Evening primrose

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mommy2lilmen
  • 1 Post By beckiethedoula
  • 2 Post By Babybear4
  • 1 Post By MamaLaurie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2013, 09:48 AM
321abc
Any of you BTDT momma's used this to help jump start labor?
I plan on mentioning it to my doctor at my next appointment to find out when to start and if he will even allow it.
I may do it anyway if I decide its a good idea.

I've heard to take it vaginally and orally but I'm not sure what it does and how.
I will do some research but wanted some personal insight!
June 21st, 2013, 01:58 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told 35 weeks on, you take 2 pills orally and put 1 vaginally for a few weeks then the last 2 weeks you increase it. I tried it after week 36 with my last and it only helped efface and make me stretchy nothing else it did. I also recommend nipple stimulation the last month to .

Does evening primrose oil work? | BabyCenter
321abc likes this.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

June 21st, 2013, 07:52 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
EPO is a prostaglandin, much like what is naturally produced by your body. (Cervadil and Cytotec are synthetic prostaglandins as well that are used to "ripen" the cervix in some hospital inductions.) EPO is no where near as strong as those drugs and is closer in strength to the prostaglandins found in semen. The purpose of a prostaglandin in labor is to soften and thin the cervix in preparation for contraction that will open the cervix.

Natural prostaglandins (like EPO and semen) usually only jump start actual labor if your body is already on it's way and just needs a "nudge".

Most midwives and OB's I know recommend waiting until you are full term (37 weeks) to begin using anything like EPO. It won't start labor, but you want your cervix to stay firm and thick until it's time for that baby to come out!

At that point you can insert 1-2 500mg gel caps (I usually poke them open with a sterile needle) vaginally before bed. You can take them orally too. That's the recommend my midwife gave me, at least.
Babybear4 likes this.

June 21st, 2013, 08:06 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
I've used it both times and it never really did crap for me except soften my cervix...its BS lol. I feel so done using any sort of natural induction methods because nothing ever works for me. I agree that your body prob has to be ready for any thing like that to work!

I am seriously thinking about not doing ANYTHING this time hehe.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop
June 21st, 2013, 08:07 PM
321abc
I definitely don't want to start too early. 37 weeks sounds much better than 35.
I didn't efface at all until pitocin was started so I'm wanting to try something more natural this time to help my body get ready in case I do go over 40 weeks or end up having to be induced for health issues. (No reason for concern of that just want to be prepared)
June 21st, 2013, 08:42 PM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
I haven't tried this before but it is something that I want to give a try this time. I figure it's at least worth a try.
June 21st, 2013, 09:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've only ever really heard that it's useful in helping your cervix to soften but not really to jump start labor. I think of it more like the Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, where is is really good for prepping your body for labor but more than likely won't be the *cause* of it.

I have heard starting it anywhere between 35 and 37 weeks.
TnPhotoMama81 and MamaLaurie like this.

June 22nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
It always helps me soften so I always do it vaginally around 36 weeks.

June 22nd, 2013, 07:23 AM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybear4 View Post
I've only ever really heard that it's useful in helping your cervix to soften but not really to jump start labor. I think of it more like the Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, where is is really good for prepping your body for labor but more than likely won't be the *cause* of it.

I have heard starting it anywhere between 35 and 37 weeks.
Yup, just what I would have said. I think my labors have been easier since I started using both the EPO and drinking the tea.
321abc likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search