Interesting list

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By islandbaby
  • 1 Post By MrsHoot

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2013, 05:19 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
http://www.womendoctor.com/pdf/preg_meds.pdf

Of things okay while pregnant. Here's the one I find the most interesting...

ALCOHOL. There is no known safe amount of alcohol use during pregnancy. Drinking occasional wine is allowed but should be limited to _ a glass.
There is no contraindication to using Nutrasweet during pregnancy; we recommend use in moderation. Caffeine should be avoided.

Really?? A glass of wine is okay, but not a coffee? Hmmm....

February 19th, 2013, 05:24 AM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
I had a sip of my SO's hard cider last weekend, but I refuse to drink decaf coffee. I have read that alcohol in moderation is fine, but that anything above 200mg of caffeine can increase the chances of miscarriage, so I refuse to have any at all.

I think ideally it would be best to avoid all of it to stay safe. My sip of cider was so tiny, but I probably won't do it again.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
February 19th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a half a glass of wine at the very end of my pregnancy with my daughter. I was huge, uncomfortable and it was heavenly. It's not something I make a habit of though.
February 19th, 2013, 06:07 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally don't drink any amount of alcohol when pregnant. But I do have a cup of tea a day! I really can't function without that morning cup, I do feel guilty sometimes though! lol That list seems a little off....

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

Last edited by sweety_pie; February 19th, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
February 19th, 2013, 06:19 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
I know of some women who have a glass or two of wine while pregnant. I peronally will not drink any alcohol or caffeine while pregnant.
smsturner likes this.
February 19th, 2013, 06:32 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
That's silly. I was going into preterm labor with DS1 and my m/w suggest I get a wine cooler and take a warm bath. It worked. I wouldn't go drinking a glass of wine every night, but the rare glass isn't going to hurt you or the baby and neither will coffee in moderation.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

February 19th, 2013, 06:36 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Butterflies View Post
That's silly. I was going into preterm labor with DS1 and my m/w suggest I get a wine cooler and take a warm bath. It worked. I wouldn't go drinking a glass of wine every night, but the rare glass isn't going to hurt you or the baby and neither will coffee in moderation.
Yeah, everything in moderation! Two close friends that are MDs kind of laid things out for me. I'm hyper vigilant and not having anything now, but I wouldn't count it out in the future or judge anyone that had something now and again. In different countries, this is more common and they have babies just fine..
February 19th, 2013, 06:44 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
Yeah, everything in moderation! Two close friends that are MDs kind of laid things out for me. I'm hyper vigilant and not having anything now, but I wouldn't count it out in the future or judge anyone that had something now and again. In different countries, this is more common and they have babies just fine..
I'm very conservative. Especially when it comes to eating. I'm a clean eater and don't even eat any grains, but there are things that, scientifically, have no evidence that they are harmful in moderation. When it's harmful, is when women abuse them. THEN you'll hear stories of babies who detox when born. Coffee has a LOT of health benefits as does wine. One cup of either on any given day is perfectly fine.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

February 19th, 2013, 07:10 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I don't do the alcohol at all- except I craved it all the time with my first pregnancy so I think I had a few O'douls over the course. I try to lay some off the caffeine, but I still drink a soda or coffee over the week. I was googling Pepcid AC and came across that list, I just found some of what it listed as a little bit off - as a pp said.

February 19th, 2013, 07:37 AM
lindsaylyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't drink while pregnant, but I will have a sip of beer or wine here or there if my husband has a glass. I think our country has gone way overboard on some things, yeah you don't want to drink every night, but a tiny bit won't hurt. It is just that no one knows what the "safe" amount is, so better safe than sorry!
February 19th, 2013, 07:52 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not really ever very into alcohol, wine or fuzzy navel now or then, so cutting out isn't a huge deal.
I'm definitely staying away from artificial sweeteners, because we knows, they make me nervous. I haven't done any research on them.

The hard thing for me was leaving pepsi behind. I used to have one can every morning instead of coffee. I've given it up, but I miss it. I will have it once and awhile, I'm sure, but certainly not every morning.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
February 19th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I had a glass of wine with my second. I've been craving a Mike's Hard Lemonade. I might get one of those soon, but not drink more than half.

I've been drinking coke lately to help me burp.
February 19th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I drank Starbucks every single day with my daughter. She's 7 and healthy as a horse. My sis drank Pepsi daily with niece and nephew...no issues at all. Not saying there aren't issues with some pregnancies and max amounts of coffee/soda etc but in our family, we've never had any issues at all.
February 19th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Fortunately when I am pregnant the thought of coffee or wine turns my stomach. I think a glass or two a week is okay, but doctors don't know what amount is really harmful, and it can be really dangerous in large amounts, so they default to saying zero. I'm sure if they said one glass a day is okay, in their minds, more women would feel comfortable drinking two glasses a day, etc. I think I had a beer on my birthday last time, when I was about 7 months pregnant, and maybe a sip or two of my husband's beer at some other point.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search