update on me (and appt today....close one)

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2013, 07:33 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I haven't been posting much. My morning sickness has kicked it up a notch and gotten worse this last week. Sitting at a computer hasn't been a top priority. Went in for an OB appt this morning, its been 4 weeks since the last appt. I am suppose to be at 12 weeks 4 days. During my last appt the baby was 4 days behind but the doc was going to stick with my dates since it was so close.

So this morning the doctor was running over an hour behind due to a procedure he had done.. When he came in he did the Doppler to listen for a heartbeat....he didn't hear anything. Nothing. He tried for a while, still nothing. He looked very serious, stepped back, paused for a long time then said "well, everything should be ok, this does happen". I must have looked mortified because he then said "dont cry!". Since he was running late I dont think he wanted to take the time to do an u/s. I did NOT want to go through what so many ladies on here have gone through, waiting a week to two to find out the baby didn't make it. We sat there for a minute talking about it, I kept saying "Should be ok?? Should be?? I'm over 12 weeks, you heard a heartbeat last time, you SHOULD have time time". So he ended up having the nurse pull in the portable u/s while he went in to another patient room to check on another patient....we sat in our room for close to 10 minutes with all these thoughts going through my head....am I going to need a D & C?? Did we lose the baby? What happened? My husband kept saying, lets just see what he can see off the u/s.

Finally doc comes back in, does an external u/s....he heard a heartbeat!! HUGE relief!! Oh my goodness that was an excruciating longs 10 minutes! Baby's heart rate was 144 and now baby measures a week ahead! So in the last four weeks baby has grown, going from 4 days behind to a week ahead. Dang I about lost my cool at the appt. I was going to have an NT Scan next week but the baby is measuring too far ahead now. I also haven't gained a pound, guess this morning sickness has been doing a number on me. But as long as baby is healthy I'll gladly deal with the morning sickness!! So the new expected due date might be closer to Sept 30th....though both DH and my family have huge babies, I'm guessing that will more than likely be the case (I weighed 10 pounds 5 & 1/2 ounces ). Maybe this little buggers growth spurt this month accounts for my increase in m/s?
March 29th, 2013, 07:55 PM
angelaod's Avatar Regular
Congrats on your great appointment! I can only imagine how long that 10 minutes felt.
March 29th, 2013, 08:31 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
yay! congrats!

I understand that sometimes things come up, but I am put off that your doctor would half-*** an appointment that you looked forward to and paid for because of their office's scheduling issues. That is no bueno! I'm glad things worked out in the end, but it's just frustrating to hear that you sat and worried like that when the doctor couldn't spend 15 consecutive minutes with ya.
March 29th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
That sounds frustrating! I'm glad you finally got to hear the heartbeat. The further I get along, the sooner I'm due as well. Every time. lol The earlier u/s are usually the closest to your actual due dates. Genetics must take over after a few weeks. Some babies are 24" at full term, some are 18".
March 30th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad you got to see your little one.
A thing about the portable machines... They seem to be WAY out with measurements sometimes. With my last pregnancy they did an in-house scan & the baby was measuring a week & 1/2 ahead
Had my 12 week scan the next week & baby was measuring SPOT on. (So less then they had been the week before ) So I don't put alot of faith in the little portables for dating pregnancy.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
March 30th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Julie
I'm glad everything turned out well, but that doctor was wrong to rush things and try to get away with not investigating further when he didn't hear the HB. Hope it's better next time!

March 30th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad all is well with baby! I'm sure that was scary.
March 30th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad he didn't send you away with the stress and worry! During these early months before we feel consistent movement from baby we NEED the Doppler and u/s reassurance!
March 30th, 2013, 06:47 AM
AshleeH's Avatar Veteran
dont worry

(easier said then done right?!?!?!)

I heard the heartbeat at 14 weeks with my second and 11 weeks with my first--- I never expected to hear anything at 9 weeks and she barely caught the heartbeat--- but it registered on the monitor and she even said heartbeats are hard to catch sometimes but not to worry that next time it will be easier to hear.. she was at it for 5-10 min before she finally caught it ... I wasnt too worried.. I knew if she caught it great, if not next time-- i always blamed the extra apron flesh as the reason why it cant be heard...

But glad everything turned out well for you in the end

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 30th, 2013, 06:47 AM
AshleeH's Avatar Veteran
dont worry

(easier said then done right?!?!?!)

I heard the heartbeat at 14 weeks with my second and 11 weeks with my first--- I never expected to hear anything at 9 weeks and she barely caught the heartbeat--- but it registered on the monitor and she even said heartbeats are hard to catch sometimes but not to worry that next time it will be easier to hear.. she was at it for 5-10 min before she finally caught it ... I wasnt too worried.. I knew if she caught it great, if not next time-- i always blamed the extra apron flesh as the reason why it cant be heard...

But glad everything turned out well for you in the end

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 30th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am glad you put your foot down and got that ultrasound. Yay for a great appt otherwise

March 30th, 2013, 03:30 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Wonderful news!!!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

March 30th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Veteran
So glad they got out the u/s, no way would it be acceptable to make you wait a month for your next appointment not knowing everything is ok.

March 31st, 2013, 11:31 AM
Veteran
Yay for the good news! Boo on the doctor and the stress you had to go through!
March 31st, 2013, 12:20 PM
mamarazzi40's Avatar Veteran
Glad you left with the reassurance you needed!

I often wonder how my mom went through 3 pregnancies without any of those reassurances...I drive myself crazy somedays willing movement and anticipating the next dr appointment!
March 31st, 2013, 12:21 PM
mamarazzi40's Avatar Veteran

Last edited by mamarazzi40; March 31st, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
March 31st, 2013, 02:21 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That 10 minutes probably felt like hours! How nerve-wracking!!!

Glad everything worked out though and that your baby is doing well.
March 31st, 2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran
So happy everything turned out good I would of done a paddy too
April 1st, 2013, 04:19 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
whew, how scary. I am so glad it all turned out ok though.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 1st, 2013, 07:48 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ugh. I can only imagine how awful those 10 minutes were. wow. So, so glad things are alright! Looks like you've got a little bugger in there

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search