Breastfeeding!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree59Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I loved "So That's What They're For!" I still have it. It's quite a conversation starter on my book case LOL!
Quote:
I totally recommend this book. It was humorous, but it was a great guide. Because of it, I trusted my body rather than running to formula--it doesn't say formula is evil, but when your baby and body are doing exactly what it should is when many people start supplementing with formula--usually the first growth spurt.
So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide 3rd edition
*Lana* likes this.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 22nd, 2013, 07:40 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoginiMomma View Post
question: So exclusively breastfed means NO bottles whatsoever/no pumping? For mommas who did this, do you still pump your breastmilk to increase supply/store it just in case/etc?? How long can you be away from baby if you EBF?? I remember taking care of newborns they needed to be fed every 2 hours or so, what about older babies 4-6mos?? How often do they need it? I just would really like to be able to leave the house/leave baby with daddy or my mom to take care of because I know I'm going to need some alone time and not feel like I have a baby chained to my boob constantly.

I also want her/his daddy to be able to help with feeding so it's not always my responsibility.... at least when baby is older past the newborn stage-- if I have to get up 3-5 times a night to feed him/her... I want daddy to do ALL the diapers! It just seems like a big inequality of parental care to EBF-- am I right? My husband has never changed a diaper in his life and I've changed probably the equivalent of 3 years of newborns (working in a daycare with infants 2mos-1 yr and nannying since I was 18 for babies). It's been awhile since I've taken care of infants, so I don't remember the specifics with feeding times as they get older.
I don't know what everyone's definition of EBF is... I did not give bottles. I had such a hard time breast feeding at first and had heard a million stories about giving your baby a bottle and then they won't go back to the breast. So I didn't use one. I woke up 6-10 times a night for 6 months. But I am not working and DH works fulltime and supports us all. I didn't feel like it wasn't fair that I was the only one up at night. I could sleep when the baby took a nap. I think DH felt a little like it wasn't fair when he had to leave us to go to work. He just wanted to be with us and see every milestone and be at every appointment.

As for getting out... Infants do need to be fed every 2 hours or so. I was always able to go out and get a sandwich at a cafe and a pedicure in that amount of time while DH watched our baby. And for our date nights, my mom would come to our house and we would go to our favorite sushi place and get back within the two hours.

If you are breastfeeding every 2 hours, YOU (your boobs), are going to NEED to feed the baby every two hours. You will be leaking and swollen.

There are so many gooD breast feeding books. Kelly mom was my go to breast feeding website though.
http://kellymom.com/category/bf/
Effervescence and slmehaffey like this.

Last edited by Laurenj915; March 22nd, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
March 22nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
I will. I have a funny relationship with breastfeeding. I was very gung-ho about it with my first. Very determined that he would have nothing but breast milk. But because of his genetic syndrome (which we didn't know he had, at the time) he had a lot of feeding issues that became more pronounced around six months old. He was hospitalized and I was pretty much forced to give him formula (give him formula, or we call child services, basically was their tune) He had stopped growing, which actually wasn't a fault of breastfeeding, many children with the syndrome stop growing for a period during infancy, but we didn't know he had this syndrome so they assumed it was my milk. I was "allowed" to start pumping and adding formula to my breastmilk for extra calories, and I ended up pumping for him until he was nine months old. I blamed myself for TWO YEARS because of all his problems, I thought it was because I was so dead set on breastfeeding. I had a lot of "friends" tell me basically that it was the fault of my milk, as well as doctors

Anyway, then my daughter was born and she did not have the problems he had with feeding. I was so cautious about breastfeeding her, but it worked out! I am still nursing her, but will stop by June (her third b-day) She was exclusively breastfed until around seven months when we introduced her to a little bit of food.

With this one, I will breastfeed, but I won't be as devestated if it doesn't work out. I was really left scarred by how things panned out with my son. Even after we found out why he had all of these problems and knew that it in fact was not my fault, those feelings are still there. It always sounds silly when I'm explaining it to other people.
That is so unfortunate, what you went through with your son! I totally get it, and I feel bad that the doctors and your friends made you believe it was your milk that caused his problems! It sounds like you are finding healing for yourself in it and that is good.

I will breastfeed, I did with my son, and he latched like a pro and I thought I was a pro...lol... then I had my daughter, didn't get to try breastfeeding until she was 4 hours old, and even though DH kept them from giving her a bottle I never did get a good latch out of her and ended up pumping until she was 8 months when I just couldn't keep up with the schedule and my milk supply was dropping.
I will try my darndest to make breastfeeding work, and feel I have a better shot at it if I get my HBAC or even just any kind of VBAC rather than another section, but if it doesn't work out I plan to pump again for as long as I can handle it.

