Breastfeeding!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree59Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2013, 09:27 AM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenj915 View Post
Yes, i love breastfeeding. Lol, that sounds weird but it was one of the best experiences I've ever had.
I loved it you! As much as it sucked in the beginning (yes, the first few weeks is not wonderful. Between show nips and being tired it is hard. Then the growth spurts happen... Then it gets better.). I am looking forward to it again!

March 22nd, 2013, 09:31 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I had my son on my breasts 24/7. He was born so small because of my BP issues. I had cracked nipples, thrush at least 3x and mastitis.
I can't wait to do it all over again!
slmehaffey likes this.

March 22nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran
I hope to exclusively bf for 6+ months and then slowly introduce solids. I am currently still nursing my 11 month old but plan to ween in August. Don't think I am up for going tandom! BF doesn't work for every woman but I applaud everyone that tries. Our little guy still hasn't even had a running nose, I sing the praises of bf for this.

March 22nd, 2013, 09:46 AM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lana* View Post
I loved it you! As much as it sucked in the beginning (yes, the first few weeks is not wonderful. Between show nips and being tired it is hard. Then the growth spurts happen... Then it gets better.). I am looking forward to it again!
OMG it is so hard! I thought, this is nature, i'm a woman and woman have been doing this for thousands of years. I remember when he was a week old he would just shake his head back and forth at my breast and scream. I felt like screaming too. I can totally understand how difficult it might be for some women who want to breatsfeed so bad and cannot. I know it will be very difficult if for some reason I am not able to breastfeed this baby.

Luckly my son eventually figured it out. This was his full belly milk face stretch. Aww, we are going to have newborns again.

March 22nd, 2013, 09:47 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
I will most definitely breastfeed! My last breastfed until 15 months when I got pregnant and she self weaned I am another weird one who loved breastfeeding It's a great way to bond with your baby and it's convenient and free! I didn't breastfeed for nearly as long with my first 3, but I was determined to make it to a year this last time and I'm so glad I did.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

March 22nd, 2013, 09:51 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aw, even just chatting about BF is making me really excited about bf again! Even though I know it'll probably reaaaaalllly hurt again the first 2 weeks. Those precious newborns in their milk comas with milk dripping down their lip most precious thing ever!
Lotsakids, *Lana*, Anitha and 1 others like this.

March 22nd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Leah
I'm thinking I'll try. It's my first so everything will be new. I definitely would like to try for various reasons, but it'll be winging it times 2 once I go back to work.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
March 22nd, 2013, 10:27 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on BF but this is my first so I'm a little nervous about how it will go. I'm sure it will be fine though. I do plan on pumping so my DH can get in on feedings too.
sweety_pie likes this.

March 22nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It absolutely hurts the first few weeks. It's frustrating, tiring, demanding, etc.
And then it gets better. It becomes relaxing and soothing for both mom and baby.

I hope everyone who wants to nurse is able to. Making it a priority those first few weeks is critical. Have the support of your husband. And new mamas, take that BFing class at the hospital, and have DH come along too!

Last edited by Lemon; March 22nd, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
March 22nd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
I agree with Lemon! Take in BF classes and always ask questions! Lactation consultants can be so, so helpful and no question is silly! It can be difficult, just try to stick with it, it will get easier!
March 22nd, 2013, 11:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
After breastfeeding 4 kids let me tell all you new moms that if you have a hard time it's not you- it's the baby. All four of mine have been different nursers. Luckily my first born was the good/easy one because it was so difficult with #3 I know I would have quit had he been my first. We will all be here to be supportive. Just never blame yourself or feel guilty.
March 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
My daughter had a horrible latch and breathing issues that made our breastfeeding relationship very short. It's not easy, it's emotionally and physically draining but so so so worth it in the end. I responded to the pump and my daughter still has breast milk to this day and she is now 15 months old <3

