OT- but this has me very on edge

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 09:25 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
My kids are on spring break this week and Tristen is allowed to stay home alone since he is 12 years old and my grandma lives so close to us that we can see in each others living room windows. we have had a problem the past few days with a person calling my house looking for a little girl named Kristen, I think this guy thinks my 12 year old son is a 12 year old girl named Kristen instead of Tristen. Widget and I have both gone off on this guy on the phone and threatened to call the cops on him. He barely speaks any english and he sounds like he is about 30 years old. he told us that he looked up our address on google maps and knows where we live just by our phone number. Tristen said that the first time he called the house was to try to sell us car insurance and Tristen was the only one in the house. I was outside bringing groceries in. He told the guy that he was only 12 years old and didn't have a car and that his mom was outside at the moment and couldn't come to the phone. Since then the guy has called back about 6 or 7 times to talk to tristen. When I answered the phone on Friday he asked who I was and I told him I am the owner of the house and I asked him what his name was. He said it was Otter or something like that, I couldn't understand his accent very well. He wanted to know where Tristen was and got very rude with me when I wouldn't allow him to talk to Tristen. He even called back later that day and had a woman ask for Tristen and then he got on the phone. It has us all scared, especially Tristen. My grandmother lives about 50 feet away from us and she is keeping an eye on the house for us while we are not home, but she is 80 years old and if someone wants to take the kids from her house then she wouldn't be very much help. I told Tristen to keep the doors locked, not to answer the phone unless it is me or daddy and to keep our dog in the house with him at all times. We have a full grown pit bull that loves my kids to death. He was raised by Logan since he was 6 weeks old and my kids are like his babies.That helps a little bit on my nerves, but it still has me scared to death.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 1st, 2013, 09:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow what a creep!! I'd be scared as well...Is he calling from a specific number? Can you block that number by calling you phone company? Also definitely tell your son not to answer the door to anyone by you guys or your grandmother. Ugh...you don't this added stress while being pregnant!

April 1st, 2013, 09:34 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
He has called from 2 different phone numbers so far. He is seriously calling like every couple of hours though. He didn't call yesterday at all, which really makes me think he is calling from a business and they were closed for Easter. It also sounded like a place of business when I talked to him because I could hear people in the background like it was some type of call center or something.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
April 1st, 2013, 09:40 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
That is scary. I'd have already called the cops. They'd probably do something. Even if it was setting up a "meeting" with the guy so they could arrest him. That's how an old neighbor of mine ended up in prison. Cops pretended to be a 15 year old girl online. That man was mentally retarded, the product of a father and daughter, but he still went to prison for it. Not trying to defend him, but I thought the sentence was harsh for a man that was clearly "special."

Someone tried to take our oldest daughter from our yard a few months ago. Pulled up beside her, opened their car door, and tried to get her to come to the car. Little did he know Miss Autism doesn't even come to us when we call most of the time. I was right there, and when he saw me he drove off. Cops were looking for him not 3 minutes later.

He tried again the following day with another local child. A man down the road stopped by to warn us about the child predator. I asked if they called the cops when they witnessed this, and they hadn't. They just told neighbors. I was so MAD. I wasn't able to get the man's license, but they had a perfect view of it! WHY they didn't call the cops, I'll never know. Haven't seen him since. I hope they got him.

Anyway, call the cops! Report all the calls, tell them everything he said! You don't want to call when it's too late.
April 1st, 2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks, I think I will call when I get home. I don't have the number to give them here at work. the phone number is from a town about 3 hours from my house. It doesn't give a name, just a city and a phone number.

How scary about your daughter. My mom said something similar happened to me when I was little, but I don't remember it. A car pulled up beside me in our front yard and was talking to me. I was only 6 at the time. They drove off when she came around the corner.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
April 1st, 2013, 10:01 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow that's so creepy and scary!! I would definitely report it as well, you never know!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 1st, 2013, 10:03 AM
Leah
I'd definitely call the cops. And next time he calls bluff him out and tell him straight up he is harassing a child and that you've contacted the police and they tend to put people like that in prison. I'd also say that you have taken down all the numbers he has called from and you will be contacting a lawyer about the harassment and will be looking to hold the company liable.

