BTDT Moms- do I have everything?

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 4sweet
  • 2 Post By Kai452
  • 1 Post By 4sweet
  • 1 Post By My3His1
  • 1 Post By manda622

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2013, 09:01 AM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
Sorry in advance, this will be long! LOL

OK. My baby shower was on Saturday and yesterday I went on a shopping spree. I went to fill out all the things we will need in the first 4 or so months. There's still a few things we need for later, but we also have Christmas coming and his aunts and grandparents will spoil him again.lol.

Anyway, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

for Nursing:
Rocker, boppy, boppy covers, breast pads (one box disposable, some gel soothies, and 12 bamboo reusable), medela wipes and microwave sterilizer bags, nipple cream, 120 freezer storage bags and 3 types of bottles to try. Also I have a few nursing tops, nightgowns, and two nursing sleep bras. Waiting to buy any other nursing sleep wear until after baby is here and I know my size! Pump will be covered by insurance, but needs to be ordered after he's here. Two types of pacifiers just in case.

For diapers:

Cloth diapering so 36 changes newborn and 36 changes one size, 42 cloth wipes, snappis, diaper safe rash cream and detergent, diaper pail, two pail liners, to small wet bags, wipe solution, bag up disposable wipes, cloth diaper safe detergent, two changing pad covers, etc. Skip Hop Studio diaper bag and skip hop changing station.

Clothes:

NB and 0-3 like 20 sleepers, 5-6 cute outfits, 20 or so onesies, 10 pants, 6 hats, 4 pairs of scratch mittens, lots of socks, 6 night gowns

3-6 months- maybe 10 sleepers 8 cute outfits, 10 onesies. Need some more of this, but I think my sis is working on this. lol.

Snow suit

Two hand knit sweaters

Blankets:

8 receiving blankets, 2 muslin swaddlers, 2 swaddle mes, two soft crib blankets and 1 homemade crocheted blanket, 2 sleep sacks (1 sm 1 med).

Burp cloths/wash cloths/towels:

12 wash cloths, 3 hooded towels, 6 burp cloths (but we have 36 prefold diapers as well). And I think like 8-10 bibs.

First aid/grooming/etc:

Brush, comb, clippers, file, medicine dropper, thermometer, nasal aspirator, lotion, shampoo/body wash, infant tylenol, gas drops, saline spray

Sleeping:

Crib, mattress, 3 pairs of sheets. Don't have mattress pad, or bumper yet but he won't be in the crib right away, so not stressed.

Pack n Play with bassinet insert, two pairs of sheets.

Rock n' Play- don't have in possession yet, but one of my aunts is buying it this week. I figure we will set either this or the pack n play up next to the bed, depending on which he likes best!

Car seat:

Graco Click Connect 35, window cling sun shades, and a brica car seat mirror

Other gear:

Graco Stroller (works with car seat)
Fisher Price Swing n Seat
Chicco High Chair (the one that connects to table)
Beco Gemini Carrier
Moby Wrap
Humidifier
Baby food maker
Misc toys and some board books
Play mat (also not in my possession yet, hand me down from a friend)

I think that's everything. It seems like SO much stuff, and we were even trying to be minimal! LOL. Am I missing anything that we will need? I'm getting everything washed tonight and also picking up odds and ends I need for hospital bag. I want to have everything put away and organized by end of this week and have our hospital bags packed by tomorrow...

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

August 26th, 2013, 09:53 AM
4sweet's Avatar Super Mommy
I think you are set. I did not see that you missed anything.
manda622 likes this.

Julian 9/30/06
Logan 12/29/09
Callan 11/4/11
August 26th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks! i feel pretty good about it, but FTM jitters! lol

August 26th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Veteran
...after reading your list I feel a bit unprepared.

I think I have the essentials, though. I have enough stuff to make sure he's fed, clothed, and safe. That's the important part, right? Lol.
manda622 and AshleighR like this.
August 26th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Yes! That's the important part! lol. I defintiely could have done a bit less, I know. I TRIED to be minimalist, but just want to be prepared. hahaha. A lot of that was gifts- people spoiled him at the shower. We bought all our diapers and some of the odds and ends plus the pack n play, that's about it.

