to get a hold of him to help me with these. I am planning on doing them more regularly in the third tri.

I have an OB appt today and will be asking about pushing positions other that the dreaded semi sitting position.

DH will be in the room with me for sure. Not sure abt my mom and DD. I have not given that too much thought yet.

Last edited by Anitha; June 14th, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
June 14th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Destiny
Mostly just reading. For some reason I feel a little apprehensive about things this time around, but reading birth stories and watching videos really helps me with that.

(my personal favourite: Natural Water Birth - YouTube)

Since I want hubby with me I'm having him read a book too, It's looking like I might have to bully him into finishing it though I think he will be much calmer if he feels some purpose and knows what to do.

I'm not doing much physically, just trying to stay moderately active and eating well no matter how crappy I feel so I'm not a big potato when the time comes.

June 14th, 2013, 09:17 AM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am doing a lot of walking lately. I didnt do a lot of walking with DD1 because I was due in December, and her labor was rough. I did a lot of walking with DS2 who was due in April, and his labor was so much easier, and so was postpartum healing. He was also bigger than DD1.
I am hoping to be doing a lot of activities outdoors this summer and hopefully it will help with L&D. Now, it just needs to stop raining!

I have also been watching a lot of birth videos and reading birth stories. Because even though I am really hoping for a homebirth, I need to prepare for a hospital birth as well, just in case.

In the room with me will be DH, Midwife & assistant, My mom, and DHs mom, depending on how it goes. We want our kids there for the labor, but will be in the other room for the actual delivery. We are hoping Dhs sister will be able to be with them, or our neighbor who is a good friend of ours, during delivery.
June 14th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been doing to much exercise beyond running after my kids! I do try to go walking on my treadmill but lately I haven't had time. I do kegels all the time and I swear those are so helpful. I do plan on getting a book on the bradley method next time I go into my midwife to thumb through to give DH some good concrete ideas for helping me during labor. I have been spending a lot of time thinking about what I want and also trying to be very realistic about my tolerance for pain-DH and I actually talked about it last night. I told him that in reality the only 2 things (beyond me and baby being healthy of course) that I want to have happen are him catching her and it being on video. If I get there and can't handle the pain I would rather an intrethecal but if it looks like it will be a while then I will not feel like I failed somehow if I need an epi. I just would rather not be at the hospital for hours upon hours before baby is born He seemed very happy with that as the ONLY thing that he has a hard time handling is seeing someone he cares about in pain.
He will be my support person and my Mom MIGHT be there to help video the delivery but if she can't make it I do have tripods to put the camera on.

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
June 14th, 2013, 09:43 AM
321abc
I was really good about exercising but it's soooooo hot in Texas that I don't want to go walk. I took child birth classes with my last pregnancy.
My husband and a close friend will be in the room. The close friend will be taking pictures. At what ever week is safe I plan on starting evening primrose
June 14th, 2013, 10:45 AM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
Red Raspberry leaf tea, evening primrose, walking and kegels! All of these combined equal easy labor and delivery for me. I can't stress enough the importance of doing the kegel exercises, makes a HUGE difference during the pushing phase of labor.

As of now, my husband and photographer sister-in-law will be with me.
June 14th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran
Hubby and I are going to take classes and just he will be in the room with me.
June 14th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Veteran
Chances are that I will have to have a C-section at 37 weeks due to my previa, but I wont know for sure until 32 weeks. So, I'm wondering whether it's worth looking into child birth classes just in case we are able to have a vaginal delivery...
June 14th, 2013, 02:21 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm just reading positive birth stories and doing kegels when I remember. I've never torn more then a "skidmark" during delivery and I don't want that to change...

As for people who will be there... My DH, my bff, my dear friend who's also an L&D nurse, Emie, possibly my boys, and 2 midwives will be at the house. I won't know who will be there for the delivery until it happens... It really depends on how I feel.

June 14th, 2013, 03:55 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
no plans to do anything for now. wish i could be doing more exercise...maybe i can start prenatal yoga. its soooo freakin' hot here.

dh will be the only one there outside of medical profesionals

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
June 14th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not doing much right now. I don't want to start walking a lot yet, as I am trying to avoid irritable uterus/preterm contractions like I've had my last 2 pregnancies and so far, so good. Once I hit 34-36 weeks, I will start walking daily and drinking RRL tea.

DH will be in the room for sure. My mom has talked about trying to make it up for the birth but she is pretty exhausted as it is, and we don't know what her chemo regimen will be at that time, so I am not counting on it. If MIL can't make it up, both kids will be in the room, also, which we have already cleared with the midwife we saw at our last appointment. Otherwise, it will be just DH.

June 14th, 2013, 09:39 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will probably try to be especially active once I'm in the last few weeks (i.e. walk to the mailbox - lol, I crack me up).

Seriously, though, I will probably try to up my activity which won't be difficult because I will probably be busy trying organizing and trying to fix things up before the baby gets here.

I may get do evening primrose oil and possibly red raspberry leaf tea.

Also enlist dh to help in the "let's get labor going" process.

