Another update (kind of long) :o

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By manda622

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Badass
I'm now 38 weeks pregnant, YAY!

Last time I mentioned that my midwife couldn't tell if my baby was breech or not and I wasn't worried because I was confident I was right and they were head down... Well I was very wrong.

The ultrasound was booked for only 2 days after my midwife ordered it (my fastest one yet) and I was really excited to see how the baby was growing. Two seconds after the technician put the scan on me she confirmed what my midwife was fearful of "That baby is definitely breech", my heart dropped through my stomach. I hadn't really researched anything on breech babies as I was so sure I was right and had no idea what a late breech baby meant at all. The scan showed that everything else was normal though so I just decided to take things in my stride, my mother managed to get my baby brother to turn around before labour so I wasn't too worried.

I got home and did a little bit of research on it and found a lot of things on spinningbabies.com that I was interested in trying but then was disturbed by a call from my midwife. She stated that because baby had one foot on my cervix and the other bent to be sitting around it's waist she recommended not attempting to turn it by those techniques and instead suggested I go to the hospital to get either an ECV or to book into a c-section. I asked if I could have the night to discuss it with my partner and make a decision on what to do the next day. I looked it up and still couldn't make a choice but I was leaning more towards a c-section then the ECV merely because I made the mistake of looking up youtube videos of it.

My midwife booked me in for an appointment at the hospital for Thursday the 12th of September and I was fine with that because I thought I would be informed of my c-section date. I turned up for my appointment at 2pm and they asked me to sit down and get a blood pressure reading, I've never had a problem with it before so I didn't complain: 160/90 and the nurse wasn't happy. They took a urine sample and a blood sample and also checked baby's heartbeat (all came back fine) so they took another blood pressure reading: 168/110 the nurse was horrified. No sh*t, I was just told I could have pre-eclampsia and you expect me to be calm?! They sent me up to delivery to do a more thorough check and I ended up waiting 2 hours to be seen by a doctor. In that time my blood pressure came back down to 140/90 but was fluctuating too much so they begged me to stay the night for observation. I cried. A lot.

They hooked me up to a fetal monitoring machine for about 30 minutes and then did an ultrasound on baby and then told me I wasn't a viable candidate for ECV because I had very low amniotic fluid, baby had a short umbilical cord and there simply isn't enough room for them to turn the baby with a foot in my cervix. I was also told that they wanted to do a scan on baby once they were born because it's bladder was completely full and they were worried it couldn't pass urine (explaining the low amniotic fluid).

My blood pressure stayed pretty normal through the night and I was told I could go home the next day so long as I came back next week for another check which I was over the moon about!

Today I had my appointment and my blood pressure was fine, it was originally at 140/90 but dropped to 130/86 in the 30 minutes I was sitting there. Another blood and urine sample came back fine and I also got another ultrasound to check on baby (still breech). The doctor was less worried about the bladder as it was more empty then last time at least. I was so worried about being kept in over night again so when I was told I was free to go I was amazed!

I recieved a phone call this morning and I'm booked in for my c-section on the 24th of September. Still nervous as hell but I'll feel much better once I have this baby in my arms (even with the horrible recovery).

Sorry for the long update I kinda got a bit carried away there
September 16th, 2013, 06:13 AM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
Oh wow! I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but I'm glad all seems well with the baby and you don't have Pre-E. Sorry about the c-section, but obviously whatever is safest for baby is the best thing to do. 8 days til you get to meet your LO- so exciting!
AshleighR likes this.

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

September 16th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran
The day after I have my c-section! I know you wanted to do natural but this is what will be best for the baby. I hope everything comes right in the end. The way the baby gets to you doesn't matter in the big picture, so long as the baby gets to you in a safe healthy way.
September 16th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Badass
Yeah I'm stoked they are no longer worried about Pre-E, I did tell them I felt completely fine a few thousand times haha. And yeah, 7 days now! It's incredible thinking how soon that is! But also completely terrifying at the same time :S

And yeah, means you will likely get out of hospital before me too! And yeah, I've resigned myself to the fact that it is far safer for baby to be born via c-section then naturally, not the happiest about it, but I think I'll be fine in coping with that. I just keep thinking about how happy my partner is going to be, he gets to see him/her first (not that he wanted to originally, but it's something special for him too).
September 16th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran
I don't know if I will be out before you! Here in SA you are in the hospital for 3 nights and 4 days with a c-section. When we were touring the hospital with my prenatal class, what I liked is how they involved the dads in a c-section. While I am getting sewn up, hubby will accompany the baby to get weighed and measured then he will sit in a recliner in a heated semi dark room and have about 20 minutes of skin to skin contact with the baby before I am brought out of recovery. I think that is a nice special bonding moment for a dad before I get him to try breast feeding.
September 17th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Badass
Here in New Zealand I think we have a mandatory 3-5 days in hospital, since it will be done on Tuesday me and my partner are hoping to come home on Saturday

And wow that's an awesome way of doing it!! It also means that your baby isn't just being surrounded by strange people constantly, they get to bond with someone who's voice they will remember

I'm pretty sure my partner can stand with the nurses as they do all the checks on the baby, but I get the feeling he will feel too guilty to leave my side. I'm sure I'll push him to go over and keep baby company though, they seem to enjoy his voice quite a bit.

It's cool though because obviously a lot of the attention rests on the mother, which I find unfair as I've spent the past 9 months with this baby and he obviously hasn't been able to bond the same, he just knows that his child is in there. Can't wait for family time after in recovery

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search