August 26th, 2013, 11:01 AM
4sweet's Avatar Super Mommy
Okay I thought of something. We did cloth diapers as well but once they no longer had the black tar poop (was told that it was impossible to get out of cloth). TMI sorry. We started with disposables for about the first week.
Maenfayne likes this.

Julian 9/30/06
Logan 12/29/09
Callan 11/4/11
August 26th, 2013, 11:02 AM
May 2013 Cohost
You are totally set, Mama! Don't worry, you can always get more if you need to when baby is born. I think you're going to find that you won't use half of the stuff though (especially the clothes). Don't wash all of them at once in case you find you don't need all of them...just wash the ones as needed. and keep receipts/tags for returns. Good luck!

Last edited by kary4; August 26th, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
August 26th, 2013, 11:27 AM
As for the meconium- I get mixed stories on whether or not it washed out, some people say it's fine. I do have disposable liners, and was planning to use those at first. I'm afraid if I start out with disposables cloth will seem like too much work? IDK though. I think I might buy a pack of newborn diapers and keep the receipt just in case, and if I don't use them, I'll bring them back? We will use the disposables in the hospital, anyway.

Yeah, we definitely got an overabundance of clothes! A lot of them were given to me barely used from a friend, so those were already washed. I'm not washing any of the shower gifts yet (except for a few really cute pieces that I want to keep really badly). lol

August 26th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Everything looks good to me!

I CD my last one, but we didn't start until she was old enough/big enough to fit into the one size cloth diapers. I will do the same with this one - I actually think sposies are easier to use at first, at least until I get used to the lack of sleep, etc. When they hit 3-4mo old and fit into one-size I have more energy to deal with CDing Do whatever you are most comfy with

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
August 26th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Veteran
Your list looks awesome. I am going through all the stuff I have now. I also had my shower on Saturday and my little boy was spoiled rotten. I also plan to use cloth diapers but not till he is 4 or so months old. I have a couple friends who use the ones I want, and they have all said that even with the smallest size, newborn is still too little and there were lots of leaks, so disposables till he grows into those diapers. I also plan on having some disposables on hand for when he is sick, if he is got the liquid poop, I really think disposables would be best. But that is just my opinion!
August 26th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I think it's probably a good call to keep some disposables on hand. I'll buy a pack of newborns and not open them unless I decide to use them, and I'll probably just do that with each size, to have on hand for back up. Good idea ladies!

The reason I decided to buy newborn sized cloth diapers, is that my husband and I like to dream big and make plans but in reality we can be pretty **** lazy. LOL. So, honestly, I was afraid that if we used sposies for the first few months we would never turn back. Know what I mean? We just really need to make it part of our routine asap. I feel strongly about doing CD because of financial, environmental, and also cuteness reasons. haha. But, I'm afraid given the opportunity I would give into my lazy side! At least I know my shortcomings?

August 26th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Veteran
I had no problems with meconium and cloth diapers with either of my two kids. I used flushable liners and covered their butts with olive oil, which makes it easier to wipe off. Also, just in case you don't know, some diaper rash creams can't be used with cloth because they will clog them up. Just make sure you know so that if you need to use it, youll know whether its okay to continue with cloth or switch to disposables for a time.

Otherwise, I think you've got everything covered. Honestly, you've got way more than you'll likely need and probably won't even use it all
manda622 likes this.
DS ~ October 2007
August 26th, 2013, 03:27 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are one prepared mama!! I think you have more gear than I do and I have 5 kids already! LOL

A couple thoughts:

- Am I remembering right that the Rock N Play sleeper has been recalled? Maybe check on that and make sure.

