Quick question from a FTM

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dolly Lama
  • 1 Post By L-SBB
  • 1 Post By Sk8ermaiden

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2013, 06:39 AM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
Hey! First off I want to say I hope everyone has a healthy, safe, and happy rest of their pregnancies and delivery! I am from the October DDC and your host said I could ask y'all a question real quick. I'm a FTM and plan on breast feeding but just to be on the safe side I wanted to get a few types of bottles. I have a few Nuk bottles, and one Avent bottle. My question is what type are y'all getting?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the awesome siggy!
August 25th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even if I manage to successfully BF, I'm going to want to pump to so someone other than me can feed the baby - guess I need to figure this out too. Hopefully someone here with more experience will chime in and give us both some advice.
CountryMedic911 likes this.
August 25th, 2013, 07:11 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I BF but also pump for when i return for work, so use bottles too...my fav with DD were Avent, so i got those this time too...babies can be picky though, so dont buy many and if yours for whatever reason doesnt prefer, try a few other brands and/or different nipple types. Good luck to you!
iCathy likes this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
August 25th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is so individual, just like what kind of paci your baby will like! With DD, we bought the Avent, but later found out it was causing ALL her latch issues! (Even though Avent is often good for latch.) Switched to Dr. Browns and they were great for her. This time I have stocked up on Dr. Browns...

August 25th, 2013, 09:19 AM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
I have used playtex drop ins with both of our previous children who were FF and BF. I plan on using them this time as well.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop
August 25th, 2013, 09:21 AM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll second the playtex drop ins! It was the only bottle my last baby would take at all!

August 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Thank you all so much. There's just so many options out there it gets overwhelming.

August 25th, 2013, 09:55 AM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
Great question! I haven't bought any bottles yet because I plan to BF, but also want to pump. Just NO idea what type to get!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
August 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbert View Post
Great question! I haven't bought any bottles yet because I plan to BF, but also want to pump. Just NO idea what type to get!
That's the same issue I had! But y'all and the ladies on my DDC have been a big help

August 25th, 2013, 11:18 AM
We bought Avent, Similac, Gerber, and Playtex brands and our favorites have definitely been the Playtex Ventaires. We actually made a Target run specifically to buy a couple more! Our LO doesn't mind the other bottles, but he's definitely less gassy and less likely to spit-up with the Ventaires. Plus we love the shape
August 25th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Juts buy one each of a few types. You won't need a lot of bottles in the beginning anyway if your BFing. Then once you know what baby likes it's easy to place an amazon order or pick some more up.
amyhk likes this.

August 25th, 2013, 12:57 PM
amyhk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, don't buy a whole bunch yet. Every baby is different, and they all prefer different bottles. My LC used to say "the best bottle is the one the baby will take!" So true.

I have friends that exclusively pumped and just used the bottles that came with their pump.

August 25th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Badass
I know it can be daunting with all the options out there but I decided to play it safe and stick to Avent bottles because my friend's baby took to them really well
August 25th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Veteran
I don't have any advice on the type of bottle to get, but I would say to not rush out and get a bunch. With my first, I was so sure that I'd need some bottle for all those times I was planning to pump and let others feed the baby. Yeah... that never happened LOL!! Once we got the hang of breastfeeding, it was just so much easier to nurse than to deal with pumping if I didn't have to. Then, both of my babies ended up completely refusing bottles all together. I would hate for you to spend the money to buy a bunch of bottles and a variety of types and then not even use them like I did.

I would start with maybe one or two of the most popular types (avent? Playtex? I don't even know) and then if/when you need more, whether that's because your baby won't take that type or because you ended up using them frequently and need more, you can get more.
DS ~ October 2007
August 25th, 2013, 09:36 PM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first 2 took Avents, but my 3rd would only take Nuks! You just won't know until you try!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
August 26th, 2013, 12:34 AM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
I bought 3 types to start... Agent, Tommy tippee, and madela. Hopefully he likes one and we don't have to trial and error too much. I work full time so we will definitely need bottles after my leave

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search