~ September 2013 DDC MOTW: littlecatlady ~

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Keakie
  • 1 Post By littlecatlady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith

Happy Monday ladies! Please welcome our next MOTW, littlecatlady!

Name? Ashley

Where are you from? Nova Scotia. Technically Clam Harbour, which is about 1.5 hours outside of Halifax in the middle of nowhere.

Home

How many weeks along are you now? 30!

Team blue, pink or green? Team Pink!

Tell us 3 things that we might not have already known about you! (Fun facts, interests, hobbies, etc.)

1. I am a nerd! I have a PhD in Microbiology and Immunology, which means I've been in school for 22 years! I studied new cancer drugs as a grad student and am now studying novel antibiotics and vaccine formulations for bacterial infections and HIV.

Here is a picture of my lab wife and I doing a very large experiment in graduate school. This is actually 1/2 of an experiment. It was after a very long day, but we're still smiling! It's hard not to smile when you're working with amazing people

2. I have an unhealthy obsession with Great White Sharks. One of my goals in life is to learn how to scuba dive, travel to Guadeloupe, and dive (without a cage) with Great Whites.

3. I have a great radar for people. I try not to judge right away, but my first impressions are nearly always correct, so I've learned to trust my gut. I have only been wrong once in my entire life, and that was with one of DH's colleagues (wrong in a good way - he's now one of my favourites). DH uses this skill to his advantage (and his enjoyment).

My family

My DH and I. We always take silly photos

My favourite picture. DH and my momma on dad's boat.

Your turn, ladies! Ask her anything!
Anitha, rebecca0217 and manda622 like this.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
July 15th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Gorgeous pictures! Do you do a lot of boating and/or water sports? What about fishing?

Sorry if you've mentioned this elsewhere (I'm drawing a blank) - do you have a name for your baby girl yet?

July 15th, 2013, 09:28 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I love science nerds! Great pictures, i'm feeling badly now I didn't include any with mine lol

When did you know you wanted to pursue a career in science? Any particular teacher or role models that influenced you?

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
July 15th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I am a nerd! I have a PhD in Microbiology and Immunology, which means I've been in school for 22 years! I studied new cancer drugs as a grad student and am now studying novel antibiotics and vaccine formulations for bacterial infections and HIV.
That is sooo cool! My DH was pursuing his Phd when we got married. He quit after 3 yrs of that with (yet another) Master's degree as he realized he didn't have the patience to wait the 5 more yrs minimum that his advisor expected him to I was so sad....but was supportive of his decision. He used to work on targeting cancer cells for both imaging studies and actual drug delivery using Folate molecules.

Awesome pics by the way!

OK questions:

How many years did it take from Masters to PhD?
What made you choose this career path?
Are you in academics now (Post doc? teaching? ) or in an industrial setting?
How, when and where did you meet your DH ?

July 15th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
Gorgeous pictures! Do you do a lot of boating and/or water sports? What about fishing?

Sorry if you've mentioned this elsewhere (I'm drawing a blank) - do you have a name for your baby girl yet?
I grew up on the water and am pretty sure that I have salt water in my veins. We spent a lot of time on the boat. I use to go out fishing with my dad (who's a fisherman) a lot when I was a kid to 'help'. We go out recreationally as well - we tie rafts or inner tubes to his motor boat and go out on the harbour - it's a lot of fun! We have friends who go water skiing, but I am FAR too clumsy to try this! I use to go fishing with dad (not for dad's work, but for fun) all the time when I was little. He's already looking forward to taking our little one out and has already bought her rubber boots When not on the harbour, I spent most of my time on the beach. I grew up about 5 minutes away from a provincial park with one of the most beautiful beaches in the province - summers were rough The picture of home is actually where DH grew up (literally his back yard), which is near where I grew up. We do a lot of kayaking and canoeing there.

We do have a name picked out. Her name is Pheobe Marie Claire. We choose Pheobe because of Holden's sister in 'Catcher in the Rye'. Marie was my nan's name, and Claire is DH's mom's name. We'll probably drop Claire if my BIL and SIL decide to use it as a middle name for their little girl, who's due in 2 weeks!
Keakie likes this.
July 15th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-SBB View Post
I love science nerds! Great pictures, i'm feeling badly now I didn't include any with mine lol

When did you know you wanted to pursue a career in science? Any particular teacher or role models that influenced you?
I will be asking you about posting pictures

Where I come from, people usually don't consider going to university, and I was also heading down that path. I had an absolutely amazing teacher in high school, who I adored. He taught me in just the right way that seemed to make everything make so much sense (calculus, biology, chemistry, etc), made science really interesting, and encouraged me to think at a higher level. I started taking courses just because he taught them, and I would seek his help in other classes when I had teachers who were useless. I ended up graduating at the top of my class. I learnt afterward that he spoke with the university I went to with my principal on my behalf and ended up getting me a full scholarship. When I graduated my parents thanked him for helping me so much, and he responded by telling them that I should be the one who was thanked because I made his job worth it. He went beyond making me feel good about myself, but made me feel capable of accomplishing anything I set my mind on. He is one of the first people I thanked in my PhD dissertation.