That is... I will try these things IF the big hospital says they will oversee my care and allow me to do a VBAC. If they say I'm not a good candidate then I will be forced to have a c-section and there's no point in me trying any of these things. Thankfully I have an appointment with them at the end of June so hopefully I won't be left hanging any longer than that and they will tell me yes or no.

I always do some reading during pregnancy even though I almost never find out anything new. It's just fun to remind myself and keep up with where I am in the pregnancy. I've never taken a childbirth class.

Dh will be with me in the room. Nobody else. I am not one to want an audience under those circumstances.

[/url]

Last edited by TaraJo29; June 14th, 2013 at 09:43 PM.
June 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Right now, I'm just trying to keep doing some light yoga (I've had to drop a few positions and modify one or two others for the belly, but I can still do a lot of it at this point) and going for walks somewhat regularly. I've been trying to do kegels but I'm really bad at remembering (sometimes I even start doing them and then part of the way through, my mind wanders and I never finish).

I *think* I'm going to do a Hypnobabies home study course. It sounds like something I would enjoy, and dh is very supportive of it.

Other than that, I've just been trying to eat well (most of the time ) and read positive birth stories.

DH will be the only person with me (aside from the midwife and possibly the new midwife that the birth center hired). My mom has offered to come down for the delivery, but since I have no idea when I'll go into labor and I would hate for her to use up all of her time off to sit around waiting (and potentially not go into labor at all during her time here), I think I'd rather her come down after the baby is born. I think of it as ensuring that she gets to spend time with a relaxed mama and snuggly newborn (as opposed to a grumpy, very pregnant woman).

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
June 15th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
I want to get out and get walking but I have to get up and go before it gets too warm and thats hard to do with 4 kids and being preggo.
I plan on trying the evening prime rose oil starting at 37 weeks. I am really wanting to be able to go into labor on my own before I am over a week late esp sense this baby is already measuring big.
I have already read alot about natural childbirth and avoiding interventions and have my birth plan ready to go.
I will be taking a tour of the hospital as they just built a new one here and I want to see the labor and delivery rooms and be able to ask questions before I am in labor.
My DH will be the only one in the room with me. If I wasn't planing a natural birth I might let my 9 yo be in the room but I don't think I could focus like I would need to if she where there. Plus it is nice to just have mommy and daddy time with the new baby.
June 15th, 2013, 02:58 PM
kaylacaroline's Avatar Veteran
I've been doing modified yoga the whole time. I'm on the go a lot and don't drive, so my transportation is my own two feet. I don't really go on "walks".

When I first got pregnant my goal was to keep my weight gain to an absolute minimum so I didn't struggle too much with labour and recovery after birth. Well, my gall bladder has seen to it that I will not gain anything and continue to lose. I've also still been doing some spinning at home on my stationary bike. Mostly to help with the leg cramps and RLS.

As for who is in the room, DH and maybe my Mom. But ain't nobody, but the Doctor, is going to get a look at my parts.

June 16th, 2013, 07:52 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I'm reading natural birth books, re-teaching myself Hypnobirthing, going to homebirth prep classes, etc. In the room will be DH, midwife, her assistant, and the birth photographer

June 16th, 2013, 09:55 PM
mommyof2boys0207's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not doing much of anything to prep for birth and the only people that are allowed in the room for labor and delivery are my husband and my mom.
DD- Savannah - June 30th, 2011
DS- Jameson - September 18th, 2013
June 17th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Veteran
We're going to have my midwife's birth assistant teach some private childbirth classes for us so hubby knows what to expect and what to do. I think I will be doing a hypnobirth at home study, but no formal classes. As for exercise, I'm just going about daily life. I have two kids to chase after, so it's not like I'm a couch potato; I'm running around and constantly up and down with them.
DS ~ October 2007
June 18th, 2013, 10:58 AM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
I just ordered the Bradley Method book for hubster and I to read- I hope to have a natural birth, if possible. I also ordered a prenatal yoga dvd and am going to try and start doing that 3-4 days a week, and I have been trying to take walks 2-4 days a week. I know the Bradley Method book has exercises too so I will try to add those in and try to be more diligent with my kegals too!

As for classes- hubs and I just registered for a two day childbirth course at our hospital. I don't think it will tell us too much about techniques we plan to employ, but I think it will help give me a better feel for what to expect from the experience at our hospital. My insurance is good, but I work for a medical center and our insurance limits us to affiliated medical facilities (we can go to unaffiliated but have to pay 3x more oop) and unfortunately we don't have a birth center, the closest one is affiliated with a different place, so I have to stick with the hospital. Ah well!

Other than all of that, I've been trying to eat healthier and also reading and watching a lot of birth stories.

Almost forgot! Hubs will be with me during labor and delivery. I can have two other people, I think I might have my sister and aunts rotate in and out during labor, but when we get to delivery have just my hubs and MAYBE my sis. My mom passed away a few years ago otherwise she'd be with me.

Unless we are having problems we will probably labor at home as long as possible to limit the amount of time at the hospital for them to try and give unneeded interventions... So, if we get there and labor's almost over I obviously won't be having other family come in. IDK....

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

Last edited by manda622; June 18th, 2013 at 11:05 AM.

Tags
pregnancy qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search