I don't think you're risking anything by saying your son's age; if he's a creep looking for a kid, he already knows. If by chance he's confused, it may shut him up. If it's a business they may be recording the calls, so definitely play the legal angle.

I'd also call those numbers back. It may be (if he's a creeper) that he's using a pay phone or borrowing one. If it's a legitimate business, they may be able to give info. If not, again play up the liability aspect. If these businesses are allowing it after being made aware, they're facilitating it.

Always take the name of every single person and document every time down to the minute.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 1st, 2013, 10:05 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Call the cops! that sounds awful. Try and get a call log and all the info you can about this person. Best of luck - they need to be visited by the police PRONTO!
April 1st, 2013, 10:10 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd call the cops too.

Keep us posted.
April 1st, 2013, 10:12 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would also call the cops. I would tell them everything, give them the numbers that the guy has called from, and ask them to check on the house, even if just driving by when cruising neighborhoods, to make sure Tristen is okay. Also if you have neighborhood watch, I'd alert them as well. But the cops need to know this is happening, and can help keep your family safe.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys, I will call the cops when I get home from work today and can look back at my caller ID.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
April 1st, 2013, 10:28 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have called the cops after the first blatantly creepy call! The cops can trace the number and do their thing. This is so scary! My kids are 10 and 7 and they are never left home along - I am too paranoid. But at 12-13, it seems like you should be able to keep your kid at home, but gosh there are some sickos in this world
jamieshalon2 likes this.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 1st, 2013, 10:51 AM
Tristen will be 13 this year and he begged me because all of his friends get to stay home alone. I only agreed because my grandma is so close and she is home all day. Honestly she could probably hear him yell she is so close. Plus I know that our doggie in the house would deter most people from entering. No one knows by looking at him how docile he really is, but I suspect that if one of his "kids" was being threatened we would see a totally different side of him.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
April 1st, 2013, 11:22 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At 13, a kid should be able to stay home alone. I was baby sittting at 11-12! My 10 year old wants to stay home alone sometimes, but that will not happen. I am just too paranoid. Plus she is a young 10. I think parents just have to evaluate the situation. We live next door to a cop and our other neighbors are home a lot and we live in a safe neighborhood. BUT last week, 15 minutes from our house, in our old neighborhood, a 10 year old girl was abducted from her room int he middle of the night and you can imagine the rest. Luckily she was found alive It's those what ifs that freak me out. Sometimes I feel like I am being too over protective, but I would rather err on the side of caution. I mean, I do live in Los Angeles, lol. I won't even let my kids play in the front yard without supervision. It sucks cause I had such a free childhood - but it was a little too free and more supervision would have been appreciated.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 1st, 2013, 11:28 AM
Oh man that is so scary about that little girl. I tend to be paranoid too. I know when I was 14/15 I was spending the night alone. My mom was a nurse and she worked swing shifts from 7 pm till 7 am and I just had a friend stay with me for the night, but this was also in the early 1990's. I think a lot was different back then. Plus I live in a very small town. Everyone pretty much knows everyone. I have a bunch of close neighbors too and they all know and love my kids.
I think Tristen is very mature for his age. He knows right from wrong when dealing with people on the phone, coming to the door, etc. He never gets in trouble at home, he is a huge help with his little brother who is 5. I think he was/is mentally ready to take care of himself for small amounts of time.
WorkerBeeMama likes this.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
April 1st, 2013, 02:53 PM
Julie
Wow, very creepy, hope it gets resolved soon.

April 1st, 2013, 03:04 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Let us know what the police say, I hope he stops calling.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

April 1st, 2013, 05:09 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
Wow. The police can definitely do something. If he is calling more than five times a day, it IS considered harassment. Not to mention the fact that they are attempting to contact a child. You could attempt to look up the number online to see if its associated with a business. If so, you might be able to get a least a little bit of information from them, but most likely the police could do this is they are willing to pull your phone records. To me, this sounds serious enough that I think they would.
April 1st, 2013, 05:22 PM
Leah
If all else fails, post the numbers on Craig's List.

That could be a joke.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 1st, 2013, 06:31 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sounds super creepy. I agree, call law-enforcement. I'll say an extra prayer for your son and your family tonight.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search