What's the norm for appts and ultrasounds, testing etc?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MarchMom2007

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2013, 06:00 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I was pregnant last (more than a decade ago!!), the normal thing they did was see you once a month until 8 months, then twice a week, and there was one ultrasound around 20 weeks. And that was it unless there was a problem.

Has that changed at all? There seem to be a lot more ultrasounds...
What's the norm now?

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
February 17th, 2013, 06:23 PM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
What you described is what my midwife will be doing with me starting at 8 weeks with the U/S only happening if she thinks something is wrong or if I request it. Pretty sure we won't be having any U/S's here.
chachartier likes this.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
February 17th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Depends on the pregnancy here. I had 2 u/s with DD1. I was seen the first time at 16 weeks. It is hard to get doctors here.

I saw one out of town at 6 weeks with my second. I had one u/s with that doc at 8 weeks. When I got my next obgyn in town, I had almost 15 more u/s.
February 17th, 2013, 07:07 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
what you described is probably the most normal that there is, but some docs and midwifes have u/s machines in office that they like to pull out on first visits to see what they can see.
One other time during a visit my midwife couldn't find my sons heartbeat so she pulled it out just to find it easier, otherwise I only would have had two with him, one at the initial visit and one at 20 weeks.
With my daughter it would have been the same except they didn't see me until 12wks and I had to go to the ER for extreme morning sickness and they did one then, and then she was post dates so I got a few more at the very end.

If however there is reason to believe that the pregnancy is not viable or might not remain viable they do a lot of them. I think a lot of the reason for that is that they are scheduling appointments earlier now and can't always see what they would like to see during that initial appointment.
February 17th, 2013, 08:12 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
What you described is about the normal here, that is what they did with my first so I am assuming it will be the same with my second.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 17th, 2013, 08:49 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What you described is normal here as well, unless there are high risk factors. One doctors nurse that I spoke to said he only does 1 ultrasound through the entire pregnancy. Personally if that were all I was getting, I would go to another place in the area that just does ultrasounds and pay the $50 for an extra one. Though I fall into a category where I'll have a few done.
February 17th, 2013, 10:30 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I saw an OB my first 26 weeks and they did a lot of u/s in the beginning and then none after 20 weeks. With my midwife, I think they do just one. The appts were all the same though, like you described.
February 18th, 2013, 03:02 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first 2 pregnancies went exactly like that, this time though I'm only getting an early u/s due to 2 recent losses. So just a precaution!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

February 18th, 2013, 06:51 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Yes, what you described is the norm here as well! I will see my Dr. once a month until the 8th month and then every week or two weeks after that. I will have one ultrasound done between 16-20 weeks.

Now, what is new to me, since my last pregnancy 7 years ago, is this new NT scan between 10-12 weeks. I'm still not sure if we are doing that one or not.
February 18th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2princesses View Post

Now, what is new to me, since my last pregnancy 7 years ago, is this new NT scan between 10-12 weeks. I'm still not sure if we are doing that one or not.
What's that one?

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
February 18th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I'm kinda glad that we are not having all those u/s here, I've read some recent studies that suggest that introducing u/s during the first trimester could be linked with autism and other mental disabilities because the sound waves are going through a basically liquid brain at that point.
February 18th, 2013, 11:12 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
normal for me with my first few babies was 12 week appointment, then one every month till 28 weeks. then every 2 weeks till 36 weeks then every week.

one U/S at 18-20 weeks and the glucose test at 28 weeks.

February 18th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I have not had gd for either of my kids I might request to skip the test this time.
February 18th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am guessing I'll get an ultrasound my first or second appt to try to figure out my due date.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
February 19th, 2013, 03:17 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsturner View Post
What's that one?
This link explains it pretty well -

Nuchal translucency screening | BabyCenter

Still on the fence about having it done. My Dr. seems to think I don't need it as long as I do the blood test.

I can't wait to talk to him about it in detail during my next visit when I'll be 10 1/2 weeks pregnant!
February 19th, 2013, 05:02 AM
That's really interesting. I wonder if they didn't have it when I was pregnant last, or if they just didn't offer?

Thanks for the info

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search