Ohh life, sometimes you suck

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
Can I complain for a minute? I need to get some things off my mind. This may be long...

I got laid off on Feb 27th, remember that? Well a week later, DH got laid off too.... Awesome. So neither of us are employed at the moment. I'm getting $250 a week in Unemployment checks and DH wasn't approved because he wasn't at his full time job long enough. So that is our total income right now.

A little back story.. DH started school Feb of 2012 to become an HVAC tech. He went full time and only worked part time for most of the year. We struggled to pay bills, but knew it was going to be rough. We got backed up. Luckily my parents own our home (we pay the mortgage) but were willing to let us just pay the taxes and whatever else we could for about 8 months. DH finally got a full time HVAC job in November and it allowed us to start paying off things we owed. The entire time, we had planned on conceiving when DH graduated.

Fast forward to February. I found out I was pregnant on February 1st and we were both ecstatic. Perfect timing right? DH graduated in February with his certification and everything was going as planned. We got our income taxes back and were able to get most things paid up to date (expect the mortgage to my parents) We gave them a huge chunk but not 8 months worth.

So here's what is bugging me. Our son is in an awesome daycare. He was recently potty trained and is involved in swimming lessons, yoga, open gym and everything else a normal daycare offers. He thrives there and absolutely loves it. It breaks my heart to think about taking him out because we can no longer afford it. DH is actively looking for a job but wants to definitely go into the HVAC field (who wouldn't after putting all the work into school and just graduating?) I will be looking for a job as soon as I can sit up for more than 45mins at a time without feeling super nauseous. So I am stuck. We waited over 2 months on the waiting list to get him into the daycare and I am scared that if we take him out, he won't be able to get back in once we both find jobs.

My parents have been awesome in letting us slide so much on our mortgage payments. I know my Dad has been looking forward to more regular payments for awhile now. There is no way that can even begin to happen in our current situation.

I feel like everything was perfectly planned and then bam, bam, bam....all within 2 weeks everything came crashing down. I lost my health insurance and now have to apply for government assistance.

I feel like DH should be looking for anything and everything but I know I don't want just any job either. I want him to have a career with good benefits and so does he. The entire reason he went to school was so that he could stop working random, low paying jobs and instead be successful in a job he loves.

I'm a total worrier and a d@mn mess right now. Bills, mortgage, daycare, insurance, BLAH!

Thanks for letting me vent. If you have any advice or suggestions feel free. I'd love some input!

March 22nd, 2013, 07:20 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly no advice, but I hope you both find good jobs and soon too! HVAC, is that helicopter rescue? its the only thing I can think of for that accronym.
I know how rough it is to not have things settled and doing ok, I also know how it feels to have it all crash around you... I lost my dog, had a miscarriage, DH lost his military career and we had to move across the country to move into my parents house all in a matter of three months... it isn't fun. I'll be keeping you in my prayers! Please keep us all updated on how things go.
And though it is awful that you waited so long to get your son in daycare, if job prospects are few I personally would just take him out and try to find as many local free things to do as possible to keep him socially entertained, maybe join a local MOPS group, find a playgroup and check the internet for free museums days or kids events in your area to attend when they come up. I know he'd miss his friends and all the activity, but it would probably save you guys a lot of money and help you stay on top of things....?

March 22nd, 2013, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just watched American Winter last night. Scary stuff. I'm glad you have help!
March 22nd, 2013, 08:01 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry you are going through such a tough situation right now. it is kind of your parents to let you slide on the mortgage payments, it's nice you have one area you could ease up on a little. That really sucks and I hope you guys find some awesome well paying jobs soon!

March 22nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It seems like such a hard decision when unemployed to take anything vs. holding off for a job in your field. Once you take a job, you don't have time to do interviews, and might feel obligated to stay for a while, but in this economy it is such a risk to hope that something better will come along. I'm sorry you guys are going through that.
March 22nd, 2013, 08:34 PM
Julie
oh no! when it rains it pours, sorry you are going through a rough time.You are doing all you can now though-and your DH is very smart to have gotten that HVAC certification, just gotta be patient waiting for a job opening. I hope your son can stay in daycare, sounds like an awesome place!

March 23rd, 2013, 05:34 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's awful, I'm so sorry.
Fingers crossed you both get good jobs quickly!
March 23rd, 2013, 06:27 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry hun, I'll be praying your situation starts to look up. I understand the predicament with your Dh wanting a job in his job field but also just needing a job. I hope something comes open soon.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

March 23rd, 2013, 09:02 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmehaffey View Post
Honestly no advice, but I hope you both find good jobs and soon too! HVAC, is that helicopter rescue? its the only thing I can think of for that accronym.
Haha, sorry this gave me a good chuckle, HVAC is heating, ventilation, & Air Conditioning, but helicopter rescue would be bad ***! (And probably harder to find a good job for without relocating.)

That is a tough situation, hang in there guys! HVAC techs are always needed so I hope something good comes up for him soon. In the meantime I would bite the bullet and start cutting costs any which way you can. You don't know how long this will go on for and every penny will count in the long run.

March 23rd, 2013, 09:06 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So sorry your going through such a tough time!! HUGS! Hope things start to look up!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

March 23rd, 2013, 09:06 AM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPea View Post
Haha, sorry this gave me a good chuckle, HVAC is heating, ventilation, & Air Conditioning, but helicopter rescue would be bad ***! (And probably harder to find a good job for without relocating.)

That is a tough situation, hang in there guys! HVAC techs are always needed so I hope something good comes up for him soon. In the meantime I would bite the bullet and start cutting costs any which way you can. You don't know how long this will go on for and every penny will count in the long run.
You can't tell I'm a prior military wife can you? LOL.

March 23rd, 2013, 09:41 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow.... I'm so sorry you have to deal with this we went through a similar thing after we found out we were pregnant with Alexis. Obviously, everything turned around and things started working out. Hopefully you guys will turn a corner soon!

March 23rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
What an awful chain of events! The good news is that you have a happy healthy family and supportive parents. Soon you will feel better, I know it. And spring/summer is coming, so DH should be able to find work soon. Since you are responsible and paying your parents back when it's available, if they can afford it, I think they will continue to help. Just keep your head up and vent all you need here. I would hesitate to take the little one out of daycare, if it's so hard to get a spot, but you have to do what you have to do. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
March 23rd, 2013, 01:01 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When it rains it pours! Sounds like a rough situation, I hope your hubby finds work soon. The roughest times make for the best stories years from now!
March 23rd, 2013, 03:01 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Too bad about day care! can you talk to the director, maybe work something out? I would suggest CCAP, but I think you need to be working to qualify.

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
March 23rd, 2013, 03:11 PM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
You guys are the best. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers! I think it's called CCIS here and yeah, you have to have a job to qualify. I was thinking about talking to the director. I still don't really know what to do. I need to put in 2 weeks notice before taking him out so maybe I can do that and hopefully a job opportunity comes soon. I don't know. I truly appreciate all of the responses!!

March 25th, 2013, 10:26 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
((((HUGS)))) Im sorry. I know how tough it is struggle like that. I don't have any awesome advise, but I will certainly be thinking of you all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search