I actually wanted to go into medical school originally. I decided to do a BSc in Microbiology and Immunology when I started to learn about the immune system, which is incredibly cool and more complicated than anyone can begin to understand. When finding a lab to do my honours in, my supervisor told me about this project that was being done in the lab where they were studying how a protein in cow's milk selectively kills cancer cells, which I thought was amazing! I did my honours with him and studied proteins in fish that do the same thing. I then discovered how much fun research is, and how I can help so many more people by studying diseases for which there is no real cure.
Anitha likes this.
July 15th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitha View Post
That is sooo cool! My DH was pursuing his Phd when we got married. He quit after 3 yrs of that with (yet another) Master's degree as he realized he didn't have the patience to wait the 5 more yrs minimum that his advisor expected him to I was so sad....but was supportive of his decision. He used to work on targeting cancer cells for both imaging studies and actual drug delivery using Folate molecules.

Awesome pics by the way!

OK questions:

How many years did it take from Masters to PhD?
What made you choose this career path?
Are you in academics now (Post doc? teaching? ) or in an industrial setting?
How, when and where did you meet your DH ?
Cool! I love finding other science geeks Graduate school can certainly suck the life out of you, especially if you've got a supervisor who's not willing to work with you!

I didn't actually do a MSc. I started as a MSc student, but I switched to the PhD program after 1 year because I was in love with my project. The whole thing took 5 years (well, the grad school part).

Right now the lab I am in is a means to an end. My goal is to go back to cancer research, not because I know anyone who suffers from cancer, but because everyone does, and because cancer is a complex set of diseases that is really interesting. Former teachers and my PhD supervisor have been my main motivation.

I am currently a postdoc in a University lab. My PI works closely with industry, so we have that connection as well. He's very interested in taking his drugs to market, which is a skill I hope to acquire before I start my own lab.

Lame, I know, but I met my DH in Junior High. I was in grade 9. We started dating that same year and have been together ever since
Anitha likes this.
July 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM
AmbzAsh's Avatar Little Miss Sunshine
Great pictures!!

Love your little girl's name too, btw!! Very pretty!

How long have you and DH been together?
What is your favorite thing to do in your "down time?"
Is your DH excited to be having a little girl?
July 15th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbzAsh View Post
Great pictures!!

Love your little girl's name too, btw!! Very pretty!

How long have you and DH been together?
What is your favorite thing to do in your "down time?"
Is your DH excited to be having a little girl?
I've been with Luke for 15 years, which is half of my lifetime at this point

Favourite thing in my downtime? Probably play games with friends. We play many a board game over many a beer. Favourites include Settlers of Catan, Cards against Humanity, and Taboo. It has been difficult to have as much fun when you're the DD all the time though

DH is definitely excited. We have been trying for awhile now, so he would have been happy with whatever gender came our way, but I think there is something special between dads and their little girls He spends lots of time talking to her and playing his guitar for her.
Anitha likes this.
July 16th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecatlady View Post
I grew up on the water and am pretty sure that I have salt water in my veins. We spent a lot of time on the boat. I use to go out fishing with my dad (who's a fisherman) a lot when I was a kid to 'help'. We go out recreationally as well - we tie rafts or inner tubes to his motor boat and go out on the harbour - it's a lot of fun! We have friends who go water skiing, but I am FAR too clumsy to try this! I use to go fishing with dad (not for dad's work, but for fun) all the time when I was little. He's already looking forward to taking our little one out and has already bought her rubber boots When not on the harbour, I spent most of my time on the beach. I grew up about 5 minutes away from a provincial park with one of the most beautiful beaches in the province - summers were rough The picture of home is actually where DH grew up (literally his back yard), which is near where I grew up. We do a lot of kayaking and canoeing there.
That's really awesome! We do a lot of those things up at my family's cottage, but it's a shared family cottage so we don't get very much time each year. I love fishing and boating too. We just got back from a trip up there - I obviously passed on the tubing and waterskiing this year but normally I have a lot of fun with those (well, tubing - I have yet to stand up properly on waterskiis but hopefully next year). That's so sweet about your dad looking forward to taking your little one out.