March 22nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I plan to breastfeed this time around too. I was a bit hasty last time in weaning her and I still feel like a bad mom for doing such a selfish this. Because yes, it was selfish! DD was cluster feeding too much at abt 6 months and I just couldn't do it anymore. I started supplementing her with formula. Plus I was afraid that may be she wasn't getting enough I still continued till she was abt 10 months old but it was only occasionally. She mainly had formula. I also introduced solids at 5 months for her! waaaay early...Now I just chalk it up to first time mom mistakes. My mom was there with me until DD was about 5 1/2 months old to help us. Bless her heart she really really took care of everything! BUT she would constantly comment about how my milk supply was not nearly enough...how hers used to be so abundant etc. etc. clearly wrong things to say to a new mom who is trying to breastfeed and wondering if baby is getting enough!! That really discouraged me. I had a pump which sucked bad (pun intended!) I hardly got a cpl ozs each session. Overall I was not happy. I wish I could have breast fed her longer. But knock-on-wood. DD has been healthy and hardly caught a cold during the first cpl of yrs. She still is a fairly healthy kid.

This time I will be returning to work after abt 6 - 8 weeks. I will be pumping at work. Its going to be more challenging than last time. But I hope to keep at it and EBF until at least 1 yr and start supplementing with solids only at around 7 months.

March 22nd, 2013, 01:02 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For first time moms/first time BF, I totally recommend this book. It was humorous, but it was a great guide. Because of it, I trusted my body rather than running to formula--it doesn't say formula is evil, but when your baby and body are doing exactly what it should is when many people start supplementing with formula--usually the first growth spurt.
So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide 3rd edition: Janet Tamaro: 9781593372859: Amazon.com: Books

March 22nd, 2013, 01:37 PM
Super Mommy
I plan on bf for the first year, and then some possibly. DS 1 and 2 did for a year, then ds3 did for a year and a half. I usually pump when I go back to work and will supplement with a bottle of formula to get them through the day at daycare since I can't pump enough to last them the whole day.
March 22nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
All my babies were BFed. #3 was BF until 24mos. I usually EBF until they start solids around 6-8mos. My last 2 babies never had a single bottle. I anticipate the same with this one.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13) -2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22" born sleeping
at 39w pg due to thrombophelia; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) - 3VBA2C 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Praying for our rainbow baby coming in March!

March 22nd, 2013, 03:42 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I will, I have nursed all my other babies for various times!!!!
5 time HG survivor , AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 9mo 10/10/13

March 22nd, 2013, 03:52 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All things going well I will be breastfeeding this baby. Currently am still feeding my 21 month old once a day. But my supply had plummeted since I found out I was pregnant, so I am not sure how much longer she'll feed for.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
March 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
YoginiMomma's Avatar Veteran
question: So exclusively breastfed means NO bottles whatsoever/no pumping? For mommas who did this, do you still pump your breastmilk to increase supply/store it just in case/etc?? How long can you be away from baby if you EBF?? I remember taking care of newborns they needed to be fed every 2 hours or so, what about older babies 4-6mos?? How often do they need it? I just would really like to be able to leave the house/leave baby with daddy or my mom to take care of because I know I'm going to need some alone time and not feel like I have a baby chained to my boob constantly.

I also want her/his daddy to be able to help with feeding so it's not always my responsibility.... at least when baby is older past the newborn stage-- if I have to get up 3-5 times a night to feed him/her... I want daddy to do ALL the diapers! It just seems like a big inequality of parental care to EBF-- am I right? My husband has never changed a diaper in his life and I've changed probably the equivalent of 3 years of newborns (working in a daycare with infants 2mos-1 yr and nannying since I was 18 for babies). It's been awhile since I've taken care of infants, so I don't remember the specifics with feeding times as they get older.

*"It is through the body we realize we are a spark of divinity"* ~ Iyengar

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 22nd, 2013, 05:18 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
No bottles, ever. I only pumped the first 3 days to get my milk to come in. There's no need to pump after that unless you plan to go back to work. Supply issues happen when you skip nursings and give bottles or you're supplementing. Most women make enough for their baby.

I left the baby with DH. I would just nurse right before I leave and be back in time for the next feeding. Once the nursing is established (about 4-6w), the baby usually will nurse every 3hrs during the day. Nighttime nursing varies on the baby. #2 STTN at 6w old, so he nursed mostly during the day. I nurse on demand, so I don't stick my baby to any kind of clock. They're all different in their needs.

Personally, I find the benefits of BFing to be more important than passing off responsibility to someone else. There are plenty of other responsibilities available.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13) -2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22" born sleeping
at 39w pg due to thrombophelia; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) - 3VBA2C 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Praying for our rainbow baby coming in March!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search