OMG. This baby!

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree60Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
While it is entirely your decision when it comes to whether or not you agree to an induction, please know that:

A. Pitocin is not the same thing as oxytocin. It is synthetic, and is not processed by your body the same way that natural hormones are (which is true for the synthetic versions of most hormones). There are a boat load of known risks and studies that go into more detail.

B. The last two weeks absolutely do make a difference with regards to development, particularly for your baby's lungs.

C. Your body is capable of delivering a 9 pound baby. Really. I know that's scary to think about, but many women of all shapes and sizes vaginally deliver 9+ pound babies every day. You are at much greater risk for an emergency c-section as a result of an induction and all of the things that come with it than you would be at risk for needing one because of a large baby.

Again, if you've made up your mind and would rather take your chances, I'm not going to jump on you or try to sway you - but a lot of what you said in your last post regarding pitocin and development is blatantly false, and IMO you would be doing yourself a major disservice to not make yourself fully aware of all of the facts before making a final decision.

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
June 19th, 2013, 10:14 AM
321abc
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCathy View Post
Pitocin SUCKS! My absolute worst labor was when I was induced. NEVER AGAIN!! Thsi is #4, so I know how those last couple weeks are, believe me, but you couldn't pay me enough money in the world to be induced. The pain of the contractions is horrible, but what is the absolute worst, is the swelling afterward. Google it, your doc won't tell you. I was SO swollen for weeks after Kaden was born. You're going to do what you want, and sounds like your doc is up for it, why should he care, he doesn't have to go through it. If you're "glutton" for punishment, he's still getting paid. I have no doubt your daughter will be perfect at 38 weeks, but what pitocin does to your body, just not worth it IMO!!
I think this is precisely what we were all trying to say!
You said it best
iCathy likes this.
June 19th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get it girls, haha. Everyone has had a horrible experience, and they shouldnt take babies before they are ready, but maybe thats just how it is where im from. Everyone ive ever known has been induced, and my friend is measuring 6 weeks ahead and they are talking about inducing her at 37 weeks, (same hospital) its normal around here. It may be painful but its all painful. It'll be okay.

June 19th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey, if you want to ignore actual facts and go with "everybody else does it" that's your choice. Good luck to you!
321abc likes this.

June 19th, 2013, 11:48 AM
321abc
We are just trying to save you unnecessary pain, that's all.
June 19th, 2013, 02:06 PM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
I have been induced twice with Pitocin. I had no choice with my first, because I had broken water for over 24 hours with no contractions. That labor was unlike any other I've ever had. I think the big mistake I made that time was trying to do it without the epidural. I ended up with one anyways, just shouldn't have waited so long to get it. Once I had that, it was a piece of cake. All my other kids I've had naturally except for the last, which was also an induction. Knowing I would have Pitocin, I decided that as soon as I could I would just get an epidural. Was a great decision for me, this was the easiest labor and quickest delivery for me. Having said that, I also at the time didn't realize that some people end up in labor for days on end and then have to have a C-section. I was just going off of my first experience of an 8 hour labor. At the time it was appealing, because I am used to 36-52 hour labors. Those are tough, because by the time you get to the pushing stage you can be really tired. I think some people are more sensitive to Pitocin than others. My sister-in-law had it and it did absolutely nothing for her. I am an advocate for natural labor and delivery, but at the same time also realize there are times when you don't have a choice. I don't think induction has to be a scary thing either based on my own experience. As far as for the size of your baby I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think my 5lb baby hurt worse coming out than my others which were all about 8lbs give or take a couple oz. My mom had a 10lb baby naturally, and didn't notice any difference.

Here they do not induce until 40 weeks unless it is some kind of emergency. They also don't let you go over 41 weeks.
Grlsshp9 likes this.
June 19th, 2013, 03:08 PM
H_Hplus1's Avatar Supermom to 6
I have had 5 inductions with Pitocin. All went well with the average time being 5 hours from start to when I was holding my LO. Pushing was 3-4 contractions and out they came. My fifth baby I actually went all natural ( no pain meds at all) with him and found it to be tolerable. Maybe I am a rare case but for me the experiences with being induced was positive. My last baby I actually went into labor on my own but had to have an emergency C-section. Baby was a footling breach and I had developed Pre-e over the last week. My C-section recovery went really well with me walking 4 hours after the surgery. I am not sure if I am attempting a VBAC at this time since I have placenta previa.