- Not *essential* but I love my Bundle Me covers for the infant car seat. They have a Bundle Me Lite (lighter material for when it's not freezing yet), and a regular Bundle Me that is fleece. The awesome thing, IMO, is that it can be zipped up to go outside and unzipped in the car so baby doesn't roast, and it doesn't fall off when you're carrying around the seat. Otherwise, it's amazing how many times you will be picking baby blankets off the ground and parking lots because they just slide, baby wiggles, kicks them off, etc. Also, on a safety note, I prefer the Bundle Me to puffy jackets or snow suits because 1) babies who are dressed for winter weather can get dangerously overheated when in the car with the heat on, 2) puffy jackets or snowsuits can make the car seat straps not fit like they're supposed to because there's so much material stuffed under them. If you do use a blanket you can put it under the Bundle Me so it won't fall off and just have baby wear a warm hat and you're golden. Just a thought.

- I don't know how big your stroller is, but I have one sturdy one that the carseat can attach to, and I also like to have one tiny umbrella stroller. The umbrella stroller isn't useful until the baby can sit up well anyway, though, so not like you'd need it asap. But I personally think it's nice to have one because they are so small and portable and sometimes I don't see the need to use the bigger stroller.

I think you are MORE than prepared, though! You just need a baby to go with all that stuff! hehe

[/url]

Last edited by TaraJo29; August 26th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
August 26th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraJo29 View Post
- Am I remembering right that the Rock N Play sleeper has been recalled? Maybe check on that and make sure.
You're right - CPSC - Fisher-Price Recalls to Inspect Rock

It was recalled to inspect for mold between the cover and the frame. It develops when the cover gets soiled wet and isn't cleaned. The link to the Mattel site emphasizes that you need to clean the cover regularly and air it out to prevent mold growth. They also give mold/mildew remediation suggestions.
August 26th, 2013, 07:53 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Holy smokes!! We have a carseat, bouncey chair, bed. Lol poor 3rd child!!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
August 27th, 2013, 05:04 AM
thanks for the info about the recall! it got me reading more about the product, and I've decided to skip it. I never really researched it because so many people just kept reccommending it to me, but I'm glad to eliminate a piece of gear. My aunt is just going to pick something else that's off my registry (maybe our mattress cover and bumper).

I definitely wouldn't have ended up with so much stuff if we had to buy it all ourselves. It's hard as a ftm though because you just don't know what's going to work for you specifically, and you have all the other parents in your life telling you different things. As it is, one of my aunts still thinks I don't have enough. Seriously? LOL.

The Graco carseat I got came with it's own matching "bundle me" type item which is why I didn't put one on my registry. It seems pretty warm- should I get another one? We are going to be dealing with New England winter.

As for a lighter umbrella stroller- definitely on my wish list for later, but not a necessity now, we will buy one closer to spring time, probably. Would definitely be nice to have for spring/summer.

For cloth diaper cream I have babyganics heiny helpers, and earth mama angel baby bottom balm, plus I have coconut oil on hand. All of that is cloth diaper safe according to my research... hopefully, anyway.
My3His1 likes this.

August 27th, 2013, 07:01 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda622 View Post
The Graco carseat I got came with it's own matching "bundle me" type item which is why I didn't put one on my registry. It seems pretty warm- should I get another one? We are going to be dealing with New England winter.
Oh, cool! I don't think I've seen the ones that come with the carseat. If it's basically the same thing and seems warm, I'm sure you don't need to bother with the Bundle Me. I know they are pretty popular now so I bet graco wanted to jump on that money train!

[/url]

August 28th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Veteran
I also got a Graco Travel system, (Graco Mirage Plus Travel System - Charcoal) comes with a car seat with a insulated flap for the legs on the stroller. I also found a few blankets with little feets in them! So you can keep them warm around the legs while they are in the stroller and/or car seat. Of course our winters aren't as cold as New England... We don't get snow.
August 28th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halyanne View Post
I also got a Graco Travel system, (Graco Mirage Plus Travel System - Charcoal) comes with a car seat with a insulated flap for the legs on the stroller. I also found a few blankets with little feets in them! So you can keep them warm around the legs while they are in the stroller and/or car seat. Of course our winters aren't as cold as New England... We don't get snow.
I'll have to keep an eye out for the footed blankets! I've never seen those before!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search