Anyone plan on cord blood banking or have experience with it?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2Corinthians10:4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
Hey ladies! I lurk on the boards every now and then but honestly most of my spare time is spent sleeping right now so I feel like I miss out on alot. I apologize if someone already mentioned this! I got an e-mail today about cord blood banking and decided to research it more tonight at work. Does anyone here have experience doing it or is anyone else planning on doing it with this baby? We didn't do it with my first for several reasons: the cost was quite a bit, and my doctor at the time gave me a few reasons that it wasn't all its cracked up to be. Problem is that now I don't remember those reasons, and everything I have read seems to point to cord blood banking being a solid and smart decision. What do you think and why or why aren't you planning on doing it?
March 24th, 2013, 05:18 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have experience with cord blood banking, but have researched it. What we have decided to do is wait until the cord stops pulsing to the cut it, and not donate the cord blood. By waiting until the cord stops pulsing all that cord blood and goodness goes into our baby so the baby will benefit from it.
curlimama05 likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

March 24th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Julie
With my first I banked the blood. It was about $1200 initially and then like $200 every year. We haven't had any need for it yet, but I have heard of kids getting sick with leukemia or other cancers and the doctors have asked if the cord blood was banked. I have no idea if that would have helped since those familiEs had not banked the cord blood. From what I've read it's like having an insurance policy for something that is very unlikely to happen, but if you have a family history of certain ddiseases you might need it more than a person with no family history.

March 24th, 2013, 07:22 AM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't the first time. My doctor recently asked about it and I said I wasn't sure. If we don't, then I would like to at least donate it. His first comment was that it doesn't benefit us if we donate (I.e. If we need cord blood, or donation wouldn't mean we would get any in return...definitely not a thought I had our anything I would ever expect).
I have been around when it was collected. A pretty simple process--they provide you with a box that*has*everything they need. Give that to the hospital staff when you are there for delivery and they will take care of everything (make sure you give it to them ahead of time as each company has their own set of similar instructions). Once it is collected, they give the box back to you and you ensure it gets picked up---people usually met a delivery person in the lobby.

March 24th, 2013, 12:41 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm thinking of donating it, but will have to research it more.

March 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I gave birth at the last hospital, donating to a public cord bank wasn't an option. The private bank seems pretty expensive.
March 25th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We didn't with the first two. I personally felt like the baby needed that blood. We also wait until the cord stops pulsing.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
March 25th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
We are donating. This wasn't an option that I was given with DS and thought it was a really cool idea. We would bank but neither of us have any family histories of cancer/disease/birth defects.
March 25th, 2013, 07:26 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
My niece has type 1 diabetes... they wished they'd banked it. They banked their second's who doesn't have type 1 now, hopefully she doesn't get it. We may, but it's very expensive so we likely won't do it.
March 25th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was under the impression that cord blood banking really didn't help that particular baby, but could help the siblings of that baby. Like, if a baby ends up with a genetic disorder or leukemia or something, then that baby's cord blood would also have the same genetic predispositions, so it wouldn't be that helpful. But if a SIBLING's cord blood had been banked, and that sibling was healthy, then the sibling's blood could help the sick child. So I thought the purpose for banking cord blood was to help siblings of the baby, but that it wouldn't provide that much help to that baby.

I never really did all that much research on it with my last 2, and we didn't bank the cord blood, but I think I have a lot to learn on this topic, so I'm also really curious what others have done, and if they've banked the blood, why (and how much it cost).

August 2012 December 2012
March 25th, 2013, 10:00 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
we are not, the cost is too much.

March 25th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Miss Bliss's Avatar Veteran
We are going to delay clamping as well so I'm pretty sure that means we can't bank or donate.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search