Maternity clothes budget?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2013, 06:42 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I mentioned before that I'm not a big shopper. I got some good coupons though for some of my favorite stores, and have about $200 worth of clothes in there - 2 button up shirts, 3 maternity dresses, a tank top, a regular top, and a baby hat. I just feel so guilty spending money on it! I don't KNOW whether I'll need all that stuff. Then again, I don't want to wreck ALL my clothes. Does my list seem reasonable? I'm not shopping at any of the Motherhood Maternity places b/c I think it's too expensive for me. We are able to afford this amount but the frugal-ness and non-shoppingness is just ingrained in us.
March 14th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think this is reasonable. I actually found that motherhood was priced pretty competetively with their every day wear, with Target and Khol's. I have bought two dresses (I have some important weddings to go to) and two pairs of maternity jeans. I will probably go to Clothing Mentor for tops and other things. But, I also have located my box of maternity clothes (my sister's friend had it!) so I don't need that much new. I think $200 is reasonable, especially if this is your first. I am pretty sure I spent more than that with my first, but at the time I needed professional clothes in addition to every day wear. I hate shopping too. I also feel pretty guilty after I just bought something for myself. I used a gift card and khol's cash to buy myself a purse after the holidays, and I still feel guilty about it sometimes!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 14th, 2013, 07:18 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Motherhood Maternity has better prices than Kohls and some are better than Target. Check second hand stores. Some places are better than others. Ebay too.
You will want to be comfortable, and with the summer coming, it will be harder to stay cool.
Just play it by ear, maybe your regular clothes will fit for quite awhile or maybe you'll be in maternity clothes fast.
Effervescence likes this.

March 14th, 2013, 08:24 PM
ok, I decided to get the three dresses, 2 tops and the monkey hat. I'll check second hand stores for the button ups - I bet I can find a knock off or a used one at consignment or a thrift store for sure! 95 bucks including tax. I'll also look for maternity shorts in a cheaper place too b/c I don't care about shorts.
March 14th, 2013, 10:20 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
200 sounds fine to me especially if you'll be wearing them ! I plan on wearing mostly sweats but I know that can't be reasonable later on.
March 15th, 2013, 03:50 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not planning on buying a ton either, but I will need to splurge on ONE nice outfit for my brother's wedding this summer. I will be 8 months pregnant and a whale...Great! lol
Lotsakids and soul_donut like this.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

March 15th, 2013, 11:43 AM
You're going to be beauuutifuull!! People will be getting you lemonades and things left and right - take advantage and wear a bump-tastic dress
Lotsakids and sweety_pie like this.
March 15th, 2013, 12:02 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
You're going to be beauuutifuull!! People will be getting you lemonades and things left and right - take advantage and wear a bump-tastic dress
Mmm lemonade...

That's all. I have no input here. I like to shop and will probably over-buy.
March 15th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Someone mentioned sweatpants..now I really wish I was wearing some..and on the couch at home. Ugh
March 15th, 2013, 05:40 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think $200 is reasonable.

I will probably spend at least double that only cause I already spent about $200 on clothes before I got pregnant in September and already they are a little fitted on me. I know they won't last me the whole 9 months I don't know what I was thinking buying maternity clothes prepregnancy!!

I have to buy a maternity dress for a weeding this summer and I know it will cost at least $100 Maybe I can just rent one or something from rent the runway or that one site that rents out maternity clothes. I hate spending that much on something I will wear literally once.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
March 16th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The store I mentioned, Clothing Mentor, is a second hand store for women's fashion, and most of them have a large maternity section. They aren't everywhere, but they are a national chain. They are owned by the same people as Once Upon a Child and Plato's Closet, and I think Einstein's Attic. Sometimes I think they can be overpriced for a second hand store, but I did find a lot of great deals on maternity for my other two pregnancies! I haven't found a whole lot of other second hand stores with a very good maternity selections. Luckily we are going to be in the season of yard sales and resales soon, right about the time we all will really need to be thinking seriously about our wardrobes
Lotsakids likes this.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 16th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found some cute tops at kohls today and a pair of shorts. I'm on my way!
March 17th, 2013, 06:54 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think 200.00 is reasonable. I plan to just buy some fold over skirts, regular maxi dresses, and maybe some regular old navy tops in a size or two bigger. I have a feeling I'll be living in skirts and maxi dresses this summer since it gets so stinkin hot in Hawaii.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

March 17th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Leah
Motherhood Maternity is having a sale through today on clearance items - buy one, get one 75% off. There look like there are some wedding appropriate dresses starting at about $20. The sizes are a little picked over, but it's both online and in store.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
March 17th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also bought a few regular tunic tops and sweats and things at Walmart a size up when the time came. With your first it is hard not to want to be prepared and start buying things, but I also recommend waiting as long as possible because you really don't know what your body is going to be like, and for me I had really itchy skin and couldn't stand to wear half of what I bought.
March 17th, 2013, 12:15 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
The store I mentioned, Clothing Mentor, is a second hand store for women's fashion, and most of them have a large maternity section. They aren't everywhere, but they are a national chain. They are owned by the same people as Once Upon a Child and Plato's Closet, and I think Einstein's Attic. Sometimes I think they can be overpriced for a second hand store, but I did find a lot of great deals on maternity for my other two pregnancies! I haven't found a whole lot of other second hand stores with a very good maternity selections. Luckily we are going to be in the season of yard sales and resales soon, right about the time we all will really need to be thinking seriously about our wardrobes
Thanks for the tip! I think we have one here and I may go check them out!

March 17th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As you guys are shopping online keep your eyes open for professional outfits. I need a couple of suits or at least blazer/slack combos to get me to at least 7 months. The last two moths I'm a whale, so work is going to have to understand! Thanks!!!

March 18th, 2013, 05:20 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I bought a few things on the target website recently. They had some great sales going on. My SIL loaned me all of her maternity clothes, so I really lucked out this time around. I won't need to buy much at all. Just a few tops and I will be good to go.
I don't think $200 is a bad price for your first pregnancy. Sounds reasonable to me.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
March 18th, 2013, 06:26 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I am struggling with the thought of buying maternity clothes. I know for a fact that I will NEVER use them again, and I JUST gave away a HUGE bag of them a few months ago. So I have nothing.

I am thinking maybe getting a few maternity tees, and using my capris just wearing them unzipped with like a belly band thing.

June 18th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Maternity clothes can be ridiculously expensive! What I’ve been finding is that even though the clothing is more expensive, the quality of the clothing is worse than usual. Check out inexpensivematernityclothes [dot] com. Its a great resource for finding stylish and inexpensive maternity clothes. The articles I found most interesting were "8 Clothing Items in Your Pre-Pregnancy Closet that Convert to Great Maternity Clothes" and "Where To Find Inexpensive Maternity Clothes". When my bump started growing I was surprised at how I didn't really need very many items and how many of my pre-pregnancy outfits I was able to re-purpose. I am 28 weeks along now and have survived on a handful of new items. I don't thing I will be buying any more maternity outfits for the remainder of my pregnancy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search