Childbirth classes

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2013, 01:10 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is anyone planning on taking them? Does anyone have a specific type they have taken in the past that they found to be beneficial?

We just took the one long hospital class last time, and it was pretty worthless. I'm considering Bradley or hypnobirthing? I just don't know!

March 29th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took one at the birthing center and it was also worthless. We left at the first coffee break. They were talking middle school anatomy. "this is your cervix and it has to dialate..." DH is a firefighter/parametic and has delivered babies so he was not having it.

I did the hypnobabies home study course and I will do that again with this pregnancy.

March 29th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I never did. During my first pregnancy, they told us if we went we'd get a steak dinner. Hyperemesis me promptly vomited at the thought and said, "Let's not go. They'll make us eat."

I was told how to push by a non-mom. She said she was told to push like you're pooping. I was surprised, I'd have gone in and done kegles. It was true enough.
March 29th, 2013, 05:19 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm considering a Bradley class but that would be it.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

March 29th, 2013, 05:30 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to do the OB tours at a hospital. It was great for first time patients and people who had not delivered there beore so they could actually see the facilty and have the different equipment explained to them. I told about what entrance to come in at different times of the day, visiting hours, etc. I would also break the bed down so they could see how it came apart, btought fown the delivery light, showed the baby setup too. Explained what the staff did and who was routinely present (staff) for the delivery. Also discussed c-sections and if there was an emergent one, what would happen (that can be scary with everyone rushing around). Told them about amenities such as jacuzzi tubs, tele monitors, etc
It didn't go over specifics like a childbirth class would, but people seemed more relaxed when it was over. It wasn't uncommon for people to do the tours when they were TTC because the would choose their doctor based off of what hospital they wanted to deliver at.

March 29th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I did hypnobirthing last time and I am so glad I did, it was awesome. the idea of an epidural scares me to death. I will be doing hypnobirthing again but just at home, no classes. one thing I have to recommend, make sure your partner is on board and prepared with you. it can make or break the experience. my DH was completely useless, but my nurse was awesome and knew what to do. This time I'm not even trying to have my DH try, my mom will be there with me.
March 29th, 2013, 06:56 PM
YoginiMomma's Avatar Veteran
I'm just going to read all of ina may's books and use my yoga background to help me through it. Women's bodies and intuitions are the best tools we have I think when we let go and trust them.

*"It is through the body we realize we are a spark of divinity"* ~ Iyengar

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 29th, 2013, 07:29 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went in with my intuition and feeling like I was totally in sync with my body and came out with a c section. :/ so I know I need to do more because doctors don't tend to go with the flow of women's natural abilities to birth children, or atleast mine wasn't. I was on pitocin before I even knew I consented to it.

That being said, I'm not sure my birth would have been a vaginal delivery under any other circumstances. I just know that I need to learn some breathing techniques and I need for DH to learn them too because quite honestly I forgot anything and everything I ever learned in the throws of labor last time.

I will do a tour of the hospital this time because we are using a different one and I have the Bradley method book and one called birthing from within on hold at the library. I guess I'll read tose and go from there!

How was the hypnobabies? The idea of it sounds good, but I'm not easily tranced ( or whatever word that is supposed to be!) I'd hate to spend a bunch of money and then find out its not for me.

March 30th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I usually do the hospital tour because all my kids have been born in different hospitals...this one too.

I took a birthing class with my first. It was fun but didn't really prepare me.

When I was pg with my third we took our older kids to a sibling class. They were 4 and 6. It was ridiculous how many people brought toddlers to it. They didn't understand anything and kinda disrupted the class. My kids had fun though and left with certificates which went in the baby's book.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search