Costochondritis

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By soul_donut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2013, 12:01 AM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone else blessed with Costochondritis?

I had it with my last pg. It started around 16 weeks and went away pretty much after I delivered. This started slowly over the past few days... and now I have 2 ice packs on and planning on making some more so I have plenty in rotation. Going to schedule acupuncture for Tuesday--if it doesn't help, maybe I can convince myself it is better than meds that would actually help! Apparently, this is relatively common in pregnancy... but it sucks! I had it for the first time when I was 11 and off and on over the years, but treated it with anti-inflammatories.

March 31st, 2013, 12:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Two of my sisters have it. Sounds awful. I hope you don't have to deal with it too often.

March 31st, 2013, 12:33 AM
YoginiMomma's Avatar Veteran
have you tried turmeric and red cherry juice? and an anti-inflammatory diet will help. (former sports rehab massage therapist)

*"It is through the body we realize we are a spark of divinity"* ~ Iyengar

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 31st, 2013, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoginiMomma View Post
have you tried turmeric and red cherry juice? and an anti-inflammatory diet will help. (former sports rehab massage therapist)
Thanks! I was going to look up natural things tomorrow. I took a peek at turmeric and that is not recommended until the last few weeks of pregnancy, aside from turmeric as a seasoning in foods. The juice sounded good, but it is not recommended if you have certain foods allergies and one of them is a major one for me, so I will steer clear of that. Let me know if there are any others you think of!

March 31st, 2013, 05:32 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I suffered from it last year. I'm praying it doesn't flair up while pg!
March 31st, 2013, 06:33 AM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never had that, but it sounds absolutely awful! Sorry you have to deal with that while pregnant.

I have had rheumatoid arthritis most of my life, and to deal with the pain, I also use turmeric, cherry juice, and fresh pineapple. As far as the turmeric goes, there are TONS of health benefits to using it, and pregnant women around the world routinely cook with it. It's easily incorporated into my diet since I eat a lot of Indian food, but even while eating American style, I'll still manage to throw 1/2 tsp into a bowl of chili, soup, or whatever it is that I'm eating - in small quantities, it doesn't affect the flavor - you won't even know it's there.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you find some relief from this.
March 31st, 2013, 08:43 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
No, not yet. It sounds painful - wishing you feel better soon!

When I first saw your post I thought it would be an aversion to Costco or something.
~*Nicole*~ likes this.
March 31st, 2013, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
No, not yet. It sounds painful - wishing you feel better soon!

When I first saw your post I thought it would be an aversion to Costco or something.
Well... technically, it is. I get to have someone go with me to let the heavy things! There is a Costco less than a mile from me, but my dad will be more than happy to meet me there and help, especially if I go on a day that has samples!

It is awful... but I didn't have morning sickness, so I guess this is my punishment! For some reason it is worse in the evenings/night, so I'm fine all day or just have a little discomfort. I read that some people got some relief with a well-fitting bra (I went from a B-cup to a DD, so definitely added weight there).

I will look into turmeric some more. Looking forward to acupuncture though. I'm so relaxed when I'm done and I'm going to make arrangements so my DD gets dropped off after I have a little rest.

March 31st, 2013, 01:13 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I hope you heal quickly! I got Shingles right around conception (I think when my immune system suppressed itself), it wrapped around my back under the armpit and across my breast. Chest pain is awful! Especially while growing pregnancy boobs. I do feel for you!

March 31st, 2013, 05:10 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Having Fibromyalgia, Costochondritis goes hand & hand with it unfortunately It's not too bad for me yet, but it will get there. You have my sympathy. It's not fun!

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3, DD November 2013
March 31st, 2013, 06:34 PM
Julie
Never had it, but I hope you are able to find some relief!

March 31st, 2013, 08:25 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had sharp pains on the left side of my chest off and on since I was a kid. Generally flares up only a few times a year so I've never been to a doctor and have no idea what it is. But the pain has been getting bad the last few weeks, its a sharp stabbing pain that gets intense when I take a deep breath. I had never heard of Costochondritis but just googled it when I read your post, it really describes the pain I've been having. Eesh.
March 31st, 2013, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraWinter View Post
I've had sharp pains on the left side of my chest off and on since I was a kid. Generally flares up only a few times a year so I've never been to a doctor and have no idea what it is. But the pain has been getting bad the last few weeks, its a sharp stabbing pain that gets intense when I take a deep breath. I had never heard of Costochondritis but just googled it when I read your post, it really describes the pain I've been having. Eesh.
When you're not pregnant, ibuprofen knocks it out relatively quickly. If you have it now... Good luck. Ice helps me now. Heat sometimes feels good, doesn't help the inflammation as much, but whatever feels good is what I do. Makes up some ice packs of 1 part rubbing alcohol and 3 parts water. Put in a ziploc bag and then put in another bag (to prevent leaks). They feel good because they don't freeze completely and you can get it positioned just right--it is slushy.

April 1st, 2013, 05:17 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Oh you poor ladies with this. I hope you can get some relief soon.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search