March 22nd, 2013, 07:57 PM
YoginiMomma's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenj915 View Post
I don't know what everyone's definition of EBF is... I did not give bottles. I had such a hard time breast feeding at first and had heard a million stories about giving your baby a bottle and then they won't go back to the breast. So I didn't use one. I woke up 6-10 times a night for 6 months. But I am not working and DH works fulltime and supports us all. I didn't feel like it wasn't fair that I was the only one up at night. I could sleep when the baby took a nap. I think DH felt a little like it wasn't fair when he had to leave us to go to work. He just wanted to be with us and see every milestone and be at every appointment.

As for getting out... Infants do need to be fed every 2 hours or so. I was always able to go out and get a sandwich at a cafe and a pedicure in that amount of time while DH watched our baby. And for our date nights, my mom would come to our house and we would go to our favorite sushi place and get back within the two hours.

If you are breastfeeding every 2 hours, YOU (your boobs), are going to NEED to feed the baby every two hours. You will be leaking and swollen.

There are so many gooD breast feeding books. Kelly mom was my go to breast feeding website though.
http://kellymom.com/category/bf/
thank you for all that info!!! I read that about the bottles-boob difficulty- it's called nipple confusion or something like that right? My husband is able to take paternity leave -- and then as soon as the max paternity leave is up it's his winter break (he's a teacher) and my due date is just perfect... because he'll be able to be home with me all of november, december and half of january- so almost the entire newborn period!

*"It is through the body we realize we are a spark of divinity"* ~ Iyengar

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 22nd, 2013, 08:21 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoginiMomma View Post
question: So exclusively breastfed means NO bottles whatsoever/no pumping? For mommas who did this, do you still pump your breastmilk to increase supply/store it just in case/etc?? How long can you be away from baby if you EBF?? I remember taking care of newborns they needed to be fed every 2 hours or so, what about older babies 4-6mos?? How often do they need it? I just would really like to be able to leave the house/leave baby with daddy or my mom to take care of because I know I'm going to need some alone time and not feel like I have a baby chained to my boob constantly.

I also want her/his daddy to be able to help with feeding so it's not always my responsibility.... at least when baby is older past the newborn stage-- if I have to get up 3-5 times a night to feed him/her... I want daddy to do ALL the diapers! It just seems like a big inequality of parental care to EBF-- am I right? My husband has never changed a diaper in his life and I've changed probably the equivalent of 3 years of newborns (working in a daycare with infants 2mos-1 yr and nannying since I was 18 for babies). It's been awhile since I've taken care of infants, so I don't remember the specifics with feeding times as they get older.
To me, EBF is providing only breastmilk for nourishment--whether it comes directly from the breast or the milk is pumped. I have friends who exclusively pumped--child had a bad latch latch or poor muscle tone, was in NICU, etc, so they only dream milk from the bottle (I applaud exclusive pumpers add being a part-time pumper is hard enough).

The meaning of EBF also changes when the child starts eating solids--then they are not only getting nourishment from breastmilk. But to some EBF means they did not use formula.

It is recommended you wait until at least 6 weeks of age before you try a bottle, also it should be someone other than mom who gives the baby the bottle. Www.kellymom.com had great info on how to bottle feed breastfed baby. When baby is at the breast, they have to work harder for the milk and it takes longer to eat. Give a breastfed baby a bottle and they can suck that thing down fast. It is suggested that if it takes 30 minutes for a feeding, you should try to prolong the bottle feeding session so baby is slowly getting milk at about the same speed as breastfeeding. I printed that stuff out and have it to my dad and he was great at letting her feedings last awhile. Otherwise a breastfed baby could eat alot in a short amount of time and risk getting overfilled to the point they spit up a lot... moms do cry over spilled/wasted breastmilk!

March 22nd, 2013, 08:34 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son had bottles of breastmilk (even before his feeding issues came into play) and I considered him "exclusively" breastfed because everything he was getting was coming from my breasts! My daughter never accepted a bottle. Wouldn't have anything to do with any brand. She wouldn't fuss or request to be fed until I got home (I was never away for more than an hour or two.. the longest was when my best friend came back from Finland and we went to see a show together, I think that was about three hours, she just preferred to wait until I was home. I donated a lot of the milk I pumped for her because she wouldn't drink it.) I took my pump and a small insulated lunch bag with me if it was a time Baby would normally be eating. I usually found a place to pump and would just keep the milk in the bag, we weren't out long enough for it to go bad. I even pumped at Severence Hall once! That is a high class concert hall, DH and I were on our first date since having the baby, he was three months old. I took my small pump and we showed up early. I found a woman usher and explained my "situation" and asked if there was somewhere I could go during intermission, and she found me a nice little spot tucked away. I still die laughing thinking that I pumped in severence hall LOL! But yeah, if you're going to be away from Babe for long, you will need some way to express, OR make sure you are home quickly. It's uncomfortable and embarrassing! They do make car adapters now for electrical pumps, so you can plug them into cig. lighters in your vehicle in a pinch.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 22nd, 2013, 09:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, so much great info! Lemon, do you realize you put "him/him" in your first post? Maybe your subconscious letting you know you're having a boy?

