Mamas who freeze meals often/who have fed the freezer before

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Sk8ermaiden
  • 2 Post By rebecca0217
  • 1 Post By Sk8ermaiden
  • 1 Post By Keakie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
What do you use to freeze your meals? I freeze things often and thought that our Glad containers were supposed to be really good about preventing freezer burn, but I just sorted through our freezer and a lot of the random soups and mixes I've frozen over the last few months are all pretty freezer burnt. I threw out the worst of it and will have to see how the other ones thaw (we're going to try to use them up over the next week or two), but we're really disappointed with how poorly the Glad containers did.

Since we'll probably be doing our post-partum cooking in the next little while, I'd really like to make sure that whatever we freeze our meals in will do better. It would be a huge waste to cook everything ahead of time and have half of it be inedible by the time we need it. What do you use to freeze your food?

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
July 20th, 2013, 12:35 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just use the Ziploc freezer storage bags. Did you use the glad freezer containers? If I freeze a casserole, I put a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum. It might just be that you had your things in the freezer too long?

July 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If i am freezing meat or something in a marinade, I do the ziplock freezer bags, and carefully squeeze all the air out.

For my casseroles and other stuff, I use the foodsaver.

The key with freezer cooking is to get out all the air. So things like glad containers aren't that great because there's room for air at the top. Putting a layer of saran down on the top of the food would help but still not be great.
Keakie likes this.

July 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DH and I finally broke down and bought a foodsaver last fall. OMG it is amazing. I used it to freeze my applesauce last year and I still have perfect looking and very tasty bags left. We also use it to freeze our berries. We originally bought it so that when we hit Costco I could immediately freeze the pork and ground beef we bought. The ONLY time I have trouble with it is if you don't cut the bag big enough or you fill it too much and then it doesn't suck out all the air BUT if you hit the cancel button soon enough you can pull the bag out, take some of the food out ir simply readjust the bag and start the process over and it will remove the air and seal fine. It really has been the biggest money saver for us and that is what I plan on using when I start making our freezer meals.
Keakie and Dolly Lama like this.

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
July 20th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for posting this because I have been wondering the same. Sounds like a foodsaver may be in order.
July 21st, 2013, 12:59 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As an excuse to avoid cleaning my messy house, I've been looking into this a little further. The search term "freezer food" has yielded quite a few results, most of them being blogs written by ladies who do this on a regular basis...They literally cook one day a month, and that's about it! The best piece of advice that I've seen is to make whatever (casserole, lasagna ect.) in a pan lined with aluminum foil, then plastic wrap, then to freeze it. After it's fully frozen, pop out the casserole popsicle and put it in a freezer bag, squeezing out the air. Not only is it flat and will store easily, but you get your pan back.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am seriously considering doing this on a regular basis. I can see it saving money by cutting down on waste, plus saving time and aggravation because I won't have to really figure much out or spend a lot time cleaning the kitchen.
July 21st, 2013, 02:26 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I buy the disposable aluminum pans 3 for $1 at the dollar store. I think the 9x9s. Then I can foodsaver them perfectly, still in the pan. It lets me make as many as I want at once. Even if you're going the freeze in the pan, then pop out route, I would STILL foodsaver. You're not going to keep all the air out with saran and a ziplock.
Dolly Lama likes this.

July 21st, 2013, 03:25 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I'm not sure if I'm ready to make the commitment and pick up a foodsaver, but the information about removing the air helps a lot. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I didn't realize the extra air in the top of the Glad containers was probably the root of my problems (which I should have figured out since I always make a point to squeeze the air out of the Ziploc bags that I put raw meat into and I almost never have problems with freezer burn with those). I did read about placing an extra level of saran or aluminum foil to help with that, and another blog I was reading through also mentioned that I could place smaller bags or Glad containers into a bigger freezer bag too to put another layer between the food and the cold air (and I would be able to reuse the freezer bags that way too).

BJ's has packs of 30 disposable baking pans for $6.50 so I'll probably go with that for the casserole-style dishes, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly Lama View Post
As an excuse to avoid cleaning my messy house, I've been looking into this a little further. The search term "freezer food" has yielded quite a few results, most of them being blogs written by ladies who do this on a regular basis...They literally cook one day a month, and that's about it! The best piece of advice that I've seen is to make whatever (casserole, lasagna ect.) in a pan lined with aluminum foil, then plastic wrap, then to freeze it. After it's fully frozen, pop out the casserole popsicle and put it in a freezer bag, squeezing out the air. Not only is it flat and will store easily, but you get your pan back.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am seriously considering doing this on a regular basis. I can see it saving money by cutting down on waste, plus saving time and aggravation because I won't have to really figure much out or spend a lot time cleaning the kitchen.
I was reading about that too! I don't know if I'd want to do an entire month at a time (I actually like cooking and there are some things that just don't freeze well) but it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a few extra things to just have on hand so that if something comes up unexpectedly (we're sick, or we planned a trip to the grocery store that didn't happen, or we're out late, etc) we wouldn't be stuck with fast food or scrounging leftovers.
Dolly Lama likes this.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search