Meeting Miah!

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree123Likes

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My cervix still is not dilated, I had a whole essay written out for my doctor as to why I should be induced thinking he would say no today, and surprisingly he said yes! I go in Tuesday night at 8:30 p.m. and he is going to start me on some prostaglandin stuff to ripen my cervix and hopefully dilate it, and Wednesday morning he is going to check me, if I am still not dilated he will give me more medicine, and he said if I am not making any changes by Wednesday night/ Thursday morning we might have to do a c section, which I really do not want..so I pray my cervix starts acting right. BUT we will be meeting Miah next week, hopefully Wednesday!!!! SO EXCITING!!!

Oh and he checked my cervix and I am bleeding now, I called the nurse and she said it's normal, but I haven't seen blood in 10 months so it's freaking me out. lol

August 23rd, 2013, 09:39 AM
321abc
It's normal to spot after a cervical check.
I'm hoping you make some progress on your own, sounds like you have a long road ahead of you. I'm sure you have weighed out the pros and cons and feel comfortable with your decision. Good luck!
August 23rd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That is exciting! Hopefully the induction will go smoothly and you can avoid the c-section KUP!

I ditto that bleeding after a cervical check is completely normal - there is such an increase of blood flow down there that the slightest disturbance can cause bleeding.

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
August 23rd, 2013, 09:51 AM
Yep the pros beat the cons! If my doctor says it's safe, then I say it's safe! & I'll definitely be updating on here, starting Tuesday night!

August 23rd, 2013, 09:51 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol, you are braver than I for wanting an induction!

I don't want to rain on your parade... I know these last weeks are a hard wait (trust me!!) but make sure you know what you're getting into. Induction greatly increases the chance of a c-section. And remember that if that happened it will affect the rest of your pregnancies. Most community hospitals will literally not let you have a vaginal birth after you've had a cesarean so you'll have to jump through hoops and deliver at a big medical center if there's one near you. That's what I'm going through right now. I had 1 c-section and now I can't deliver at my regular hospital and I have to go to the huge hospital that's over an hour away, which also means my doctors can't deliver with me. It's a big headache.

I know you are so done. Just saying, don't forget to consider how this may affect future pregnancies.

Induction also tends to be slower and more painful than spontaneous labor. But then again, some people get induced and have the baby vaginally 4 hours later (like my MIL)! You just never know. For me, the contractions were MUCH worse on pitocin than natural labor, and much less effective. So more pain, less dilation. Not cool. I know that's common.

Weigh your options, mama. Think it through. If you do get induced, I hope it goes great!!

KUP!
TnPhotoMama81 and Revilonivek like this.

[/url]

Last edited by TaraJo29; August 23rd, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
August 23rd, 2013, 10:00 AM
I have been through this 3 times on this DDC, I know you mean well but I know what I want, I have googled it, and talked to my doctor about it, and I have heard a thousand other opinions, this is what I want. & If I have to have a c section it's not the end of the world, just a harder recovery..I would have had to been induced anyways because my cervix isn't favorable, so regardless, it would have been this coming up week or next week, I just took sooner rather than later!

August 23rd, 2013, 10:02 AM
321abc
Poor girl. I know you've had an ear full from most of us about how painful and potentially dangerous inductions can be.
Just know that it's because we just want to make sure you have educated yourself about them. I was in your boat with my last pregnancy and was induced with only pitocin (actually I was at a 1 but I wasn't effaced much at all) and it worked.
A very long day but it worked.
Sometimes we just need to decide for ourselves.
You won't know how you feel about inductions truley until you've had one yourself.
August 23rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I've never done this before so I don't know, but I want to experience it myself. and if It is absolutely horrible then I will know not to do it again, but I could have a wonderful experience..

August 23rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
321abc
My last suggestion for you is to research pain management and decide what you want before you get to the hospital. Even if you plan to go without, have a backup just in case.

I have a very high pain tollerance but after 7-8 hours of
Pitocin contractions without a cervical change I ended up with iv pain meds and then an epidural. Not saying this to scare you, just so you will be prepared. No one told me.
It ended up OK. Just not my ideal birth plan
August 23rd, 2013, 10:42 AM
"Shay-see"
Best of luck, and good for you going for what you want in the face of what is probably a tremendous amount of discouragement from every direction. If you've done your homework and made your decision, then that's that. More power to you.

May I ask you if you're getting an epi or if you're going to try it without? I'm avoiding induction because of my history of C/S (otherwise I would much rather do that than get another surgery). I'm not actually sure what my approach to pain meds would be if I were being induced.

Best wishes for a speedy and successful birth - looking forward to the birth story
Grlsshp9 likes this.
August 23rd, 2013, 10:54 AM
I am definetly getting an epidural! I'm not going to try to act like its not going to be painful.. but yeah ive done the research and now im just waiting impatiently for Tuesday to come!

August 23rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
Super Mommy
It is hard for first time moms to appreciate labor until after they've been through an experience with their first baby. That is why the moms here are hesitant when you're talking about forced induction without a good reason. It's an emotional hell to go through especially in the weeks after the birth/c section.

