Breastfeeding!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree59Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2013, 04:22 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
Who intends to nurse baby? Will baby be EBF? How long are you aiming to nurse for?

March 22nd, 2013, 04:46 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm hoping to Breastfeed, if I am able to keep it up then I'll just be taking it a day at a time and everyday I get to do it the better!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

March 22nd, 2013, 04:46 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I intend to nurse this time too if all goes well. I won't introduce a bottle of expressed milk for at least 6 weeks and I am aiming to nurse for a year.
I haven't decided if I will give the baby one bittle of formula at night like I did on occasion with Finn.

March 22nd, 2013, 04:47 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will. No formula. I will pump if I need to leave him/him for short periods.
I nursed my son for 12 months and my daughter for 20 months. I will aim to self wean, but would probably try and wrap things up around 2.
slmehaffey likes this.
March 22nd, 2013, 04:52 AM
Proud mommy!
I will nurse. Then pump/nurse when I return to work. I hope to for at least the first year. I nursed my daughter until she was one.

March 22nd, 2013, 05:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I will play it by ear. I hope to breast feed. Orion nursed until almost three. He never tasted formula and that's because I worked full time! My have huge boobs so it took him awhile maybe 4 months until he was able to latch on correctly to eat so I pumped the first few moths and tried to have him latch every other day. He finally just did one day. This next one I will help self wean...I don't think I could do another 3 years!

March 22nd, 2013, 05:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, no formula or bottles. I self wean so no idea how long.
March 22nd, 2013, 05:43 AM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, i love breastfeeding. Lol, that sounds weird but it was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

I won't pump or give bottles at all. I didn't with my son. I just didn't really go anywhere for over 6 months. Around 7 months I introduced solids. I will let the baby self wean. DS self weaned, to my disappointment, after his first birthday.
Allisonjuly and ~*Nicole*~ like this.

March 22nd, 2013, 05:49 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I hope to BF for the first 6-7 months and then move to food. I hope it works out at least that long! I can't picture doing it longer than a year though.
March 22nd, 2013, 06:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
EBFing here. DS1 nursed until 2.5 and DS2 just turned 2 and is still nursing.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
March 22nd, 2013, 07:17 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will. I have a funny relationship with breastfeeding. I was very gung-ho about it with my first. Very determined that he would have nothing but breast milk. But because of his genetic syndrome (which we didn't know he had, at the time) he had a lot of feeding issues that became more pronounced around six months old. He was hospitalized and I was pretty much forced to give him formula (give him formula, or we call child services, basically was their tune) He had stopped growing, which actually wasn't a fault of breastfeeding, many children with the syndrome stop growing for a period during infancy, but we didn't know he had this syndrome so they assumed it was my milk. I was "allowed" to start pumping and adding formula to my breastmilk for extra calories, and I ended up pumping for him until he was nine months old. I blamed myself for TWO YEARS because of all his problems, I thought it was because I was so dead set on breastfeeding. I had a lot of "friends" tell me basically that it was the fault of my milk, as well as doctors

Anyway, then my daughter was born and she did not have the problems he had with feeding. I was so cautious about breastfeeding her, but it worked out! I am still nursing her, but will stop by June (her third b-day) She was exclusively breastfed until around seven months when we introduced her to a little bit of food.

With this one, I will breastfeed, but I won't be as devestated if it doesn't work out. I was really left scarred by how things panned out with my son. Even after we found out why he had all of these problems and knew that it in fact was not my fault, those feelings are still there. It always sounds silly when I'm explaining it to other people.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 22nd, 2013, 07:19 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I really enjoyed it to and miss it. I nursed Sawyer until 19 months. We gradually weaned together- he wasn't asking for it and I was ready to have dad help put him to bed! Planning on bfing and pumping when I go back to work ( which will hopefully just be half days!)

March 22nd, 2013, 07:30 AM
YoginiMomma's Avatar Veteran
I'm planning on breastfeeding until baby weans herself/himself or until 2ish years old. I will NOT give formula.... i don't understand why you would buy processed factory made stuff when your body makes the most perfect food for your baby naturally... and there are ways to increase supply if my boobs for any reason don't make enough. My next door neighbor's baby got deathly ill with salmonella as an infant from the formula that she was given... the mom didn't breastfeed. Most formulas are made with cow's whey and vegetable oils.... not what I want to put in a newborn.

I don't know about giving him/her bottles yet either... I suppose I probably will want the option of being away for more than 2 hours... so I will probably start pumping/giving bottles for my husband/mom to give her/him after a month or two when I'm ready to get back in yoga/the gym/need personal alone time.

*"It is through the body we realize we are a spark of divinity"* ~ Iyengar

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 22nd, 2013, 08:22 AM
Julie
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoginiMomma View Post
I'm planning on breastfeeding until baby weans herself/himself or until 2ish years old. I will NOT give formula.... i don't understand why you would buy processed factory made stuff when your body makes the most perfect food for your baby naturally... and there are ways to increase supply if my boobs for any reason don't make enough. My next door neighbor's baby got deathly ill with salmonella as an infant from the formula that she was given... the mom didn't breastfeed. Most formulas are made with cow's whey and vegetable oils.... not what I want to put in a newborn.

