BTDT moms what's the best stroller/car seat ?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By peace.love.audrey
  • 2 Post By Laurenj915
  • 1 Post By Lemon
  • 1 Post By 2Corinthians10:4
  • 2 Post By joonzgurl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Ok - do I want a car seat that comes out and plops in the baby stroller? Or is it easier to keep the seat as-is and just take the baby out?

If it's better to take the whole thing out, I will want to get one that fits a bunch of baby sizes and not switch I guess. Any car seats easier than others when you need to take them out of the car?

My only preferences (besides safety and customer ratings) for a stroller is that it's compact enough to fit in my VW, has (or can equip) a cooler attachment b/c Florida is hot, and is not rocket science to operate. I want one that I can take around Disney etc - I don't want to have more baby stuff than I need so I'm trying to multitask.

Any help is appreciated! I look at the multitude of things out there and am just overwhelmed - not in a way that makes me think that over time I'll have more patience to look at it. More like, I will just go freak out and buy whatever pops up first in my search results and be done with it and that's probably not the best idea! Price-wise we are flexible.
February 12th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Leah
Ditto this. Cooler is a great idea. Maneuverability is important to me as well. I know Babies R Us has ratings and such, but I don't know how accurate they actually are. I think I prefer the car seat/ base/ stroller combo.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
February 12th, 2013, 08:47 PM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
My suggestion is that if you plan to babywear a lot.....just get a seat that stays in the car and goes from 6 to 60lbs or whatever (a convertible carseat...we have an Evenflo Symphony 65 and I have no complaints).

If you don't plan to babywear then get an infant carseat/stroller combo (Chicco is my recommendation) and then transition them to a convertible seat when appropriate (I think my DD was 8 months and she was a big baby).

Hope that helps.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
February 13th, 2013, 03:19 AM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
Ditto the above poster. I plan to get a Radian car seat for this little one. They are the only seat (that I know of) with a steel frame. There are pics of car wrecks where the seat held up even in a roll over and held the roof of the car up and off baby's head. I know they are all tested to the same standards, but a steel frame makes sense to me.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
February 13th, 2013, 03:34 AM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought an infant car seat for DS. I liked that I could detach it from the base and bring him in the house. Babies fall asleep eveytime you drive them somewhere and it is really nice to take them out of the car without waking them up. Mine is a Graco KeyFit. He will be in it until he hits 30 pounds or two years old.

I also liked wearing my infant. I remember going to a seafood festival with a friend. I watched her try to manuver a stroller with the infant seat snapped in around other people, up to booths and across a unpaved parking lot. It wasn't for me. I didn't buy a stroller until he was at least 1. And when I did it was a little umbrella stroller that is 5 pounds and will go anywhere.

Last edited by Laurenj915; February 13th, 2013 at 03:36 AM.
February 13th, 2013, 04:18 AM
MadMay's Avatar Super Mommy
Im trying to save up for the Orbit G2 stroller and car seat its a bit out of my price range but it looks so helpful. So it will take a couple of months but I really want it.

February 13th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even though we baby wear a lot I'm still getting a bucket infant seat.
I had a Graco Snugride with my two kids, no problems, great seat.
I'm looking at the Chico Keyfit for the new baby.
joonzgurl likes this.
February 13th, 2013, 04:47 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are leaning more towards just a convertible carseat this time around. If we do decide to get an infant bucket seat we will get just the seat and not the stroller.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

February 13th, 2013, 05:11 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I find for the most part that the strollers that have the carseats that clip right into the toddler seat are large, bulky, and low quality.

What you can get is a bucket seat, and then this frame thing that the bucket seat clips right into. I can't seem to remember what it's called, maybe someone else will know. If I were doing this again I would start with that and then worry about a toddler stroller later.

We also babywear a lot. Invest in a moby wrap!

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 13th, 2013, 05:49 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I babywear a LOT, so we use a Britax convertible from birth. Oliver is still in the same car seat! We'll def do the same for this baby. I hate carting around those baby carriers. The stroller I use is a Peg Perego P3. LOVE it!!

I'm also an extended rear facer, so you'll hear me talk all about that if the topic comes up.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twins!!!

February 13th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I went with a convertible car seat for Winter, and I love it. I just got one of the regular $50 deals from Walmart. As for strollers, I have a removable infant insert that keeps them stable in almost anything. I was able to push Winter around in an umbrella stroller at a month because of that thing. It has cushions on the side and around the head. This time we are going to buy a tandem stroller for two, and I'm hoping for a jogging model. I'll just put the insert into that.

Getting a new one for Alice as well. Found one that goes to 70 lbs that's less than $100. Until we can afford the special needs stroller for 1K, it will be a life saver.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
February 13th, 2013, 07:09 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I kind of have my heart set on this one, because I also have a small car (MINI Countryman) and think this is one of the few that will fit in the trunk!

Chicco Cortina Travel System Stroller - Miro - Chicco - Babies "R" Us
February 13th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Butterflies View Post
I babywear a LOT, so we use a Britax convertible from birth. Oliver is still in the same car seat! We'll def do the same for this baby. I hate carting around those baby carriers. The stroller I use is a Peg Perego P3. LOVE it!!

I'm also an extended rear facer, so you'll hear me talk all about that if the topic comes up.
We have a P3 also, and I love it!!
It's great if you have a toddler/preschooler who usually walks but sometimes wants to catch a ride on the little step on the back.
February 13th, 2013, 07:19 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I mostly babywear until my children are about 1. I love it. My Dad did buy me a big stroller/carseat system by Graco when I was pregnant with my second. I didn't use the stroller part of it until she was 1. I then moved from that to an umbrella stroller. With my son, I wore him until he was big enough to just go straight to an umbrella stroller, unless I needed my "allterrain vehicle" as I called my Graco Stroller. I walk a lot though. I live in a big city and it's just cheaper not to drive.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
February 13th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Here's my two cents. Even if you plan on baby wearing, the car seat carrier comes in very handy when you are say at a restaurant etc. Also this is just me: I did buy a kangaroo carrier type thing & a the moby wrap. I was just too nervous as a first time mom to confidently carry my new born that way. My DH could do it, but I couldn't! The car seat carrier came very handy. I just got a Gracco metrolite travel system. I am petite and have very small hands. It was important that the carrier is lightweight and not too much for me to handle alone. This one worked perfect for us. We used this car seat rear facing until DD was 1 1/2 yrs old and then switched to to forward facing for a few months. Finally she moved on to a convertible seat at abt 3 yrs old. And yes when babies are in the car they sleep and picking them up and out of the car seat mostly wakes them up. Its nice to be able to bring the car seat in and let them stay cozy.

February 13th, 2013, 09:21 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I will be having to find a new baby seat and stuff. But I don't know if I will get the seat and stroller combo.... I also have a moby wrap that I used ALOT, seems much easier when I was out.

I will be reading tons of reviews thats for sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search