OMG. This baby!

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree60Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just in a weeks time I feel like she has gained a whole pound. They haven't told me if she is head down yet or not but I KNOW she is. My pelvis and lower back hurts SO bad, and I feel HUGE! I seriously wouldn't be surprised if she was measuring like 3-4 weeks ahead, it is pretty intense. I can't even sleep at night because of this pinched nerve under my boob, and now it is carrying over so if I sit for too long or lay down for too long on either one of my sides it just goes numb and tingles, and her feet STAY in my ribs. I love her, don't get me wrong but she is getting big, and I am getting uncomfortable. I am really anxious to get the ultrasound on the 28th. I want to know how big she is and what's going on. I'm thinking if she is measuring ahead he will induce me at like 38 weeks, and honestly I don't even care. I'm ready for it.

June 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I felt the exact same way last time. I had this horrible tingling numbing pain on my lower ribs under my left boob and she would constantly have her foot there and keep pushing! I would push her foot back from the outside This time around I feel much better ...I guess because the uterus has expanded more easily and there's enough room for her?? Last time I swear the last week before I went into labor I had my my hand constantly pressed to that spot and massaging it all the time!! Hang in there and I'd still say try to hang on and let this start naturally rather than inducing due to discomfort and other non medical reasons. Whats two more weeks if you can make it to 38 weeks? It will be so worth it to take as normal a route as possible and pave the way for easier subsequent deliveries This phase of pregnancy is uncomfortable at the least and miserable at the worst, but try to remember the awesome gift you are going to receive at the end of the journey!

PS: Please don't take it the wrong way. Its ultimately your decision and only you know how much any decision is worth to you. No judgement at all from my part. I just wanted to offer you encouragement to try to let things start on their own and let your body do its thing as long as baby is ok. Plus I am personally scared of inductions and seem to hear more stories ending in c-sections than not...thats why I felt the need to speak abt it.
Alpha_allie1010, 321abc and Keakie like this.

June 18th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Yess, I am constantly massaging it, and pushing that spot, and I would only get induced if she was going to be like 9 pounds at birth, like if she is measuring ahead and he wants to induce I'm going for it, plus pitocin is a horomone your body makes so really its not a bad thing, and at 38 weeks it would be fine to deliver. I would rather get induced at 38 weeks than wait until I go into labor because who knows how big she would be at that point and my chances of getting a c-section would be higher. He doesn't wanna induce unless he has to but if he gives me the option then im taking it, but only if she is going to be a big baby.

June 18th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
While it is entirely your decision when it comes to whether or not you agree to an induction, please know that:

A. Pitocin is not the same thing as oxytocin. It is synthetic, and is not processed by your body the same way that natural hormones are (which is true for the synthetic versions of most hormones). There are a boat load of known risks and studies that go into more detail.

B. The last two weeks absolutely do make a difference with regards to development, particularly for your baby's lungs.

C. Your body is capable of delivering a 9 pound baby. Really. I know that's scary to think about, but many women of all shapes and sizes vaginally deliver 9+ pound babies every day. You are at much greater risk for an emergency c-section as a result of an induction and all of the things that come with it than you would be at risk for needing one because of a large baby.

Again, if you've made up your mind and would rather take your chances, I'm not going to jump on you or try to sway you - but a lot of what you said in your last post regarding pitocin and development is blatantly false, and IMO you would be doing yourself a major disservice to not make yourself fully aware of all of the facts before making a final decision.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!

Last edited by Keakie; June 18th, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
June 18th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am a small woman-5"2 and normally 108lbs and my last baby weighed in at 8lbs 10oz. He felt no different than my other boys who were 6lbs 13oz and 7 1/2 lbs. The weight of the baby really does not effect how easily they come out. The circumference of the head and the broadness of the shoulders is what can make the difference.
MamaLaurie likes this.

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
June 18th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Fat squishes, so while some women certainly have a harder time with bigger babies, many don't. For the most part, your body won't make a baby that's too big.

Also, just an FYI, but most hospitals will not allow elective inductions (which, sorry, but "big baby" and being uncomfortable aren't medical reasons to induce, considering ultrasounds can be off by up to 2 lbs either way and all mamas are uncomfy at the end ) prior to 39 weeks, because, while 37 weeks is considered "term", many babies lungs aren't actually fully mature until 39 weeks, or sometimes later. Babies lungs secrete a hormone to trigger your body to go into labor.

