Eviction...er..induction request...frustrated

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree58Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Veteran
My EDD is this friday and I had an appointment today and last week, both of which the drs asked me to pick an induction date! This just seems nuts to me...I'm a FTM and am already 1-2cm and every week they say my cervix is softer than before...the drs ive seen have not been good about giving me a % but at 38 weeks the dr said ~50% effaced. They did an ultrasound @ 37 weeks and she measured perfect to the day, and my dr said that the weight is just an estimate and not something they can really go off of. So..whats the rush on inducing???!
September 10th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They cant make you get induced, so tell them to get on if you want to go naturally. It sounds like you are progressing beautifully, and baby will come when he/she is ready!
justmcurious and MKnaomi like this.

September 10th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My guess is that some docs are just that way-they really like setting a schedule for convenience sake. Or they might think that you want one so they offer.

I have been frustrated too. My EDD is Thursday, I have an appointment tomorrow morning and I really want to have this baby soon! I wouldn't freak out if she came on her due date-my last one did but I would rather have her now!! LOL. Tonight my in-laws will be over so it would be perfect. Have a fun end of summer party, start having contractions, MIL stays while DH and I head to the hospital and the tomorrow morning-baby!! That would be so nice

I would ask your doc why they are talking about induction-they might have a good explanation.
justmcurious likes this.

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
September 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM
CARLACB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You don't have to get induced if you want to even though SOME people do due to selfish reasons. As long as your baby is doing well and you feel okay, then by all means tell them "Thanks but no thanks"

Blended Family of 5 and 1 on the way.
Makhari 6
Maleaha 5
Coty, Jr 7
September 10th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For whatever it's worth, I think it's really wise of you not to let your doctor rush in with an induction when it's not medically necessary. They don't always go well - anyone who is curious can just read through some of our birth stories for evidence of that.

Good luck to you!
September 10th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Veteran
I asked my doctor last week "why" and she said "nothing good is going on for her after her due date, its literally just a waiting game for her to come out." I was absolutely NOT satisfied with that answer, and told her that I am planning on a natural labor/delivery and IF I "have" to get induced I want to wait AS LONG AS POSSIBLE until the last possible minute so that A) she has as much time as possible to come on her own or at the very least B) I have as much time as possible to progress more so hopefully there would be less complications. I also said that I am NOT interested in pitocin at ALL and would prefer to have them strip my membranes/break my water/anything besides pump me full of meds to induce. Lol. That didn't settle well with that dr, she kind of looked at me like I had a second head or something...she said "well we can TRY that but thats going to likely result in a VERY LONG LABOR and if you don't progress we will definitely use pitocin."

I told her that of the people (only taking first time moms into consideration, at my drs surprise...that was her first rebuttal, "oh but they probably weren't first time moms...) that I know that have opted to have their water broken to induce, they have had fairly short labors---5 to 8 ish hours. Meanwhile those that I know that have opted to medically induce, have had LONG labors, like 30+ and thats not even considering the many that I know that ended up having a c-section bc they didnt progress.

Anyway, I saw a different dr today and she was more polite and less pushy about it, but said that babies past their due date have an increased chance of meconium aspiration, cerebral palsy, and she listed a few other things too (didnt stick because I kind of tune them out when they start nagging about inductions...haha )...I thought "post term" was AFTER 42 weeks? And I thought most all of the risks went up once you are post term??

*I hope this doesnt offend anyone, I know inductions are a hot topic, I mostly feel like its a decision each mom needs to make on her own (or with DH)...its just that its definitely not something I am personally interested in!!

