The worst names

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I'm over here thinking about names that might not have been thought through. My brother was always playing baseball, and the uniforms had the initial of the first name and whole last name. One of the coaches was named Paul Enis. So you can just imagine the shock when that shirt arrived! lol

He named his son Jeremy Paul Enis. All I can think is forms. School forms, sometimes driver's licences, Jeremy P. Enis.

My dad wanted to name my sister Rose. Our maiden name is Bush. As an Autumn, she was still made fun of, and often asked the color of her "Autumn bush."

So what are some funny names you've heard?

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
March 15th, 2013, 06:40 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One of the black belts at my daughter's karate school has the last name of Bates. Imagine my suprise when I heard, "Mr. Bates." I whipped my head up and it took moment to realize that Bates was his last name. Glad he doesn't teach her class!
My SIL's brother was going to be named Kyle Kent K. That was until they realized what his initials would be.
A pediatrician I knew changed his name to his mother's maiden name before medical school... His last name had been ****e--pronounced 'Fook'. Good thing as I would hate to have my child try and sound out his last name!

Last edited by *Lana*; March 15th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
March 15th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I once knew of a guy named Eric Shin (listen to how it sounds), he worked it though!
March 16th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Julie
I have met girls named Christmas, January, and Cinderella. No, she did not allow anyone to call her "Cindy". I am not saying these are "bad" names, just very unique.

March 16th, 2013, 06:28 AM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
I once met a woman named Candy Cane and a man named Abbott Abbott III (as in The Third...as in there are 2 other men out there with the name Abbott Abbott) Imagine that family reunion.

I have also met a man named Harry Colon, a woman named Bunny Little and a man named Rich Cash.

I could never do that to a child.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
March 16th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
LOL We told my inlaws the last would be Candy Cane. The believed us, and they were supportive of our decision. =|
MarchMom2007 likes this.

March 16th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents have a friend named Dick (Richard) Small. The worst thing is that he named his son Dick Small Jr. I'm not making this up. You figure they could have gone with Rich as a nickname instead of Dick.
March 16th, 2013, 10:26 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A Girl In One Of My Birth Board Due Date Clubs HaS A Girl Named Bunni. Not My Fave.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
March 16th, 2013, 12:08 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom knew someone who named their kid Chanda with the last name Leer.

My husband knows a family with the last name Hog and named their daughter Ima and Youra.

March 16th, 2013, 12:22 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In NH growing up a guy in my district ran for congress as Dick Sweat, I kid you not, he didn't win but the kids had a field day with his campaign signs. Also at work I saw a business card for a city sanitation worker named, Buddy Packer. C'mon why would he go into that line of work with that name?

March 16th, 2013, 12:55 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
My parents have a friend named Dick (Richard) Small. The worst thing is that he named his son Dick Small Jr. I'm not making this up. You figure they could have gone with Rich as a nickname instead of Dick.
That's so funny - I was just going to post the same thing! There is a guy in our town named Dick Small. Look THAT up in the phone book! Lol
Wren likes this.
March 16th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
deleting - double post
March 16th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Melissa, I think you're right, but it still feels like it should be no one else's business what I name my child, unless they honestly think that the child will suffer because of the name. I don't think Sterling would make a child scarred for life!

I love Matilda, and it looks like it's gaining in popularity: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyage...se&exact=false
March 16th, 2013, 04:43 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love Matilda! What's wrong with that one?? I think Sterling is fine too. (unless your last name is silver??? lol this wouldn't work for us, we are Silvas...)

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
March 16th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I doubt the swear filter is going to let this through, but I'll try. I have a friend who is a teacher, and she told me she once had a child with the name ****head, it is pronounced "Sha-theed." He was a first generation american born, his parents were using a name common in their home country, which I believe was India, and didn't realized it looks identical to the way we read it or that it is a curse word. Imagine my friend's struggle when she came across the name on the first day's role call
*Lana*, Spyctre and jennyrae03 like this.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 16th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermother View Post
My mom knew someone who named their kid Chanda with the last name Leer.

My husband knows a family with the last name Hog and named their daughter Ima and Youra.
I don't like Arwen, but I guess I should be grateful with Bush as my maiden name that Ima wasn't my first!

March 16th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think Arwen is a beautiful name! Is it after the Tolkein character? When I was a child, I used to tell people I'd name my kids Arwen and Eowyn; part of my heart still loves the idea. With a name as common as Jessica in the 80's, I wished with everything to have a name such as Arwen!

Quote:
I don't like Arwen, but I guess I should be grateful with Bush as my maiden name that Ima wasn't my first!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 16th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Leah
I knew a girl growing up whose first name was Summer, middle name Eve.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
March 16th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
I think Arwen is a beautiful name! Is it after the Tolkein character? When I was a child, I used to tell people I'd name my kids Arwen and Eowyn; part of my heart still loves the idea. With a name as common as Jessica in the 80's, I wished with everything to have a name such as Arwen!
Eowyn was a badass character. I'd LOVE to be Eowyn!

Yes, Arwen is from The Lord of the Rings. My dad said she was the second most beautiful woman in the books. He would have named me after the first, but he didn't like Luthien. I personally don't like the books. I did read them, but Tolkien just didn't write about what I wanted to read. Plot was OK, but I wanted to hear about the people, and during the journey it was one long description about the country side. Were the people walking fast? Were they talking or making jokes? Singing? Hell if I know. But I can tell you about the freaking flowers in the books and what they are supposed to look like. =P I can even read his runes in The Hobbit. I know way too much about these books!

The movies were good. They addressed things I wondered about in the books. What did Elrond think about his daughter facing death? From what I remembered, in the books, it was never mentioned. He was just fine with it, I guess. Hated The Hobbit, though. Hated the book AND movie. All around suck. Just boring boring. But the prince dwarf? He was HAWT.

March 17th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My cousin named his dd Eowyn! Most of the relatives didn't know the book so they thought he made it up lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search