Anyways, I totally feel you on the uncomfortable front. I have SPD with this baby and did with the last, too. My pelvis pops every time I get up and this time, my abs are so separated that my entire lower stomach feels bruised. This dude has also been consistently measuring ahead since about 12 weeks and my last baby was just about 8 lbs at over a week early, so I am expecting and high 8 lbs, low 9 lbs baby if I am able to make it all the way to my due date. I love squishy babies, though and my mom managed an almost 10 lber, so I would be fine with it.

Can you look into a chiropractor or anything for the pain your having? Even if you do go for an elective induction, you still have at least 9 weeks to go, so it couldn't hurt to start looking for something to help with the pain.

June 18th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Super Mommy
I've had 2 9 pound 6 oz babies.

Induced 3&5 days late.

I had first degree tears with both but pushed for under an hr each.

My dr. Isn't worried about size unless this baby is measuring well over 10-11 pounds since I didn't have any problem with the other 2.

My dd was an inch longer and her head 1/4 smaller than my son , so she was easier to push out since she was narrower.
June 18th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Well I talked to my doctor about it and there's nothing wrong with being induced. I told him what you guys said and he came back with, "Did they got to medical school?" So I have to agree, and believe, and trust what my doctor says is best, not just others opinions or thoughts on it. If I had my baby right now there's a 90 percent chance she would survive so I'm pretty sure if she came at 38 weeks she would be perfectly healthy.

June 18th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlsshp9 View Post
Well I talked to my doctor about it and there's nothing wrong with being induced. I told him what you guys said and he came back with, "Did they got to medical school?" So I have to agree, and believe, and trust what my doctor says is best, not just others opinions or thoughts on it. If I had my baby right now there's a 90 percent chance she would survive so I'm pretty sure if she came at 38 weeks she would be perfectly healthy.

I would switch doctors if I had a doctor who had an attitude like that. And feel free to educate YOURSELF. Doctors don't know everything, it is your first responsibility as a parent to make sure you are making educated choices for you child, even in the womb.

I, personally, don't understand why you guys are even TALKING induction at just 38 weeks, when you have absolutely NO medical reason to need an induction at this point in time. It's certainly YOUR decision but why risk your baby having issues or you needing a c-section for no other reason then feeling ready?

I certainly, I can link you to plenty of things that you could take to your doctor showing that inductions are NOT always safe, that they lead to a MUCH higher rate of c-section and that most hospitals DO NOT allow inductions prior to 39 weeks because SO MANY babies were being born with immature lungs, even at 38 weeks.

You could ask your doctor if he is aware that the ACOG doesn't recommend elective inductions before 39 weeks, also.

ETA: Here are some resources for you. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnanc...ing-labor.aspx
http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnanc...your-baby.aspx
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/he...rody.html?_r=0
http://www.acog.org/About_ACOG/News_...al_Indications (You will see that, in this article, it is specified that "big baby" is not a reason to induce.

Last edited by Babybear4; June 18th, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
June 18th, 2013, 05:15 PM
No, I didn't go to medical school. I am, however, citing actual medication inserts for pitocin and several well-documented studies of fetal development and induction statistics. I'm appalled that a doctor would tell you there's "no risk" when it comes to induction and would, personally, report him to my state's medical licensing board for making such obtuse comments. It's blatantly incorrect information for the purpose of making your pregnancy and delivery more convenient for *him* and abuse of his position as a caregiver.

Medical school does not make one infallible. Someone who graduates with honors from medical school earns the same title as someone who scrapes by.

June 18th, 2013, 05:26 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As a doula I've seen babies born at 38 weeks end up in the NICU with immature lungs. And these are babies that were NOT inductions and came on their own.

I wouldn't risk that, personally, because I was uncomfortable.

I understand the pain... I've had pretty severe SPD with my last 3 pregnancies (including this one) and carried to 41+3 and 41+5. It's tough, but it's so worth it to give my babies the absolute best shot at a healthy start that I can.

It's ultimately your decision.
Babybear4, Keakie and Heidijens1 like this.