C-section is the worst...your abdominal muscles get cut open.. you could barely get up without so much pain... walk with so much pain... it wasn't the best experience. It would make you wish you didn't have one. I would rather have vaginal birth over that. I'm going for a vbac this time and hope for a vbac success but am prepared for another c-section.

Emotionally, after my first birth, I felt like I failed as a woman because I had the c-section. It is a power thing and women understand that.

Just let her have it.. It's so easy to take things for granted especially the first time around. she'll find out soon enough anyway and be wiser with deciding what kind of experience she really wants with her second. Life is all about choices.. her life, her choices, her decisions, her baby.

Denise

Thank you Kiliki for this beautiful siggy!

August 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Veteran
I'm certainly not going to rag on you. I know you're done
I hope it goes well for you and you don't need surgery. Can't wait to see pictures of your little princess!!! I'm be hoping for a quick and easy delivery for you! KUP!
Grlsshp9 likes this.
August 23rd, 2013, 11:23 AM
Thank you! I think everything will go great (:

August 23rd, 2013, 11:31 AM
321abc
And who knows! You could go into labor on your own before they start the induction. People go from not dilated to labor often
Keakie and Grlsshp9 like this.
August 23rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I hope all goes smoothly for you and Miah.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
August 23rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlsshp9 View Post
I would have had to been induced anyways because my cervix isn't favorable, so regardless, it would have been this coming up week or next week, I just took sooner rather than later!
I know I don't post here anymore, but since this used to my DDC, I still lurk here, checking on all of you! Anyway, I am by no means judging you. I was induced twice (once at 40 1/2 weeks because she just want not ready at all and then once at 38 weeks and I was already 4cm dilated at the time - a week before that I was at 2cm.) and I personally had no problems either time.

I am just curious by your above statement, saying that you would be induced regardless. Can I just ask, why that is? Will your Dr. not let you go past your due date? Once again, I am honestly not judging you either way. I am just curious as to what you meant by that, that is all
August 23rd, 2013, 11:55 AM
"Shay-see"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revilonivek View Post
Emotionally, after my first birth, I felt like I failed as a woman because I had the c-section. It is a power thing and women understand that.
I'm sorry you felt that way. I felt that way, too, and in retrospect I fully reject that I ever felt like that at all. It was so damaging and so unnecessary - especially given that I had put EVERY LAST effort forth to bring my child safely into the world on my own - even in the face of pushy/moderately competent medical staff, panicking family members, and a general lack of self-worth. What resulted was a category-five postpartum depression that destroyed my life and my family. Why? Because I needed surgery to pull out my ~10lb baby? Who knows; if I had gotten an elective induction at 39w, I may have been able to do it vaginally and felt like a champ. Regardless of any of that, though, my baby was alive and healthy; feeling like a failure at that point makes no sense whatsoever.

It's important to ask ourselves if just maybe the reason a lot of women feel a sense of failure after a C/S is due to the language that constantly surrounds this stuff. I would like to share an article I recently read that was particularly healing for me:

There's no right or wrong way to give birth | Essential Mums

In the end it's important to realize that we are all amazing, we are all accomplished, and we are all successful. If you have brought another human being into this world, that one fact outshines all of the little details about what kind of assistance you might have had in doing so. Having a baby has never been something a woman does on her own except in rare and extreme circumstances (that I personally wouldn't wish on anyone). Perhaps the journey itself is yours, but other people line the path to support you along the way. If they are wearing scrubs and holding scalpels, it doesn't make it any less your journey or any less beautiful that you've gone on it - you know?
August 23rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Super Mommy
I don't feel like that anymore. I've accepted that already. My son was born healthy and safe. who knows what could have happened. I was talking about the adjusting period right after a csection that lasted for a few months to a couple years was the hardest emotionally. I'm fine now. But it would be great to avoid that if you could. My c section was unnecessary but what can you do after that? It's a long story. If it was a true emergency, I would have never felt that way to begin with. Make sense ? It left alot of emotions for me. Why do you think moms wanted to try for a vbac the second time around and would fight for that right? It's the power thing I was talking abt. Just saying c sections aren't a walk in the park either. I would love to experience what it felt like to give birth vaginally. Women rave abt it... I felt at the time of c section that I felt cheated or depraved by that experience but I am forever grateful for a second chance at experiencing that but I'm used to the idea of anther c section anyway. What can I do at this point? I've accepted it either way. I would never intentionally increase my chances for a c section just because I want the baby out sooner. Just saying.

It doesn't matter. It may even work out for Maria. She's young, healthy and her baby is healthy. Whatever she wants. It's her right and it may be fine. I'm happy for her but can't help but worry for her too. It's once in a lifetime experience and its the best thing ever. Just saying.
TnPhotoMama81 and Keakie like this.

Thank you Kiliki for this beautiful siggy!

August 23rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbaby View Post
I am just curious by your above statement, saying that you would be induced regardless. Can I just ask, why that is? Will your Dr. not let you go past your due date? Once again, I am honestly not judging you either way. I am just curious as to what you meant by that, that is all
He won't let me go past my due date..

Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search