Not sure if I mentioned this already, but both doctors pretty told me "no later than 41 weeks." I know I don't HAVE to get induced, I'm just baffled that I have said I dont want induced and its still a pressing issue to them when I have no complications going on...or complaints, really!! I totally want this baby to come out, like now!! But only if she wants to come out on her own...
September 10th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Veteran
I spoke to my doctor about this at my last appointment, and what she said makes a lot of sense. First, they don't recommend considering an induction (unless it's for a medical reason) until 41 weeks. Apparently, inductions before 41 weeks are associated with fetal distress and subsequent c-sections. After 41 weeks this association is longer present. In contrast, the placenta ages in later pregnancy, so pregnancies that go 10 days beyond your due date then become associated with fetal distress during labour and subsequent c-sections. Of course, you can take the pregnancy out longer, but you ought to be monitored by US to make sure the placenta is still functioning properly Hope this helps!
Revilonivek and justmcurious like this.
September 11th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Veteran
I wish my dr's had explained it like that!! Then I wouldn't be so questionable about it.
September 11th, 2013, 05:56 AM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all, WTG on voicing your opinions! Many people are too afraid to speak their minds to "professionals" But truth is, they are all human beings, and they don't know everything. Only you can decide whats best for you and your baby.
So happy you got a doctor to be able to explain it better to you. Good luck!
September 11th, 2013, 07:19 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from Oct. DDC. I'm going to a birth center and after 41 weeks thats when they start doing more natural induction techniques and monitoring baby 2x a week. (They don't do medical inductions at all.) As long as you and baby are doing well then there is no reason you can't go to 42 weeks before needing to go with medical induction. Your 40 week EDD is just that an estimate! In europe your EDD would have been based on 41 weeks, because you are more likely to go 41 weeks especially as a FTM.
Keakie and Dolly Lama like this.

September 11th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Just so you know, I had a wonderful induction, and the pitocin wasnt bad at all, i had a c section because her hear rate was dropping bc my contractions were so strong. That had nothing to do with my being induced.

September 11th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Veteran
I'm at 41 weeks now and being monitored. Did an NST and US yesterday and everything looks fine. They'll let me go another week, provided baby looks good, before any kind of induction and reminded me that that the latest studies show that the average length of a first non-induced pregnancy is 41 weeks + 1 day.

I'm delivering at a world-class medical facility (hospital) with excellent doctors AND an integrated midwife program (and one of the lowest c-section rates in a US major metropolitan area).

My perspective is to trust your body, but make sure to be monitored to make sure everything is ok.
Keakie and Dolly Lama like this.
September 11th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I think doctors are so used to people asking to be induced these days that they have gotten used to the convenience of it.
My doctor was fine with my decision to labor naturally as long as I stayed healthy and baby stayed healthy but at 39 weeks and a few days I had just gotten over my 5th (I think) UTI while pregnant and baby had grown a lot in 6 days and my doctor felt like it was a good idea to go ahead and induce. I agreed, in fear of another infection which I definitely didn't want while in labor naturally.
That being said I had a smooth induction compared to my first. But, if we have more children I still won't choose to be induced just for convenience
Dolly Lama likes this.
September 11th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Veteran
I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just relaying information that my OB team gave me, but Maria, your situation is literally the exact situation my doctor warned me of. Your induction did not go perfectly because you ended up with a section after hours of, what sounds to me like, painful unproductive labour. My doctor further explained it to me by telling me that when the baby is done baking, s/he sends a signal to your posterior pituitary gland, which begins secreting oxytocin. Oxytocin causes your uterus to contract, which temporarily hinders blood flow to the baby (blood cannot flow as well into tight tissues). When the baby is fully mature, s/he deals with this and there are no adverse outcomes. In contrast, pitocin, which more or less does the same thing, causes contractions that also hinder the blood flow - the difference is that if the baby is not fully mature s/he cannot deal with it and the heart rate decelerates (fetal distress). When you have back-to-back contractions, the heart rate continues to decelerate. Obviously this is bad, so this situation warrants a c-section otherwise harm could come to the baby. The same thing happened to my SIL who had to be induced after her water broke - except her baby boy was showing HR decelerations before labour started, but it still sucked for her because she wanted NCB.
Now, consider an aging placenta during labour. If the baby initiated labour, but the placenta is old, the baby may not be able to get enough oxygen in between contractions (not only is blood flow hindered, but there's not as much of it), so the heart rate may decelerate despite a fully cooked baby. If, on the other hand, labour is induced after 41 weeks, the baby is pretty much guaranteed to be fully mature, and the placenta is unlikely to be too old, so contractions (low oxygen) are a bit easier to manage. Consequently the risk of c-section would be lower if inductions are done 41+ weeks vs. natural birth with an old placenta. I'm not judging any choices anyone made, as long as the baby is healthy I frankly don't care how it got here, I'm just explaining the dealio