Now I am not a proponent of elective inductions simply because you are done with being pregnant. However if it is necessary it can be a positive experience.

Jace Allan 7 lb 3 oz, 20 1/2 "

My other beautiful children and precious baby Grandson!!
June 19th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Super Mommy
Just curious where you live ?
June 19th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Veteran
Ok...I just read the first page and the only thing I'd like to add is.........you don't HAVE to take pitocin to get induced. I've had a friend ARGUE with their doctor and basically demand they break her water (this was over 40 weeks) and let her body figure it out and guess what....it did!! They were saying that she'd have a 10 lbs baby and she only weighed 8 lbs 8 oz and came (from start to finish) in 5 hours with NO medicine.

With that being said EVERY woman, EVERY pregnancy, EVERY labor/delivery is different. Just because it worked for someone else doesn't mean it'll work for you. (With stories like the one I just told or with stories like "everyone I know has been induced")

My second point is...they can check for babies size but will tell you its usually off by a pound and this has been the case for everyone i know so far. (Like the one mentioned above.) And another friend with GD just had her baby boy a couple days ago, who was "supposed" to weight over 9 pounds...his birth weight was 7lbs 7oz. Those two are just recent examples but my point is...don't base getting an induction off of how big they "SAY" the baby is going to be.

Last edited by justmcurious; June 19th, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
June 20th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Thank you! Not all inductions are or have to be a negative experience. I feel like im getting jumped but the thing is, I'm not getting induced as far as i know and even if I wanted to or had to its really no ones place to judge or give me facts. I'm an adult, I can make my own decisions about my labor, that's not even what this post was about in the first place.

June 20th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Super Mommy
Had to jump in. I think these women are really looking out for you. I think they know from experience how induction really is and wants you to have the best birth experience possible. Most of the time, when first timers didn't get the experience they want, they usually know what they want the second time around and knows what's the best plan out there. You want the best experience possible and it is true that most times when there is induction, it raises your chances alot higher to have a c section but it doesn't always happen but good chance it will if there is an induction than without. The pitocin sucks! They're right. It feels as if there are no breaks or little breaks in between contractions compared to a natural labor contractions. It basically contracts the uterus more frequently than natural contractions. You should understand that most Doctors are in it for the money. It's all business. C section surgeries can rake up to 13k or something compared to 3k-5k for a vaginal birth. If the doctor is all for induction without any good reason, prob time to look for a different doctor. It may not seem like a big deal to you right now but it will be after you experienced what birth you experienced with your first with that doctor and I guarantee you will want a different doctor the second time around. I know you are excited and cannot wait to meet her but the birth experience does matter a big deal too. It's crazy I know but it's a power thing women experience. It's the best thing to ever happen. But it is of course your decision and whatever decision you make is yours alone. There's no wrong way to do it. It's jus the experience you want is what you should look out for is all. If induction is fine with you, then go for it. I understand the hesitation the women here feel abt induction and I totally understand that too. It's just that they experienced it or know someone who did. It's not always a good idea but it is a good idea in some cases but it depends really. It is your pregnancy, either to take their advice or not.
Anitha and rebecca0217 like this.

Thank you Kiliki for this beautiful siggy!

June 20th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think, for me, more than anything, it was your arrogance and your attitude about it all. I didn't read anybody "jumping" on your, I read people offering facts and advice, based on their experiences or the experiences they've seen others go through.