Beautiful name, too!

What was your wedding like?

Do you have any pets? I'm assuming you've got at least one kitty based on your username.

July 16th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
That's really awesome! We do a lot of those things up at my family's cottage, but it's a shared family cottage so we don't get very much time each year. I love fishing and boating too. We just got back from a trip up there - I obviously passed on the tubing and waterskiing this year but normally I have a lot of fun with those (well, tubing - I have yet to stand up properly on waterskiis but hopefully next year). That's so sweet about your dad looking forward to taking your little one out.

Beautiful name, too!

What was your wedding like?

Do you have any pets? I'm assuming you've got at least one kitty based on your username.
Thanks

Standing up on skis is hard! I tried regular skiing once, dislocated my knee, and then wiped out in a pack of snowboarders who were sitting on the hill taking a lesson before falling over the side of the hill. Good times!

We had a VERY small wedding. I'm not one to be the centre of attention, and we didn't want to drop a bunch of cash (plus we were poor students). Both of our moms made food, we had an outdoor ceremony in his folks garden, and followed it up with a BBQ. We had about 20 people, namely immediate family and very close friends.

I have two cats - Foxxy and Bowie, who are officially Foxxy Love and David Bowie. Foxxy is really smart and knows how to work it to get what she wants, and Bowie is beautiful, but probably the stupidest creature I've ever set eyes on. He demands on being the centre of attention and has made Pheobe's bed his own (until we locked it away), so it will be interesting to see how he deals with being the second in command
July 16th, 2013, 08:56 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
You sound unbelievably cool. If you ever come to TX, there will be beers. And we will talk about geeky things and then laugh about how much smarter than me you are.

Questions:

1. When you got to the end of Catcher in the Rye for the first time, did you curse the book to hell and toss it out the window and march around pissed off about it, muttering things under your breath like "*** DID I JUST READ?"

Or is that just me?

(It's one of my favorite books of all time... but I swear that's my reaction every time I'm done with it.)

2. I have no idea what your job is. I read your response, but I don't get it. So I'm just going to come out and ask: How close are we to cloning people? I've decided that you know the answer to this. And if you tell me you don't, I'm going to assume that you're part of a government conspiracy to cover up a Canadian clone army.

HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE?

3. What is in the water in Canada that makes people so nice and laid back and chill? And can we force feed it to Americans?

4. How much bigger have your boobs gotten since you've been pregnant?

5. Where does your screen name come from? I kind of like to picture it being literal and think of you as this little bitty woman surrounded by kittens.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

July 17th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Veteran
You sound unbelievably cool. If you ever come to TX, there will be beers. And we will talk about geeky things and then laugh about how much smarter than me you are.

I've got to say that I love your questions, always so much fun! I'll look you up if I'm ever in Texas! Beers will be amazing! Always happy to talk about geeky stuff as long as it's not all shop talk While I'm smarter than you in certain ways, there are many many ways you're smarter than me! I spend most of my life focusing on specific things such that I'm completely oblivious about most other things going on in the world. I suck at history, current events, geography, travel, culture, music, etc, but I can explain why it takes 10 days to get over a cold, why they put all that crap in vaccines, why some people can smoke their whole lives and not get lung cancer, why drug companies are NOT evil, and why you'll never see A cure for cancer

Questions:

1. When you got to the end of Catcher in the Rye for the first time, did you curse the book to hell and toss it out the window and march around pissed off about it, muttering things under your breath like "*** DID I JUST READ?"

Or is that just me?

(It's one of my favorite books of all time... but I swear that's my reaction every time I'm done with it.)

Not just you! I remember thinking...I should have read this when I was a teenager! Everyone feels like this when they're young! But then at the ending I was not sure *** was going on at all! I thought that the whole thing was basically a journal that this kid who likes writing wrote (like any other kid), whereas DH is convinced that he ended up in a mental hospital and that the book was part of his therapy. We're still not sure. I did love his sister though - she was loyal and wise beyond her years

2. I have no idea what your job is. I read your response, but I don't get it. So I'm just going to come out and ask: How close are we to cloning people? I've decided that you know the answer to this. And if you tell me you don't, I'm going to assume that you're part of a government conspiracy to cover up a Canadian clone army.

HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE?

