Update on Phoebe

Forum: September 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To September 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Veteran
I've got some time, so I figured I'd give you all an update on my little monkey. Phoebe will be 3 weeks old tomorrow at 10:54pm. She was jaundiced shortly after birth, so it was a struggle to get her to gain any weight. She didn't require light therapy, just lots of milk and bowel movements. She wasn't producing enough urine for a few days after we got home, just urine crystals. She was 6 lb 6 oz at birth and dropped to 5 lb 13 oz about a half week after birth. I had to wake her to feed so that she wouldn't get dehydrated and so that she would gain enough weight. DH got up with me for every feed. I feed her, and he'd keep her awake long enough to eat. It was a struggle to get her to sleep anywhere but on me, and co-sleeping isn't for us. We got some good advice from our public health nurse, and came up with a routine that works for us - I feed her, DH changes and swaddles her and soothes her to sleep while I read out loud - this way we both get bonding time with her.
She started gaining weight, but it was a slow process. I was worried about her growth, so I made an appointment with a lactation consultant. My supply is great, and she has no problems that interfere with her feeding, she's just a sleepy baby. At my last appointment, my LC gave me the go ahead to let her wake us rather than have us wake her (unless she sleeps more than 5 hours). We tried this out last night, and it worked great. She even felt considerably heavier after eating! She was 6 lbs 11 oz yesterday and she grew 4 cm since birth - she's averaging 25 g/day (0.9 oz/day). Her head circumference also grew by 2 cm as well. So now breast feeding is going perfectly and my little monkey is growing right on track
October 12th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Badass
Glad to hear that she is going well! Also, your routine sounds pretty nice during the night I usually get up and get her bottle and change her and then my partner will feed her and try get her back to bed while I express more, seems to work for us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search