I plan to breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 or so months, and then solids and BF. At one year (when I go back to work) I'll have to evaluate how things are going but hoping to self wean baby. I guess we'll see though as this is my first.
March 23rd, 2013, 12:39 AM
chachartier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lana* View Post
This is the attitude to have! It goes much easier when you take things day by day rather than creating a goal, that at the beginning, seems almost unattainable. I know so many people who have felt that they failed because they didn't make it to their goal, whether it was by choice, baby had problems, they were unable to produce enough milk, etc.

BF my daughter until she was 26 months. I stopped because I was going to have to travel for work, so to ease the transition of me being gone, I weaned her--mom leaving and taking her milk with would have been hard on her. I weaned a few weeks before I left and she was fine while I was gone. I pumped when I was at work until she was a year, but I had issues keeping up with what she would need the next day (my freezer stash was depleted quickly). I would have to wake during the night to get an extra pumping session in so she would have enough.

I plan to BF this one too. As much as I am a supporter of BF, I truly feel that as long as you are providing nourishment to your child, either breastmilk or formula, then you are meeting the needs of your child.
This sounds very similar to me except the traveling part. I am still nursing my 13 month old but even before I got pregnant I was having a hard time keeping up with his demand through pumping. My supply dropped significantly at 8 days post ovulation and that is how I knew I was pregnant. I was devastated at first but we have been supplementing with goats milk now that he doesn't really need it for nourishment but seems to still rely on it for comfort. Friends have been very supportive applauding my ability to get over a year in, and he still nurses to sleep even though I can tell he isn't getting even a quarter of what he used toget. I wanted to ebf him til at least six months but he was screaming for our food by four months so around five months I gave into him and I am OK with that decision, since it seemed to be what he was ready for and not something I forced on him. With this baby I will have to go back to work around four weeks and obviously I'm worried about switching to the bottle so early, pumping full time, and her/him weaning super early but I will try not to stress about it too much since I don't have a choice really about work! I'm sure we will both adjust to meet baby's needs

Make a pregnancy ticker

March 23rd, 2013, 05:34 AM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on BF this baby. I have BF each of my kids longer than the one before it. I do have to add something about nipple confusion though. DD2 was in the NICU and while she latched in like a pro right after birth I couldn't BF her all the time once I left the hospital. I pitched such a fit I didn't want her to have a bottle but I was given no choice. While in the NICU I struggled and struggled to get her to latch on and she wanted nothing to do with it because she knew she'd get a bottle. I was sitting there in tears over being a failure and not being able to feed my baby when an older nurse came over to talk to me. She asked me if my daughter nursed after she was born and I said yes and latched in great. She then told me I had nothing to worry about that babies will always return to what they first learned and that once my daughter was out of such the stressful situation if the NICU and we were home everything would be fine. My daughter came home from the NICU at 3 days old and refused to take a bottle ever again. She self-weaned at 15 months.
slmehaffey and chachartier like this.
March 24th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Super Mommy
I nursed my first until 10 months. I had some supply issues with her and had to supplement a lot.

At 15months, I'm still nursing Hunter and plan to do so until he wants to stop. That means when #3 comes along I guess I'll be tandem nursing.

I don't want to say I have a "plan" for anything, because when I plan, things fail. But, just taking it day by day we're doing great.

Katie
Author, WAHM, wife to Nick and mommy to Alyse (8) and Hunter (1)!

-- Like vampires? Check out my books -- Read my Blog -- Find me on Facebook --
March 24th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Veteran
I am excited to see so many people planning to breastfeed! I plan on breastfeeding for at least 1 year like I did with my son. When my son was a baby I struggled with breastfeeding for the first month, but once we got the hang of it I was so glad I stuck it out! I was actually inspired to help others and found a job helping new moms (low income families in particular) with breastfeeding help. I did that for over a year and learned so much from state trainings, etc and even got to visit new moms in the hospital and work with them there. I am really looking forward to breastfeeding this baby because I feel so much more prepared than I did with my first.
Like others have mentioned, there are many women that are unable to breastfeed for various reasons and I have seen first hand how difficult and emotional this can be. My heart goes out to everyone that wanted to breastfeed but was unable . I also have nothing against those that choose not to breastfeed, it is a personal choice and not anyone elses business!
I have lots of breastfeeding tips and knowledge and hope to post more about it in the future. As you can probably tell this is one subject I can talk forever about. My biggest piece of advice for moms planning to breastfeed is to make your intentions clear to the hospital staff. I have met lots of nurses that are all for breastfeeding, but I have met just as many that push formula because it is less work for them.
chachartier and MrsPea like this.
March 25th, 2013, 10:30 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
we will be nursing. I let my babies self wean, so no set time. At least a year for sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search