Paleo Pregnancy

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Rosiegirl7
  • 3 Post By MrsLat
  • 2 Post By ~*Nicole*~
  • 1 Post By soul_donut
  • 1 Post By Dolly Lama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I'm contemplating going back to my Paleo diet while I'm pregnant. For those of you that don't know, Paleo is also known as the "caveman" diet where you eat meats, veggies, fruits, nuts nad seeds-stuff cavemen would eat.

I did some research on it and it is extremely healthy and gives you all the required nutrients that the baby needs, its not so much a "diet" but just a healthy way of eating. As long as you stick to the allowed foods you can eat as much of it as you want. I just hope my cravings will allow me to try this. For anyone that is interested here is a neat link:

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fit...-you-your-baby
March 29th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No carbs? Isn't a balanced diet of all food groups better than cutting stuff out? I guess I just don't understand all these different types of "diets." Balance your meals, drink water, and exercise= healthy.

March 29th, 2013, 01:18 PM
You can get more than enough carbs from fruits and veggies and they are more easily digested in the system. It's still a very balanced diet, and when I used to do it before I was pregnant I never felt better!
March 29th, 2013, 01:40 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*Lurking* I followed a very slightly modified Paleo diet prior to getting pregnant, then stopped and have now resumed it because I just feel sooooooo much better when I follow it. (I have some medical problems that are greatly improved by following the diet). It is definitely possible to follow it and have a very healthy pregnancy. I have noticed the problem I am having is making sure I get enough calories, lol. That will come in handy when I am trying to lose the post baby weight but just something to keep in mind while you are trying to gain!

Just don't be too hard on yourself if you need to cave and give into a craving here and there I know there is no way I will be able to make it another 10 weeks without at least one brownie

And in response to the other poster, I have never had trouble reaching my daily carbs with fruits and veggies

Good luck to you and congrats on your pregnancy!

Last edited by MrsLat; March 29th, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
March 29th, 2013, 01:41 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Paleo is essentially the same as eating clean, which is the healthiest way to possibly eat. You can get plenty of complex carbohydrates from fruits and vegetables and our bodies have no need for carbs from other sources, or simple carbs. I agree that its not so much a diet as it is just a healthy way of life. I'm not doing it right now, but have in the past and felt and looked amazing. I might start again once this crappy feeling subsides.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

March 29th, 2013, 02:43 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
That sounds like a good idea.. I don't think at this junction that I could stop eating carbs, but this diet does make me feel good under normal circumstances! I like fruits veg and meat. I didn't check but I'd sneak cheese in if it was not allowed, I don't care
Rosiegirl7 likes this.
March 29th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my normal way of eating, and when I do it, I feel amazing! The only reason I stopped to begin with is because of my ms - for a while I could only eat toast, pretzels, crackers ect.

Now that I'm feeling better, I'm trying to head back in this direction, but after being sloppy for a few months, it's hard!
Rosiegirl7 likes this.
March 29th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
That sounds like a good idea.. I don't think at this junction that I could stop eating carbs, but this diet does make me feel good under normal circumstances! I like fruits veg and meat. I didn't check but I'd sneak cheese in if it was not allowed, I don't care
You are such a rebel, but I like it. No you can't have dairy or cheese since cows weren't milked during the caveman days. But you're right cheese is so so good..it's hard to give up!
March 29th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My family has been mostly paleo since mother's day last year, so nearly a year now. I don't follow it as strictly as my husband does. I still eat peas and beans, occasional rice and occasional wheat products, we still have peanut butter. I mentioned in my nachos post (I think it was there) that we are trying to eat mostly paleo except that day was my birthday so I splurged and made nachos (with corn chips, beans, and corn) I really craved them badly!

