Thrifty Thursday

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2013, 03:13 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are you doing to save money for your new bean?

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

February 14th, 2013, 03:26 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm planning on buying most big purchases, like a swing, bassinet, bouncy chair second hand. Lots of beautiful stuff in mint condition is posted on FB sales lol But I will go with a new carseat for sure!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

February 14th, 2013, 03:40 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Starting January we do not spend any $5 or $1 bills. Instead they go in a big jar on top of my kitchen cabinet. You'd be surprised how much money that can save you! We also put 10% of my husband's paycheck in the savings account every week. Every little bit adds up!!!
February 14th, 2013, 03:42 AM
Spero's Avatar Nice to meet you, I'm Kat
Accepting all hand-me-downs! We'll also be buying most big items used.

My biggest concern about money is daycare! We should have our credit card paid off after we get our tax refund, so that will eliminate $100 bill a month. We're also paying off a family loan in May/June, so that will eliminate $200 bill a month. And thank God, I'm getting a raise in March so that will give us another $300 per month. We're going to start rolling all of this into savings until the baby comes. Hopefully it will give us a nice nest egg. After baby all of it and more will go to health insurance and daycare...We are going to sit down next month and re-evaluate our budget, see what we can cut or reduce.

February 14th, 2013, 03:45 AM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
We are planning to buy most everything 2nd hand too. There are so many incredible thrift stores around here and I plan to stalk them mercilessly. I also know lots of mamas with older babies who will likely pass on a lot to us, possibly even a carseat, which I would normally never do used, but if I know the person, I would do it.

Oh and my stepmother will go wild once she finds out and buy the baby so much clothing, body wash, lotion, toys, etc. Not that I expect it from her, she just adores babies.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
February 14th, 2013, 05:28 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We plan on accepting hand-me-downs and buying used for many purchases, especially clothes. We are going to cloth diaper which will save us a ton right there, and with that use cloth wipes most of the time. We don't plan on having a nursery, just a pack-n-play for the first year or so (baby will co-sleep most of the time) then move into a twin bed with railings. I plan on bf'ing as long as possible too.

We won't purchase many big items, the only big item I think I might get is a vibrating bouncer seat and maybe a swing. Those things will be purchased second hand though.

I am working at my aunt's shop two weekends a month while I am in Texas making about 160.00/month or so. It's not a lot but every bit of that is being saved for the baby. It will more than likely pay for the pack-n-play and a lot of our cloth diaper stash.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

February 14th, 2013, 08:25 AM
OrangeHope's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we have a bouncy seat we gave to a friend so most likely we'll get that back when our baby comes along (her baby will be 13 months by the time mine comes).

Thank God we saved Alex's crib because those things can be expensive!

We have a thrift store here in town that just has baby stuff so I will be looking for a swing, stroller, baby clothes and anything else that seems to come in handy.

February 14th, 2013, 08:50 AM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Family will be buying most things I know already (dad has said he wants to buy a crib and stroller to start). Its everyone's first time being grandparents and great grandparents so were not too worried. Plus when dh deploys I'm moving right back home...probably saving us 800 a month in bills
February 14th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are just putting most of my salary in the savings account. Our current expenses are met with DH's salary plus about 20% of mine. Hopefully I have my job for the long term. We'll be screwed otherwise. I have some big stuff like the crib, travel system, high chair etc. Hopefully we'll manage ok.

February 14th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not buying one single baby item other than a dozen more cloth diapers. We have a 20 month old and we don't NEED anything. Also, changing from ATT cell phones to boost mobile and skipping a big vacation this summer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search