I told my mom (kind of long)

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 07:50 AM
karmaissotrue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to karmaissotrue Send a message via Yahoo to karmaissotrue
I broke the news to my mother yesterday & needless to say she wasn't thrilled. I was expecting it though.... my mother is a only child and tends to be selfish when it comes to certain things. She helps out so much with my DS & I really appreciate everything she does for us, but this was a choice she couldn't control. My mother is a planner & worry wart, she worries about everything and God forbid the starts aren't exactly lined up correctly it's a problem.

Once I told her she automatically became negative and said she doesn't understand how an infant is suppose to fit into our & her daily life. She does transport my DS back and forth to school and gets him dressed in the AM, but the baby would be coming with me in the AM to the same babysitter that watched my DS for two years. She does help out finaically with daycare for DS but next year we're putting him in a half of day program costing less than half of what we pay now (so I won't be needing her help for that anymore). I plan on BF'ing and using disposable diapers to help cut the cost of things. DH & I know it will be hard but we're willing to do whatever to expand our family. My brother & I are 12 yrs apart so she doesn't understand that I want my kids to grow up together and have one another. She told me awhile back when I mentioned TTC to her that I should just be thankful and be happy with one child. ...I told her then that she wasn't in charge of my uterus and decisions I made regarding my family

Anyway, her response once I broke the news to her was I don't want to talk about it & she left it at that...so whatever

THANKS SO MUCH KILIKI FOR THE WONDERFUL SIGGY
April 1st, 2013, 08:00 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
I am so sorry things went bad. I understand that moms worry, but I could never understand how a mother could be so negative about a grandchild.
April 1st, 2013, 08:32 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
That seems pretty selfish - ultimately it's not her decision. She may have points but it sounds like you've addressed the logistical part of having another child. So, try and get past it and vent here any time!
April 1st, 2013, 08:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow so sorry your mom is being so negative about it. Sometimes people just don't think before they react! I bet she is going to love on the baby when he/she arrives, but that will never take back her poor reaction and the hurt she caused you now Vent here as often as you need to

April 1st, 2013, 08:58 AM
Send a message via AIM to karmaissotrue Send a message via Yahoo to karmaissotrue
Thanks ladies....I've just decided not to bring it up anymore....hopefully she'll come around, especially once I start to show. We talked for a little bit today on my lunch...its definitely tension on her part I can hear it all in her voice ....so we just talked about small things

April 1st, 2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran
Sorry you didn't get a positivve reaction. Hope she gets more excited as October gets closer!

April 1st, 2013, 09:35 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hopefully she comes around as she warms up to the idea. Everyone loves babies!

April 1st, 2013, 09:40 AM
Miss Bliss's Avatar Veteran
Wow. Im sorry. I can't imagine that. I would be upset if anyone wasnt supportive. Good for you for keeping apositive attitude!

April 1st, 2013, 10:18 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry.
April 1st, 2013, 10:33 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sucks I'm sorry she wasn't supportive. I'm sure she will come around once she holds that precious baby. My mom was supportive of us having another kid, but she wants lots of grandkids. My mom would totally say a similar response to what your mom said for other situations though. My mom loves the silent treatment when she gets mad!

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 1st, 2013, 10:46 AM
Julie
I'm sorry it didn't go well. I will be dealing with disappointment as well when I tell my mother and sister.

April 1st, 2013, 10:53 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I went through the same thing with my grandmother. It was about a month ago and now she is much better about it. She has even gotten to the point of not wanting me to do too much because she is afraid I will hurt the baby. I am sure your mom will come around after the shock (for her) wears off. I am sorry she was so poopy in the beginning about it though.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 1st, 2013, 10:57 AM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you got such a negative response. Just remember, her selfish response is precisely why you dont want an only child! My parents had my brothers and I close together, and I've always been glad they did.
April 1st, 2013, 12:33 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I'm so sorry you got that reaction ((hugs))
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 10mo 10/10/13

April 1st, 2013, 12:42 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
I'm sorry your mom reacted that way my mom has reacted negatively to every one of my pregnancies, so I know how frustrating it is

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

April 1st, 2013, 02:51 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry she was so negative. I hope she comes around soon, but you did make me laugh with the 'your not in charge of my uterus" comment.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

April 1st, 2013, 05:48 PM
Leah
That sucks. Surely if she had concerns there'd be a way to say so without peeing in your Wheaties. SierraWinter had a fabulous point - that selfishness is precisely what you don't want. You're trying to give your family more than what you've had. I hope she doesn't cause too much grief. I think you're right to try and whatever it. She could come around so no point stressing now.

BTW, your son is frigging fragging adorable.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 1st, 2013, 05:59 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry she's not more supportive. I hope you have more people who are. I also hope she comes around when the baby is born and falls completely in love. Nothing will take away her negitive reaction, but hopefully, she'll change her tune. I agree, vent as much as you want to about it. We're all here to listen and support you.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 1st, 2013, 07:50 PM
chachartier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sorry your mom is being so negative. I worry a little about my mom's response because I deliberately got pregnant at a time when I knew I wouldn't be able to stay home for more than a few weeks but my husband and I also want our kids to grow up close in age and we didn't want to put our family on hold just because I will have almost a year left before my doctorate is finished when the baby gets here. I hope to be able to just work part-time once I finish my degree so I can be home with the kids more then. Hopefully your mom will come around!

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 2nd, 2013, 05:42 AM
Thanks ladies for all your support, it really means a lot.We were able to talk more yesterday when I got home from work and she was more open to the idea. She's not over the moon, joy, joy happy but she at least asked me when I was due. She also said she knew because my lips look different, and my face is filling out

The tension is better but its still there. I do feel better that I can relax and not hide my little bump under huge hoodies anymore

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search