Genetic Testing

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2013, 09:42 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Arwen, you are one of the first people I have encountered that have this point of view on autism--in a good way--a different point of view coming from someone who's life had been touched by autism. I had never heard of autism face. My nephew has autism, so I've read info years ago, but nothing much recently. I've had long discussions with my SIL about my nephews and all his medical conditions. They know what caused his spina bifida, and she has wondered if that had an impact on his autism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
We did all of the tests recommended by doctors for my son. None of them told us that he had a genetic disorder. Some red flags came up on the quad, for spina bifida, which is interesting to me because when he was born he did in fact have a severe dimple at the base of his spinal cord. and he has had many ultrasounds on said dimple to make sure everything is closed and okay. Everything is okay, but spina bifida is one of the symptoms of his genetic deletion, so it makes me wonder how close he was to having it but in the end things found a way to develop properly? All I know is that none of those tests really told us what we had needed to know about our son, it took us until he was two years old before we found what was truly plaguing him.
I used to work in Radiology and I recall a couple people who had spina bifida occulta and was never diagnosed until a random x-ray as an adult.

March 16th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lana* View Post

I used to work in Radiology and I recall a couple people who had spina bifida occulta and was never diagnosed until a random x-ray as an adult.
He has also had many x-rays of his back. He still has that dimple, so it is something I bring up a lot, just as a nervous mom, but the doctors assure me that as much as my son's insides have been looked at, we would have seen it by now, especially since that is the kind of thing they looked for.
*Lana* likes this.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 18th, 2013, 06:36 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I had the blood test done last week. I will also have the u/s done on 4/5. I won't abort if there is something wrong, but I am over 35 years old and I think that we will need time to really prepare if something is wrong.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
March 18th, 2013, 07:35 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have never done any of them. BUT this time around since I am considered "of advanced maternal age" I will be. The outcome will not change if I have the baby or not. And I know that there are changes of false positives or false negatives. I guess at this point, this baby being very unplanned if there could be something going on... I need time to prepare.

March 18th, 2013, 07:47 AM
karmaissotrue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to karmaissotrue Send a message via Yahoo to karmaissotrue
I will be doing all genetic testing recommended by Dr, I did with DS so I feel I shouldn't change anything this time around

THANKS SO MUCH KILIKI FOR THE WONDERFUL SIGGY

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search