It isn't really no carbs. Not at all, actually. It is no grains. The premise is that we have not evolved to digest properly the foods that have been introduced to our species via agriculture. So grains like corn, wheat, rice, legumes like peas and peanut butter, beans, soy, lentils, are all out, and dairy is limited. At least that is the way we follow it. We aren't snobs about it though, we flex on it (as said above) My whole family is much healthier for it. People notice the weight that my husband and I lost, but it is more than that. We are healthier all around. We don't get as sick as we did, even my son who has a lot of medical problems including a lowered immune system. We have more energy- well I did before I got preggers LOL! I am a marathon runner, and running is actually easier for me than it was with my grain loaded diet. The energy gels and drinks would make me ill and actually could halt a race for me, so even before paleo, I ate things like dried apricots in the middle of my run and drink coconut water instead of the sports drinks. I feel so much better when I run and exercise, and afterwards too.

For our family, we have seen a lot of benefits. It was hard at first. My husband switched almost cold turkey and he had a lot of dizzy spells the first week. His body was actually trying to change the way it regulated his blood sugar because he was so used to processed grains like bread, and processed sugars. His body had to adjust. The kids and I did it more gradually, and as I said we aren't 100% there yet, but close. We were already pretty close before since we have eaten a whole foods diet for a very long time, I don't even remember when I started that.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 29th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, and that being said though, I don't know if I'd try to introduce a new diet like that while pregnant. At least not abruptly. Maybe cut out the "no" foods by 15% every few days or so. I am just saying that based on the stress I saw my husband's body undergo when he switched almost cold turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.June2013 View Post
I have noticed the problem I am having is making sure I get enough calories, lol. That will come in handy when I am trying to lose the post baby weight but just something to keep in mind while you are trying to gain!
I have that exact problem with it. The foods in a paleo diet are not as calorie dense. A lot of times, I substitute out paleo acceptable items in a recipe for non-paleo items. So in chicken noodle soup for example, I put in shredded cabbage instead of noodles. Very tasty, but not as many calories. It's difficult sometimes.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 29th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dealt with infertility for years and years. (unexplained infertility) I have only gotten pregnant 2 times without IVF, a chemical in August and this pregnancy. Both times DH and I were on a Paleo Diet (the whole 30- a very strict version of paleo). I have heard it makes you super fertile. Worked for us

Oh and i think it is perfectly healthy for pregnancy although I have had trouble with hard to digest veggies and protein this trimester. DH still eats paleo so i cook paleo for dinner. I usually eat an english muffin for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch though. I like to eat intuitively and listen to what my body needs so I guess going back to paleo will depend on that.

Last edited by Laurenj915; March 29th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
March 29th, 2013, 05:31 PM
YoginiMomma's Avatar Veteran
I'm moving towards a gluten free, grain free ( EXCEPT OATS AND QUINOA), dairy free, sugar free diet. I was eating vegan for 8 years and recently added fish. I hate eggs. Paleo is not what I'd call it. I'd call it clean gluten-free low-grain, no sugar, pescetarian. but labels suck anyway.

eat mostly greens. sustainable hormone free protein. yummy fruit. lots of alkaline lemon water. that's my goal.

*"It is through the body we realize we are a spark of divinity"* ~ Iyengar

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 29th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
That was how I ate before I was pregnant for the most part. I still had to have my milk, though. =) Now I can't. I can't stomach anything even remotely acidic or I'm in for a world of pain. No fruit at all. Not even juice. I can't have tomatoes. Just bread, meat, cheese, and my vitamins! =P I'm tired eating all this wheat, but I'd rather sleep than be wracked with stomach pain. I'm counting the days till delivery! I will celebrate with a fruit tray. DH will get me one, and I am sharing with no one!

I'm losing weight now. I always do, but I am surprised I'm losing without having all the vomiting. I figured I would gain so much!

This plate of food looks so good. I just wish I could eat it and not throw it up.

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
March 30th, 2013, 04:22 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I've been gluten-free since Nov 2011 and paleo/primal since last year. It's by far the best way to eat! I'm still eating that way. I've felt great this pg thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
I eat this way and I still end up with about 80-100gr of carbs per day. So, it's def not carb-free!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search