To claim that your baby would survive NOW if she was born and then go on to say that you KNOW she is going to be healthy rubbed me the wrong way. I would be willing to bet that EVERY mother who went in for an elective induction for their own comfort and ended up with a baby in the NICU thought the EXACT same thing. In fact, when I was having my son, there was a ton of drama surrounding a woman who elected to have a baby at 38 weeks, because she was measuring big, and her baby ended up in the NICU with immature lungs. It happens. And I think that is all anybody is trying to get you to understand. That's not judging you or jumping on you, it's looking out for not only YOUR welfare but the welfare of your baby, and it is clear by some of the things you've said that you a NOT educated on inductions. The pitocin ALONE can cause your baby issues, whether it's at 38, 39 or 42 weeks. A c-section can cause breathing issues because the baby isn't squeezed through the birth canal, etc, etc. If you want to ignore ALL of that and go with making the decision that you feel is best for YOUR OWN body, that is totally up to you but you've done nothing but be flippant and arrogant throughout this whole post, when all anybody was trying to do was help you to understand something that you clearly didn't already understand.
Urchin likes this.

June 20th, 2013, 09:46 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been attending births for almost a decade. I've seen everything from an elective c-section to a home birth.

Every single major complication I've witnessed in the 50 some odd births I've attended occurred during an induction involving either cytotec or pitocin.

This may be "anecdotal" evidence, but I find it absolutely horrifying that a woman can *choose* to use these dangerous drugs without a medical reason. I think it's irresponsible of a provider to support, and sometime encourage, that choice.

Yes, these medicines serve a great purpose when *medically necessary* but to use them, just because you're "uncomfortable" or they "think you might have a big baby", is ridiculous and unsafe.

My 2 cents.

You're 100% correct that this IS your choice, but please READ the inserts for Pitocin and Cytotec and any other medication before you let them put it in your body. They didn't put the warnings in the inserts for ****'s and giggles. Be aware of the risks. Don't just trust that your OB/GYN is doing what's best for you and your baby, it's your job to make sure he is.

June 21st, 2013, 09:42 AM
321abc
No one is jumping you.
Every single one of us is looking out for you.
If you get a chance look back at my posts from a couple of years ago and read what the ladies said to me about me choosing to have an elective induction.
You'll realize we are being NICE.
In some places elective inductions are illegal.
I'm pretty sure they are illegal in Texas before 39 weeks.

This is a support group and while we can respect your decision to choose your birth plan I don't think you should expect us to sit back and tell you that we agree with you and think its a fantastic idea when we don't.

My final advice is to not choose to be induced unless you are effaced at all and dilated to at least a 2. If you do decide to be induced my hope is that your body will be ready and that it will take over so you aren't on pitocin the whole time.

I would really like it if you were to just go in to labor on your own so you don't have the possibility of experiencing what most of us have experienced with inductions.
June 21st, 2013, 10:33 AM
Never was I being arrogant or flippant. If i want to yhink my bavy is going to be healthy and just fine when she comes out, it is my choice. Just like its my choice on whether or not id be induced. WHICH AGAIN IM NOT. I think people keep skipping over the part where i said I'M NOT GETTING INDUCED AS FAR AS I KNOW! I've reae on pitocin and all the other details, I've heard what everyone has to say and I've heard it before on here. No matter what anyone has to say it is up to me, just like you all have said. If its up to me, then leave it up to me and stop. Do you hear me telling you guys what i think you should do with your labor? No, because ultimately my opinion means nothing. I've been really nice about this, no im over it. Please stop.

June 21st, 2013, 12:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ladies I think she has a point. All of us have given facts, anecdotes etc on inductions. She has read them and read other sources of information too. But if I was in her shoes, I'd feel frustrated too at this point and feel sort of like everyone is ganging up on me, even though we are not - that's how it would feel from Maria's point of view and I think we should respect that. Can Kayla or Allie have this thread locked?

Maria I just want to re-iterate that even though this thread has gotten a bit heated, none of us judge you or want you to be hurt or upset. Please do not take any heated words to heart. We are all in this together and we all hope for the best outcome, experiences and healthy babies for each and every lady here and support each other through what we go through.

June 21st, 2013, 04:56 PM
Veteran
I agree with Anitha. It's time to back off now. I know where you are coming from - I get really frustrated when people even mention not getting their kids vaccinated (unless you react poorly to vaccines there is never a good reason), but once made your point and shared your knowledge, it's time to move on and let the person make the choice they feel is best for them and their baby.
Grlsshp9 likes this.
June 22nd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Thank you both very much!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search