question for you ladies and a slight rant

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Laurenj915
  • 3 Post By islandbaby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2013, 11:19 AM
CardozaMaMa8784's Avatar Veteran
okay so i seen this hype people do to try and get better CM to get pregnant....

WHY would anyone take medication like cough syrup to help cm when it has not been proven? I am part of a group on fb when i was TTC and they talked bout taking cough syrup with certain stuff in it to make cm sperm friendly....

what i see is exposing your body to medication it does not need and could be bad for you when the time comes to actually need it for a cold. i know your body can build up a resistance to it over time. Maybe this is why i refuse to take any kinds of meds knowing it could have bad reactions later on...esp with the companies not knowing the full effects of the medications they are producing.

im still part of that TTC group to offer support to those still trying and every time i see this HYPE for the cough syrup i just wanna say If it helps then why hasnt it worked after so many months/years of using it?

Constant use just makes me think your poisoning your body with unneeded crud.

do you honestly think this works? I looked it up and it came back as a myth.

February 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if it works or not but I do know the desperation of infertility. There are things like PreSeed that can help if you have very little fertile CM. Maybe you could just encourage your friends in the group to try that.

February 19th, 2013, 12:54 PM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
The way I see it, infertility and TTC are rough roads. Some people will do a lot of things others would never even consider, just to reach the goal of becoming pregnant. During that time of desperation, anything can seem like a step closer to helping them reach that goal. I am not the one to judge whether it's right or wrong. I can only speak for myself.
February 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
I would also recommend the PreSeed. As far as the hype, you may not like seeing it, but I would just let it go lol. Like some ladies mentioned above, TTC and infertility are long, hard roads. We were so blessed to conceive the 1st cycle, but all the charting, temping, 2ww, opks and testing.... I can't even imagine doing that for 6 months or a year plus.
February 19th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
To each their own right? I've never personally done that, but I've definitely used preseed as the extra lube does wonders for timed routine TTC sex. That said I do agree that trying cough medicine etc for extended period of times should be discouraged gently...In fact trying any fertility aid like herbal teas, isoflavones, etc should be limited to say 2 cycles just so that you can minimize unknown effects if any! JMO.

February 19th, 2013, 01:23 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had never heard of that before, I think that like the others said it would probably be hard not to try anything when you feel hopeless, but I wouldn't take meds like that for it... not unless my doctor told me to and at that I'd probably avoid taking them long term.
February 19th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think it is a crazy as other things since it is meant to thin mucus, which works on cervical mucus as well. I'm pretty sure some doctors recommend this, but yes I think it is best to just take it for just a few days around ovulation and not every day for a year because it does have potential side effects. But if friends are doing it, make sure it is just the guaifenesin and it doesn't have anything else in it.
Conception Myths
February 19th, 2013, 02:51 PM
CardozaMaMa8784's Avatar Veteran
i did green tea in jan for the first time and got pregnant, i also took prenatals for 3 months prior. it has antioxidants that helps the immune system and other quality that can help in ttc area but too much can be bad thats why i only did 1 coffee cup a day until a positive opk and then i stopped.

February 19th, 2013, 02:59 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It did work for me. I was sick and taking regular Mucinex (guaifenesin). I had tried it in the past for better/thinner CM, but I never remember to take it when I needed it.
Fertility drugs can cause hostile CM, also taking allergy meds can also dry things up a bit. For the most part, people will try things like this if they are having trouble conceiving. If it's a cheap, over the counter thing and it does work for some people. I took Soy for 3 cycles (no infertility coverage this time), but stopped as I didn't want to do it again as I prefer to be monitored by a physician. An $8 bottle of Soy is much cheaper than $1000-1300/cycle for an IUI and meds.
February 19th, 2013, 04:03 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I took Mucinex before for only 4 days out of my cycle and it DEF helped. I do recommend it for women who have scant CM or need a more friendly environment for the spermies. I had fertility treatments to get pg with #3. So honestly, anything short of that, and I was ok with it.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"

Baby Grayson born sleeping at 39w pg due to thrombophelia;
Protein S and Protein C deficient, Factor V Leiden , & MTHFR
(10/16/13)- 2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22"

My Chart
February 19th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Spero's Avatar Nice to meet you, I'm Kat
I don't know about the cough medicine, but PreSeed did the trick for us. We'd been using it for about 4 months or so, but this last month I used a TON everytime. I really think that is what finally did it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search