That would be pretty awesome as long as I decided who would be cloned! There are many Canadians who would not meet the criteria, including our leaders!
To answer your question, cloning a human is absolutely possible, but there would be problems. First, you'd need to have a female relative provide an egg in order for all the genetic material to match (eggs contain extra DNA that becomes part of every cell in your body, whereas sperm is just nuclear DNA). You'd also need an intact cell, such as a skin cell. Once you replace the nucleus in the egg (which only has half the DNA you'd need) with the nucleus of the skin cell the egg would start dividing like it does at conception, and you'd implant it in a surrogate to form a clone. The problems are that the DNA would be too old (as we age our cells divide and the DNA gets shorter, so you'd start off with less DNA than you would if conception occurred naturally). Plus, you'd end up with a twin that was born years after you and not an exact copy since environmental influences are extremely important. So, you might end up with a clone who is a musical prodigy or a drugged out bum with a short lifetime

3. What is in the water in Canada that makes people so nice and laid back and chill? And can we force feed it to Americans?

HAHA! I love this reputation! I'd argue that this personality trait depends on where you were born and where you live. Where I come from people are ridiculously friendly. You never leave someone stranded on the street. If someone loses a loved one or if their kid wants to fly somewhere to compete in something, then the whole community gets together and raises money to ease the burden (my family and community raised about $2000 for me to go to university). Now, in Vancouver, people are way more up their own *****. It shocked me when I first moved here. I've been called weirdly friendly in Vancouver, but that's because I grew up in the East where people are usually happy, always say hello to strangers, and hold the door open for the person behind them even if they're 15 meters away. Toronto is the worst. I drove across the country to get here and have travelled a lot. Friendly people are found in Atlantic Canada, Quebec, Manitoba, and in general small towns across the country. If there is something in the water, they don't put it in the supply in the larger cities, except maybe Montreal (as long as the people aren't driving )

4. How much bigger have your boobs gotten since you've been pregnant?

Would you believe they haven't!? I had a huge rack before getting knocked up. I also lost about 20lb in the first trimester, so my bra size is actually smaller, but still huge

5. Where does your screen name come from? I kind of like to picture it being literal and think of you as this little bitty woman surrounded by kittens.

The name came from a different message board after trying everything with no success. I love all animals, but have been called a crazy cat lady because I like to take in animals off the street and am a huge sucker for anything that looks helpless, and because my mom gave me an old rocking chair that she refinished. My work wife told me all I needed was to be single for the name to fit. Unfortunately, crazycatlady, which is much more appropriate as I'm not little, was already taken.
July 17th, 2013, 07:58 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
Oh my gosh... trying to READ what your degree was in gave me a hard time. I am an art teacher.. haha. I feel like a dunce.

Love all of your pictures! My DH can never take a serious picture... haha.

OK I may have missed this, but what books do you like to read? Any certain type?
Do you like video games?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
July 17th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbert View Post
Oh my gosh... trying to READ what your degree was in gave me a hard time. I am an art teacher.. haha. I feel like a dunce.

Love all of your pictures! My DH can never take a serious picture... haha.

OK I may have missed this, but what books do you like to read? Any certain type?
Do you like video games?
lol. I study bacteria and blood, and it makes me feel like a dunce often enough

It's much more fun to take silly pictures

My supervisor use to make fun of me by telling me that I wont like a book unless everyone dies in the end, which is partly true. I'm not sure what flavour of book you'd call them, but my favourites include Catcher in the Rye, A Thousand Splendid Suns, A Tale of Two Cities, The Book of Negros, and Augusten Burroughs books (kind of different fom the others).

I like old video games, mostly because they remind me of being a kid. I find new games too complicated and distracting.

Last edited by littlecatlady; July 17th, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
July 18th, 2013, 04:02 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Would you consider meeting a DDC mama when baby born for a playdate?

What is your favorite desert?

Do you have any pets?

What kind of vehicle do you drive?

4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

July 18th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Veteran
Would you consider meeting a DDC mama when baby born for a playdate?
Sure would! Most of my friends are not friends of children, and I already feel like I know most of you ladies already! Plus, I want my kid to learn how to be social at a young age.

What is your favorite desert?
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]Hmm...difficult question. Probably ice cream![/COLOR]

Do you have any pets?
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]Two cats who demand far too much of my attention![/COLOR]

What kind of vehicle do you drive?
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]We just bought a new Hyundai Accent before I got my BFP. Before that I had an old Buick that my in-laws gave to us. It nearly died on our drive to Vancouver, so it was time for an upgrade [/COLOR]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search