June 18th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Veteran
As a science geek I work with LOTS of doctors, and loads of them are knobs that haven't a clue what they're doing. Having said that, lots are awesome! I'm not going to judge what your doctor is based on what has been said here as it's all out of context. The best thing you can do is to educate yourself with credible sources (scientific literature and clinical studies are good sources, random websites and wikipedia are NOT) and make the decision that is best for you and your baby If you're not comfortable reading these journals, I'd be happy to do a quick literature review for you and come up with a few reliable studies

I can also ask a few of my personal non-knob MD friends for their opinions based on their experiences in the hospital as both the doctor and the patient if you like.
321abc likes this.
June 18th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I never said he was inducing me at 38 weeks I was just making a comment. Even if he wanted to induce at 39 weeks I'd be fine with it. It's my decision, everyone is different.
littlecatlady likes this.

June 18th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We've all said that it's your decision but a lot of people go into inductions without educating themselves and are disappointed at the way they turn out, so I think all anybody is trying to do is to help you educate yourself on what an induction can REALLY mean for you and your baby.

June 18th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybear4 View Post
We've all said that it's your decision but a lot of people go into inductions without educating themselves and are disappointed at the way they turn out, so I think all anybody is trying to do is to help you educate yourself on what an induction can REALLY mean for you and your baby.
We all understand that it's your choice. I think that we just see a lot of misconceptions in your posts and want to ensure that you have access to accurate information before making any decisions.

June 18th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I am educated, I've already been through this same thing on another post. Miah will be a perfectly healthy baby regardless. & I know that.

June 18th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Super Mommy
Miah might be healthy but its is just the process of getting there. Again like everyone else said it is ultimately your choice and decisions. If your body is not ready to be induced there are complications that can result for you.

I think that's what people are trying to say here.

Having an induction that doesn't take or lasting 24+ hrs only to result in a c-section can lead to a healthy baby, but it isn't a pleasant way to get there.

With my daughter I was in terrible spd pain and my dr was worried about her getting too big. I was scheduled to be induced at 38,39, and then 40 weeks. The day before each I went in and my cervix was still shut and long. No dialating and effacing. My dr said simply my body was not ready to let this baby out. He didn't recommend the elective induction or feel comfortable performing it since the complications of potential major surgery ( emergency c- section) outweighed the benefits of the early induction. I was finally induced at 40 weeks 5 days when I was 2 cm dialated and it was an easy 4 hr induction start to finish. I honestly believe the outcome would have been different of I decided to do it earlier.

Again, my baby probably would have been healthy at 38 weeks but it had the potential to be a miserable experience.
Anitha, Babybear4, 321abc and 1 others like this.
June 18th, 2013, 07:12 PM
321abc
I've already told you my experience in a previous post I think.
But I just want to remind you that I was in the same boat and I chose an induction and have regretted it ever since.
I was stubborn and didn't listen to what ANYONE said.
Yes it can be dangerous. No it isn't always dangerous.
As long as you have educated yourself then I'm sure everyone can respect your decision. But I will still be praying she comes on her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlsshp9 View Post
My issue with doctors like this.. When did he last give birth? He may be a medical professional but doctors who make remarks like that need to have more respect for women who have given birth.
Alpha_allie1010 likes this.
June 18th, 2013, 11:06 PM
bevyvuska's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to bevyvuska
I have no issues with drugs or not doing everything completely naturally, personally I have known too many horror stories about induction. Especially when it's more to fit a docs schedule than your bodies. None of the issue were to the baby but with the mom. I think that's all anyone here is trying to say. Yes, she will be healthy, even with an induction but what might you be doing to yourself in the process to possibly "make it easier". I am not judging at all, just truly hoping you don't regret whatever decision you make.
I will be having a scheduled C-section sometime between 8/23 & 9/1 probably. (38 & 39wks) to avoid an emergent one. In my case, I don't have much of a choice. They did say I could try vaginally if I wanted to but would most likely end up a C-section anyway. All I know is every really good OB I have known (I work in medical) has never been OK with induction unless it was absolutely necessary. So your docs comment surprises me a lot.
321abc likes this.

June 19th, 2013, 08:30 AM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pitocin SUCKS! My absolute worst labor was when I was induced. NEVER AGAIN!! Thsi is #4, so I know how those last couple weeks are, believe me, but you couldn't pay me enough money in the world to be induced. The pain of the contractions is horrible, but what is the absolute worst, is the swelling afterward. Google it, your doc won't tell you. I was SO swollen for weeks after Kaden was born. You're going to do what you want, and sounds like your doc is up for it, why should he care, he doesn't have to go through it. If you're "glutton" for punishment, he's still getting paid. I have no doubt your daughter will be perfect at 38 weeks, but what pitocin does to your body, just not worth it IMO!!
321abc likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search