Caffeine!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrsPea

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2013, 05:39 PM
YoginiMomma's Avatar Veteran
Do you drink it still?

I read it is okay to have a minimal amount of caffeine while pregnant, but it can affect baby's metabolism if you drink too much, and draw blood away from the uterus. I read that under 150mg /day is considered a safe limit.

I have low blood pressure naturally and it's even lower with this higher blood volume, so I'm feeling really dizzy/faint a lot of the time- caffeine and sodium are two things dr's have recommended in the past (minimally of course) to keep my blood pressure and electrolytes up.

In this first trimester I am so ridiculously tired, that I have been drinking on average 1 cup a day of black tea or green tea (about 40mg). Miraculously and luckily!! before I got pregnant I completely quit coffee- cold turkey-- I've been off coffee since January 1st, and that was (i'm pretty sure) what made my conceive- I used to be such a coffee addict- 2-5 cups a day!!

Are you drinking caffeine still? how much? If this is your second pregnancy, did you drink it with your first also??

*"It is through the body we realize we are a spark of divinity"* ~ Iyengar

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 28th, 2013, 05:46 PM
robynpuff79's Avatar Veteran
I am seriously addicted to diet soda and since finding out I was PG last weekend I stopped drinking it...until today. I had like 4 sips and they were SO good. I usually drink at least 2 Big Gulps a day, which I know is bad, but will a few sips a day, or even a can every other day, really harm the baby?? I am so tired and I just need the little boost!
February 28th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Leah
I haven't cut it completely. The caffeine will help headaches for me. I also read that a little was OK. I'm limiting myself to only one or two small caffeinated drinks, though sometimes it's none. I don't know what I could use as a substitute to take for headaches.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
February 28th, 2013, 06:07 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have some occasionally. I was a soda addict, but it doesn't appeal to me lately. I also drank a caramel macchiato everyday with 4 shots of espresso. I stopped that with no withdrawel. I have oneoccasionally with decaf espresso, which has a little caffeine in it.

February 28th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm mostly avoiding, but I had two cups of black tea today because I only slept a few hours last night and had a massive headache.
February 28th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I really don't drink much caffeine normally, and right now caffeine of any kind is one of my major heartburn triggers. If I really want some, though, I'll drink it anyway. I drank nothing but Pepsi with my first.
February 28th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I still have a cup a day, which is my norm. I used to drink a TON of coffee until the first time I got pregnant, then I cut back to half a cup a day, but I'm back up to a full cup now. I don't think there is any danger, and I've heard (could be a myth or old wive's tale) that if you don't drink any during pregnancy, then the child will be more sensitive to it when you breastfeed.

I very rarely drink soda anymore, so coffee and tea are my source. I'm finding though that as I am getting "more mature" as hubs would say, if I have too much,even if it is in the morning when I drink it all, I have a hard time sleeping at night.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
February 28th, 2013, 08:01 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
I cut soda a lot. DH and I would drink way to much Dr. Pepper now it's like a treat if I have one!
If I really want caffeine I buy him a mocha and I take some sips but I try not to drink too much. I just like the flavor of coffee drinks.
February 28th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Super Mommy
I drink three cups of black tea a day. I did with my last two pregnancies, I love my tea and there is not an excessive amount of caffeine in tea.

03/13 - missed miscarriage at 11 weeks
March 1st, 2013, 04:35 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I drink 2 cups of tea a day still, I did with my last pregnancies and everything was fine!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

March 1st, 2013, 04:46 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have cut out soda and caffeinated teas completely (I still drink herbal teas) but I admit I do still have an occasional soda. I am trying to cut that out too though.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

March 1st, 2013, 04:47 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually have 1 cup of coffee a day. Some days I can't stomach it though.
I did the same with my other kids.
I don't drink soda.
March 1st, 2013, 04:53 AM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
I have a history of early loss, so I cut it out completely at least for the first trimester. I might go back to one cup of decaf once I hit 12 weeks. I miss it sooooooo much. I know I could technically have decaf now, but I am just too much of a nervous nelly. I am about to turn 39, and feeling like this is my very last chance to have my last baby so I am taking every precaution I possibly can.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
March 1st, 2013, 06:45 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since TTC we started brewing 1/2 caf at home. Now I can't even stomach that. Currently I am trying a cup of black tea, I miss a warm beverage in the am.
Effervescence likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPea View Post
Since TTC we started brewing 1/2 caf at home. Now I can't even stomach that. Currently I am trying a cup of black tea, I miss a warm beverage in the am.

That's what it is for me too. I use coffee out of habit (my parents were big coffee drinkers as were my grandparents) but really it's the feeling of a hot drink that gets me up and going. I get the same satisfaction from decaf or from tea, but my husband makes coffee in the morning anyway so one less step for me to just mooch a cup from his pot

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 2nd, 2013, 10:18 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I don't give up caffeine. Not worth the migraines. I do cut back, I have 1 coffee a day, or 2 cups if I get it from home. I can't stand cherry coke right now, so soda is not an issue.

I tried to give up caffeine with #2, and it didn't work, I was so sick from the migraines. All of my babies have turned out fine. I even drink stuff with caffeine when nursing, and none of my kids seemed effected, or were hyper.

March 2nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been drinking decaf coffee and occasionally a regular one or a coke. (I am a die hard coke lover!) You may be surprised though that depending on the tea/strength of tea it has just as much caffeine or more than a soda. I read on mayo clinic that coke has 30-35 mg and black tea is 15-60mg per cup.

Interesting! I remember learning that last pregnancy because I just assumed tea would have way less caffeine than pop.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search