37 week appointment

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He checked me and I am still not dilated I can't be pregnant forever though, so I'm not too upset because I have like 19 days left until my due date, so she is coming out soon whether she likes it or not! & my strep B came back positive, which is kind of scary, but he said I shouldn't be worried unless he is worried!

August 16th, 2013, 09:54 AM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was dialated to a one at my last appt. But, the dr. said that is common in women who have had babies before. I wouldn't worry about dialation. It happens fast sometimes!! Sorry about the strep B. :-( I've never had it, so don't have any advice. I think it's common though.

August 16th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
IT is a bummer when you go in and they tell you that nothing is happening!!! That will change though and if it doesn't you still won't be pg forever! As much as ppl don't like C-sections it is an option for getting that baby in your arms if your body isn't cooperating.
About the GBS thing-it really isn't that bad. The sucking part is the IV antibiotics while at the hospital. As long as you were already planning a hospital birth and pain meds it really doesn't affect your experience. As a first timer you will probably get to the hospital earlier than necessary anyways so it gives you plenty of time to get hooked up and medicated to the doc's satisfaction before baby comes. I was GBS positive last time -although my swab came back negative at 36 weeks, I apparently had a positive urine culture like 6 months earlier so the OB decided that I should have the antibiotics anyways. A lot of women come up positive and have no complications at all, so I agree with your Doc, don't worry yourself about it!!

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
August 16th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Well my doctor said 15% of women are carriers of GBS, so I don't think its that common, but I'm not really worried about anything anymore, just hope my body gets with the program so I can avoid a c-section.

August 16th, 2013, 10:31 AM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
Sorry about the GBS. It was found in my urine last month, so I'll be needing the antibiotics too. I've never had it before and this is my sixth. I know others who have had it and everything turned out fine, so I'm trying not to hype about it. I really think it is more common than they say.
August 16th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I've heard pretty mixed statistics about GBS - my mw said up to 50% of women are colonized to some degree. In any case, it's really not a big deal (especially if you're not paralyzingly afraid of IVs like I am). It's not harmful to mother. It *can* cause infection in babies when they're born and if that happens it sounds like it can be kind of scary, but FWIW the odds of a baby being infected even with a GBS+ mother are something like less than 5% (I forget off hand but it's pretty low). Most care providers simply give you IV antibiotics while you're laboring and that's that. You can decline the IV antibiotics and in that case, most doctors will just have you stay in the hospital for an extra day or two to ensure that the baby didn't pick up the GBS bacteria.

Don't worry about dilation (or lack thereof). It doesn't necessarily mean your body isn't preparing. Not much longer now, mama!

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my fabulous siggie!
August 16th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
^^Exactly what she said I was GBS+ for my last two pregnancies and you just get two doses (if possible) of antibiotics during labor. It only takes something like 30 minutes to put in a dose. It really is no big deal. I am hoping they can do my GBS test at my next appt for the u/s next week. Right now there are no appts available in two weeks for my 36 week check-up, so I am on a waiting list. Gotta love military health care!

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
August 16th, 2013, 02:57 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
yep as the others said dilation isn't much of an indicator of much with your first...can make progress at any point! i was 1cm barely at almost 39 weeks with my first.

As far as gbs i think the other girls covered it, but while it may seem like15% isn't much, i think EVERYONE knows someone who has had it. i haven't yet, but that doesn't mean i won't...probably getting swabbed on monday. joy. as long as you get your antibiotics it's all good. the only thing that is really important is that they know.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
August 16th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was GBS+ with both of mine and didn't have time for the full dose of antibiotics with either of them, so like Kayla said, they kept me an extra day to keep an eye on them.

And like the others have said, don't stress about the dilation! It can mean something but usually means nothing!

August 16th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Thank you ladies!

August 16th, 2013, 07:59 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not dilated either. Bummer. My cervix is even really high still, though soft. Oh well. It can change so fast, it really doesn't tell you that much anyway (this is what I like to tell myself, lol).

And Strep B is really nothing to be scared about. Any complications from it are so easy to prevent, it's super rare for a baby to get sick from it. Don't worry about it. I've been positive for a couple pregnancies and negative for a couple. It's annoying, only because I'd rather not have the IV. I will probably find out in a few days whether mine came back positive or not.

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search