Checking in and a birth control question!

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skye10

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Hope all you mommies and soon to be mommies are doing well!
I've been busy! Baby k is growing like a weed! Was up to 8lbs 3oz at her last appt which is 3oz over birth weight, so breast feeding is going well. 3 weeks old already!!
She's gassy a lot so that's been trying but big brother is such a sweetheart and helper.
I feel like I miss out on a lot of y'all's updates because I'm not on the fb group, start posting here! Lol

Anyway I have my next PP check up in a couple of weeks and I need to make a decision on BC.
My options are mirena IUD, the depo shot or the mini pill.
I took the mini pill while breastfeeding my first and it was fine. I'm a little worried about another "surprise" though. MY doctor said that as long as I take the pills within 12 hours of each that they should still be as accurate as if I took them at the exact same time. He said I am a good candidate for the IUD and they are supposed to check my insurance to see if it covers it. He doesn't use the copper one only mirena. That one seems the most ideal for us because if we do have more children we want to wait 5 years or so but it's the one I'm most nervous about.
I'd heard that the depo shot can cause wait gain but he assured me that there is no evidence to support that. So... Opinions???
Grlsshp9 likes this.
September 23rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
Grlsshp9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was wondering where everyone went! I'm not on the fb group either, so you're not alone! & I am also wondering which BC to use. I am thinking about the pill or the implant though, because I have heard stories about the IUD, and I'd rather not go through it, and I've known a few ladies that gained weight off of the depo, so I'm not going to even chance it. lol

September 23rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
Maenfayne's Avatar Veteran
UGH! I just typed out a full response and my cat came in and hit back and deleted it all! So I'll make this brief lol

Depo is evil. Took 3 rounds and it screwed my body up for 2 years after stopping it. Gained about 24-30 lbs. Spotted all the time. That was while on it. Afterwards, I wasn't ovulating still, spotting like crazy, and had massive mood swings. 2 years of recovery for 9 months (3 rounds lasting 3 months each) of BC? No thanks.

Mini pill... um I'm pregnant now due to taking the mini pill at the same time every day with the rare exception that was only a few hours off. Not trusting that again.

Mirena... HEAVEN! I used this after I had my son in 2010. I did spot the first month or so, but my doctor said that was normal. She gave me a week's worth of the pill to stop the spotting and after that I didn't have any issues. No weight gain or mood swings either. It was amazing not to have to think about it. The only reason why I took it out was because my husband and I wanted to TTC. Well that marriage ended in a big huge crash. I'll be getting the Merna IUD after this little man is born for sure!

10.03.13 8lbs 11oz 21 inches
Excuse my typos, there is either a baby on my boob or sleeping in my arms

Thank you *sharon* for my adorable siggy

October 16th, 2013, 09:08 AM
I just went with micronor the mini pill. If we do decide to have another, it
Can take a year after you stop getting the depo shots to become pregnant and the IUD seemed a little risky to me. So, I will stay on the mini pill until I'm done breast feeding and then go back on a combo pill.
October 16th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I don't have any real advice because I'm kind of averse to all of those methods (I know *a lot* of mini pill babies and the IUD can be kind of scary) but I'm glad you found something that you're comfortable with and glad your LO is growing well!

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
October 17th, 2013, 06:09 AM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I will say from my personal point that I dont trust any of them. I conceived two babies on the mini pill, taking them faithfully. I had the mirena from 2009-2011 and had it removed because it was causing intercourse to be extremley painful and to be honest it has not been the same since using it. I also started randomly lactating with mirena for no reason. My cousin had mirena and had to have it surgically removed because it embedded into her uterine wall and was no longer preventing her from falling pregnant. I have heard of the depo shot causing weight gain, and my friends girlfriend got a severe allergic reaction to it. But honestly, every person is different, so side affects may not happen for you.

I, however, will not use any form of contraception anymore. I will be charting and testing for ovulation and dtd around that. I used to be able to feel ovulation so hopefully I still can
October 25th, 2013, 08:51 PM
mama2ladybugs's Avatar Super Mommy
well any hormonal bc has a risk of weight gain. however, everyone is different, so you just kind of have to see what works for you. i had the paragard (copper IUD) and it was a nightmare. i had it removed because of severe pain which i found out was because it fell out of my uterus and was sitting on my cervix trying to push it's way out. i am still considering the mirena though, because i really like that it lasts up to 5 years and i'm hoping that if i do end up going with it, that i won't have problems this time. my top choice though is the implanon. it goes in your arm, is good for 3 years, and it's just as effective as the iud.

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy

WTTC #3 Fall 2017

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search