I don't know about giving him/her bottles yet either... I suppose I probably will want the option of being away for more than 2 hours... so I will probably start pumping/giving bottles for my husband/mom to give her/him after a month or two when I'm ready to get back in yoga/the gym/need personal alone time.
It's great that you're planning to breastfeed and I hope you are successful with it. That being said, many women have problems such as inverted/flat nipples, or a baby that has difficulty latching on. A lot of women need to return to work. If she doesn't have a private office to pump in, it will be embarrassing and more difficult for her to pump during work hours. I know my sister had huge stress and anxiety and pain while breastfeeding for the first time. She stuck with it, but under her circumstances, I am not sure I would have been able to. I breastfed my last child until. Months when for some reason he juststarted refusing it. I could have just pumped at that point, but I had already gone through two pumps that broke so I didn't want to spend money on another one. I will bf for as long as the baby wants to this time, but no longer than 24 months.

March 22nd, 2013, 08:29 AM
Super Mommy
I plan to exclusively breastfeed, slowly introducing solids at 6 months weaning at a year or so.

With my first I had no problems, lots of milk etc. However with my second I had a heck of a time, I could not produce enough milk. I went on Domperidone, ate oatmeal, pumped after every feeding, was at the breastfeeding clinic every week, did everything that I could but she just could not get enough from me. I ended up having to supplement with formula. At first I felt so guilty, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't enough. Then I realized that giving formula isn't the end all and it was better than her not growing. I still ended up breastfeeding until a year but I had to supplement.

With this one I hope that I can exclusively breastfeed but if I need to supplement I won't feel so guilty this time.

03/13 - missed miscarriage at 11 weeks
March 22nd, 2013, 08:36 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
Quote:

I'm glad you're planning to breastfeed to, and I hope you're successful! The above poster mentioned some of the problems women can have when trying to breastfeed.
I am going to try to breastfeed, but I am nervous. When I was a newborn, I was actually ALLERGIC to breastmilk, and after feeding the first time, I was very sick, and then after the second time, I turned blue and stopped breathing. So, some women don't have a choice.
With my DS, I had to have a C-section to save his life. My milk did not come in right away like it did for some ladies. My milk took FOUR weeks to fully come in. Before it did, I literally had black bruises on my nipples, because I let him nurse and nurse and nurse trying to get my body to work and start producing, all the while having to feed formula. I missed out on that bonding that was important to me. I actually found what you said a little offensive/ hurtful to moms who have no choice.

P.S. I turned out completely normal, and so did my son.
Anitha and fancypants27 like this.

Last edited by Wanta.number2; March 22nd, 2013 at 08:59 AM.
March 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

I find this a little upsetting. There are a ton of women out there that just plain can not produce milk. No matter what they do. These women have been 110% for breastfeeding so it was quite disappointing and heartbreaking for them when their body simply would not do what it is supposed to do.

Sure, we all *know* that breast milk is the best for the baby, but sometimes it plain doesn't work out for whatever reason. So yes, sometimes formula needs to be used to step in and literally save a baby's life. Regardless of how synthetic it is, it does the job and saves lives when breastfeeding failed.

My body does not make milk easily. It hurt like he** the first 2 weeks both time, despite all the claims that BF isn't supposed to hurt. I am also convinced my baby had failure to thrive. She was in 3 month clothing by the time she was 6 months old. It wasn't until we started her on solids that she really began to thrive. I just don't think my milk has that fattiness the baby needs. With my second, I wasn't going to let that happen again. My milk instantly started to drop 3 weeks after I had her so we went to formula and she was just as healthy, if not more so throughout her infancy.

This time I do plan to BF for as long as I can, even if it means mostly using formula but still a feeding or 2 of BF so baby can get all s/he can. I also plan to use some other techniques that I didn't have when I was BF my first two. I am really looking forward to it this time and really hope it works out.

Last edited by anothermother; March 22nd, 2013 at 09:12 AM.
March 22nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweety_pie View Post
I'm hoping to Breastfeed, if I am able to keep it up then I'll just be taking it a day at a time and everyday I get to do it the better!
This is the attitude to have! It goes much easier when you take things day by day rather than creating a goal, that at the beginning, seems almost unattainable. I know so many people who have felt that they failed because they didn't make it to their goal, whether it was by choice, baby had problems, they were unable to produce enough milk, etc.

BF my daughter until she was 26 months. I stopped because I was going to have to travel for work, so to ease the transition of me being gone, I weaned her--mom leaving and taking her milk with would have been hard on her. I weaned a few weeks before I left and she was fine while I was gone. I pumped when I was at work until she was a year, but I had issues keeping up with what she would need the next day (my freezer stash was depleted quickly). I would have to wake during the night to get an extra pumping session in so she would have enough.

I plan to BF this one too. As much as I am a supporter of BF, I truly feel that as long as you are providing nourishment to your child, either breastmilk or formula, then you are meeting the needs of your child.

March 22nd, 2013, 09:25 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree. You never know the story behind that bottle. It killed me that I had to stop breastfeeding my son. As I said above, I was devastated and still deal with demons in my head over it. It is wonderful when a mother wants to breastfeed, it is hurtful when judgement is passed on either end of the spectrum. We all try our best for our babies.
Anitha, fancypants27 and MrsPea like this.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 22nd, 2013, 09:26 AM
karmaissotrue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to karmaissotrue Send a message via Yahoo to karmaissotrue
I hope to this time around, with DS I choose not too. I produced lots of milk though. This time I want conserve as many resources as possible and formula quickly added up to a $200 a week commitment.

THANKS SO MUCH KILIKI FOR THE WONDERFUL SIGGY

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search