Last edited by littlecatlady; September 11th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
September 11th, 2013, 03:26 PM
He said my placenta was aged and that is why her heart rate was dropping, and my labor was fine. My contractions werent awful, and yeah my labor was slow, but most FTM have a long labor, my mother was in labor for 23 hours before she had me full term. Things happen. I hated the recovery of the section but my overall experience wasnt bad at all. I had a healthy full term baby, and my body is back to normal, and my baby is great. I would do an induction again, personal choice. Now if her heart was dropping because of the pitocin then I would say you're right inductions suck, but her heart rate was dropping before and after the pitocin.

September 11th, 2013, 04:07 PM
"Shay-see"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlsshp9 View Post
Just so you know, I had a wonderful induction, and the pitocin wasnt bad at all, i had a c section because her hear rate was dropping bc my contractions were so strong. That had nothing to do with my being induced.
I'll just be out from under my lurking rock for a second.

You know that I back your decision to do it the way you want to for yourself, but I have to say this isn't a good example of supportive anecdotal evidence.

Induction is supposed to be a last-ditch effort to have the baby without requiring surgery (with reasons for needing the pregnancy to be over differing greatly from person to person and I'm not judging anyone's reasons here so please don't feel like you have to be defensive). If you end up in surgery anyway, for whatever reason, then I'm sorry - the induction didn't work.

I'm not going to nitpick your story even though I find parts of it a little bewildering - ultimately I'm just glad you had what you consider a positive experience and really that's all that matters *for you* in the end.

That said, I think you should consider being a bit more careful of how you pose your experience to others since a c-section result would not, in fact, suit most people - and whether you think your induction was the cause of your surgery or not, the fact remains that inductions and c-sections are significantly correlated by repeated studies, so using your experience to try to support the idea that Inductions Are Totally Fine if You Want to Avoid Surgery just doesn't make tons of sense, you know?

I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon or berate you or anything like that. Your experience is yours - embrace it, love it, but please be self-aware, thoughtful, critical, and realistic about how you use it when you try to give advice to others.

...my $.02, FWIW.
September 11th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from Nov. DDC.

WTG on trusting your instinct and voicing your opinions. They cannot "make" you choose induction, and why would you before 42 weeks without a medically necessary reason? Here are some solid evidence-based websites that might give you a little research to take back to them if you want to push them for a reason:

Science & Sensibility »
Induction of Labour: balancing risks | MidwifeThinking
What is the Evidence for Pitocin Augmentation? « Evidence Based Birth

FWIW, with DD1 I was induced at 39w5 for low fluid, and it went smoothly. I progressed well and had an easy delivery. But, I had severely delayed milk production, and the truth is that I attribute this to the IV fluids that I had as a result of the induction. I wish I had said no to the induction and yes to more NSTs until the baby came on her own.

Hoping that you go on your own soon! You are your own best advocate!
Dolly Lama likes this.
September 12th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I'm not trying to talk anyone into having a c section, its just I had a good experience. To me, labor wasnt bad, pitocin wasnt bad, and the c section wasnt bad. It was the recovery that was awful. I'm not trying to say anything, im just sharing my experience.

September 12th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The idea of an induction scares me. I didn't even want the midwife to strip my membranes. I know I won't be pg forever...but its hard not to get anxious and totally impatient with every day that passes. I think that as long as you and baby are healthy the doctors have no right to force anything on you.

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
September 12th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking as well..

I don't understand why anyone would get induced medically unless its for the health of you and the baby (I.e. to prevent death or placenta failing, etc.). The fact that doctors and moms choose inductions for *convenience* blows my mind since there are so many risks involved not just short term risks either. Just reaserch long term side effects from Pitocin and you'll find a plethora of evidence stating how bad it is for you and your baby.

What's a week or two more for the health of your child? And if you're at 40 weeks baby just isn't done yet, due dates are just estimates and as long as baby is fine in there he/she should stay put. Just my opinion I'm a FTM but this just makes sense to me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search