OT rant: my mother is driving me crazy!

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ValyntineG

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran
Sorry in advance for the rant, but I feel it's needed...
DH and I went to Ikea today to see what was available for cribs/mattresses. We found a crib that we liked, but they were out of stock and had shipping issues, so we decided to go with one from Sears. We found a mattress we liked though, but I was getting overwhelmed trying to decide what is best for my LO since I'm new at this and hormonal. We finally made our decision, but I decided to call my mom first to make sure that the mattress would fit the crib sheets she made. Backing up for a second...my mom decided to make sheets by hand once she found out I was pregnant because she thinks that store bought ones are too expensive and poorly made. I told her to hold off making anything until we picked out a crib and mattress. She didn't listen amd instead worked off of measurements of most mattresses she saw online. She wanted me to wait until she gets to Vancouver so that we can buy a crib together, but she only wants to stay here a week, and I'm sure I'm not going to want to run all over the city trying to find something we can agree on.
Okay, so I called her and asked her what the minimal mattress thickness should be since Ikea crib mattresses tend to be smaller. She told me 4". I said "Great! This is what we picked out". Then she went on a wild rant saying that all of her sheets are for 5.5-6" mattresses, that Ikea stuff is ****** (despite never setting foot in an Ikea or seeing any of their products), that we were going to have to find some way of pinning back excess material so that the baby wouldn't suffocate on the sheets, basically told me to be extrememly careful since the baby would somehow lift the mattress off the crib and somehow get underneath it suffocating themselves, etc, until I felt like a crap parent who couldn't be trusted to make any decisions. Then she went on to talk about how I should get a crib from Walmart because their **** is so great . Besides, there is one bloody Walmart near us and they don't even have baby furniture, all of which I told her already! Well, then she started with the...well I suppose worst case scenario I can give them to someone else line making me feel like an *** for not agreeing with everything she said. Ugh, I'm so annoyed right now! We decided to not buy the mattress we liked because #1 the ONLY reason I called her was to see whether the bloody sheets would fit, which they would with the first measurement she gave me, but not the second. #2 the one at Sears is on sale and will fit. I just don't understand why she felt the need to guilt trip me about it when I was trying to be considerate in the first place, despite the fact that she didn't listen to me when I suggested she hold off until we pick out a crib
July 21st, 2013, 07:57 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
Ok... don't murder me in my sleep, but I'm going to try and gently play Devil's Advocate a little bit.

Ikea mattresses do have different dimensions than most standard mattresses, so it's very likely that it wouldn't have fit the crib you picked out anyway. They mostly just fit the Ikea cribs... and even then, I hear there's a pretty large gap between the mattress and the crib rails. I remember a friend of mine freaking out about it earlier this year.

I'm sure mom was just trying to be nice and then got frustrated when she realized she put so much work into something you may or may not use.

All that said, it sounds like she was the opposite of helpful and probably overreacted. I mean, you called her before you bought it... what else does the woman want? My mom can be the same way sometimes and it's really annoying that she's constantly trying to talk me out of **** that I've already picked out.

Hang in there, hot stuff. We're almost done and we'll hate our mothers a lot less when it's all over. I promise.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

July 21st, 2013, 08:12 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree. If you bough an ikea mattress and not an ikea crib, you would have been taking back one or the other. Their mattresses are different than everyone else's. But their stuff is awesome and your mom is on crack.

Sorry she was a butt. My BFF has a mom who goes off like that with weird opinions that don't even makes sense and there's no talking her down from them. I don't know how she doesn't kill her!

July 21st, 2013, 08:17 PM
Veteran
Haha! I wouldn't murder you
I totally listen to what she has to say (most of the time it's helpful), but I got two two completely different answers to a simple question this time. I read her the dimensions (all of them) first and she told me they were all standard except for the thickness. I value her opinion, but I don't like getting different stories and then being made feeling like an ***. Ugh. The hormones and guilt trips are killing me
July 21st, 2013, 08:49 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
I like to mentally imagine slapping my mom in the face. It helps. Especially since I would totally feel guilty about doing that in real life and it reminds me that I actually love her.
manda622 and littlecatlady like this.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

July 22nd, 2013, 06:35 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Sorry about all of the crib drama! I have absolutely no BTDT, but I just wanted say that I totally get how frustrating it can be to call someone up with a simple question and get all kinds of extra opinions and advice instead. I'd be a little annoyed that she didn't wait despite being asked to, too. I'm glad there seems to be an option that will work for you and will also fit her sheets, though!

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
July 22nd, 2013, 09:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ugh ...moms are special - that's all I can say without going off on an OT mom rant of my own and derailing your thread!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search