Sinus infection, at home treatment?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 03:35 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
So along with the morning sickness I work up Saturday morning with tons of sinus pressure and pain. I seem to get a bad sinus infection every other spring or so. I dread antibiotics as I end up with a raging yeast infection an the antibiotics don't help with the pain.

Anyone have home/natural ways to fight a sinus infection?

March 25th, 2013, 03:57 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you ever tried a netti pot? They help me a lot.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

March 25th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Leah
You can make your own saline mix. I used kosher salt, 1 teaspoon to a couple cups I think. I used an oral syringe because I didn't have a netti pot. I did that sevrral times a day. I also took sudafed 4 times a day. A humidifier too. This was before pregnancy though. My Dr did say sudafed was OK, buttthe kind behind the pharmacy counter.

All that said, you still might need antibiotics. I'm currently taking a probiotic to help prevent yeast infection. I just had one and the Dr said yogurt three times a day. Yogurt is a no-no Leah's gonna puke smell.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
March 25th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Miss Bliss's Avatar Veteran
Hmmm the only things could think would be maybe some herbal teas for inflammation?

http://studiobotanica.com/15-top-ant...-herbs-spices/

Not sure if they are all safe in pregnancy or not....

March 25th, 2013, 08:09 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a sinus infection and it's not natural but I took one benedryll every 6 hours for 2 days and it doesn't hurt anymore. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in....

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
March 25th, 2013, 08:32 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Neti pot for sure!

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

March 25th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do steam inhalation with a couple drops of eucalyptus oil or axe oil. I do it a few times day and my sinuses are usually completely drained by day 2.

March 25th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Veteran
I swear by the Neti pot too but sometimes even that is not enough if the infection is really set in.

March 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
does the neti pot leave you with a feeling of I just got water up my nose at the pool?

March 25th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran
We jokingly call the Neti pot "at home water boarding" at our house but once you get use to it, I swear its not that bad. Use distilled water and slightly warm it up first
and you should be good to go. One side note if you have a deviated septum like I do, you can never get all the water out at once and at some time during the day or night depending on when you flush it will randomly pour out (a little gross but well worth it to me - I have been able to stop taking 2 kinds of daily allergy medicine with a change in diet and regular use of the Neti pot)!

March 25th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Veteran
We jokingly call the Neti pot "at home water boarding" at our house but once you get use to it, I swear its not that bad. Use distilled water and slightly warm it up first
and you should be good to go. One side note if you have a deviated septum like I do, you can never get all the water out at once and at some time during the day or night depending on when you flush it will randomly pour out (a little gross but well worth it to me - I have been able to stop taking 2 kinds of daily allergy medicine with a change in diet and regular use of the Neti pot)!

March 25th, 2013, 10:45 AM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The saline in the nasal rinses are more soothing than just water up your nose. When I have a sinus infection I rinse in the morning and evening. I really like the Neil Med kit: NeilMed Pharmaceuticals - Sinus Rinse Isotonic
March 25th, 2013, 03:16 PM
YoginiMomma's Avatar Veteran
I definitely recommend neti pot (if you can find a salt blend with essential oils mixed in with the salt even better).

also- hydrogen peroxide (the kind you have in your medicine cabinet) - lay on your side and have someone slowly carefully pour a little in your ears- like 4-6 drops if you have a medicine dropper. Lay there and wait for it to stop fizzing, then let it drain out and do the other side. It kills viruses/bacteria and everything is all connected in there.

Herbally- natural anti-biotics that you can take while pregnant are limited- Wishgarden herbs does make a great immune support tincture for pregnancy that you can get at your local health food store (if you have one). If not-- try the above 2 remedies and try to stay off the antibiotics- they're horrible. Sinus infections are often caused by a virus, NOT a bacteria, so antibiotics won't do anything, it will just seem like it as the virus naturally progresses out of your system.

*"It is through the body we realize we are a spark of divinity"* ~ Iyengar

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search