Homemade baby food

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lemon

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2013, 09:43 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I really want to do this for this baby. Anyone have any good recomendations on how to do it?

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
March 22nd, 2013, 09:51 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
A friend of mine is giving me a baby bullet food processor, so I'm excitedly planning to make my own... any suggestions btdt moms?
March 22nd, 2013, 09:53 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I didn't realize they had a baby bullet. I have a regular bullet that I use all the time to make hummus, guacamole and stuff like that.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
March 22nd, 2013, 10:05 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was looking at the baby bullet too and thinking of trying some stuff with it.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
March 22nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just used my food processor. "Feed me I'm yours" is a book my mom used about making baby food and I also used it. Great baby food recipes and lots of good toddler ideas too. Home made fruit leather yummmm

http://www.amazon.com/Yours-Vicki-Ro...mm_pap_title_0

March 22nd, 2013, 10:31 AM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
I have a baby bullet and made homemade food for my son. It was so easy and saved so much money! I did all kinds of fruits and veggies and froze them in ice cube trays. I bagged them in those ziplocks that you can suck the air out of and then just popped 2-3 in the microwave when it was time to eat. I know I cooked some stuff on the stove and some stuff in the oven (pears and apples I think) but I can't remember exactly which was which. I'll have to look at my chart.

March 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This website is helpful

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

I really enjoyed making mine. I would usually do several batches on a Sunday when DH was home to entertain the kids.
*Lana* and jamieshalon2 like this.
March 22nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on doing this too, but I'm going to use my food processor. With all my kitchen gadgets I can't justify buying the baby bullet.

March 22nd, 2013, 11:00 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
I wouldn't be buying it either lol. Thanks for the links ladies!
March 22nd, 2013, 11:07 AM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
I have the baby bullet (got it as a shower gift) and love it. I spent 1 hour making 2 weeks worth of food. So much cheaper and healthier for baby!!

March 22nd, 2013, 11:20 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to look into the baby bullet and try and make my own food this time!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}

Forever missing my Mom...
March 22nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I made it using my heavy duty food processor/blender. I made Apples, Pears, peas, beans, butternut squash, carrots etc. I usually just chopped them up & cooked them with water until they are almost mashable consistency and then blended them into a thick puree. Then I would freeze them in ice cube trays and store the cubes in ziplock bags. So healthy, easy & yummy too. If you tasted a homemade serving of carrot puree vs a gerber jar you will realize how much more tastier the home made version is!! But there was one small problem, DD got so spoiled with the home made food that she would never touch the gerber jars even for emergencies

March 22nd, 2013, 12:04 PM
Julie
I did with the last kid and will with this one. I have a baby bullet but you can just use the regular one.I feel that iI could make the food more flavorful and exactly how I wanted it. I pureed stuff like avocado, sweet potato, carrots, lentil vegetable soup, fruits, etc. It was really easy to freeze and thaw too.

March 22nd, 2013, 12:31 PM
Veteran
I've made all my 11 months food except a little rice cereal, freeze dried yogurt drops and sweet potatoes. If you garden its a great way to take advantage of all your homegrown goodness. I have a Baby Bullet and a food processor, I have to say I am not that impress with the Baby Bullet. I have packed it back in its box except for the little containers it comes with and just use the food processor. I can make bigger batches and get a better texture with the food proceesor. Like the other ladies said ice cube trays and zip lock bags make it great. It makes me feel better when I know exactly whats in each meal he eats!!

March 22nd, 2013, 12:56 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is super easy to make your own. If you have any type of food processor (or even if you dont) your good to go. Just steam your veggies and fruits until they are soft. And either use the food processor ( you can add breast milk, formula or water to change consistency), or just mash it up by hand.

We do baby led weaning, but I do store some purees in the freezer for quick baby meals.

March 22nd, 2013, 01:11 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No need to buy any special equipment marketed for baby food. They don't hold much. It lasts in a deep freeze for 30 days (fridge freezer may be the same). I spent 1-2 hours a month making baby food--all in one day. The first month of food cost $12 for all organic produce... No way you could buy a month of baby food for that price.
http://www.wholedomebabyfood.com has "recipes" and great guides on when baby can have certain foods.
Never bought baby meats either--they were disgusting. I would bake chicken and put some through a food mill and mix it with purees.

March 22nd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There was a period of a couple months where I made homemade food, but my daughter preferred some of the jarred stuff too, and then was onto solids. I definitely recommend trying it, especially if you don't have to shell out for a specialized piece of equipment.
March 22nd, 2013, 07:45 PM
YoginiMomma's Avatar Veteran
I have a magic bullet and a cuisinart food processor so I won't be buying any equipment-- it's easy... just steam and puree! I'll probably get a couple cookbooks for creativity though. When I was a baby my mom made most of my food and my favorite was carrot... I ate so much my nose turned yellow.

*"It is through the body we realize we are a spark of divinity"* ~ Iyengar

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 22nd, 2013, 08:57 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a blender and a food processor so I think between them both I'll be ok. I can't wait to make baby food this time around!

March 25th, 2013, 09:13 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I wanna get the baby bullet and give it a try this time.

We shall see.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search