Nursery items

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By soul_donut
  • 1 Post By jennyrae03
  • 1 Post By *Lana*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 01:50 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy crackers, nursery furniture is expensive!!!

I started looking online, trying to get an idea of what we want...I feel like I'm going to spend 3 grand on the darn nursery! Sheesh.
April 1st, 2013, 02:21 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Girrrlll don't waste your time on those sites (pottery barn etc). I'd be willing to bet they all use particle board, too. Ikea surprisingly uses wood in its cribs and they cost about a hundred bucks.

My plan:
thrifted dresser under 50 bucks (i have months to find it, after all) that I'll paint, depending on my mood either white, or ombre - love ombre!
ikea crib ($160+tax all in)
target sheets (they're cute! and if the baby poops them up I can easily replace!) so let's say, 50 bucks on bedding including the replacements
rug to cover up the brand new wall to wall carpet I bought in cream because I'm an idiot, 150-200 bucks on overstock.com
fabric for curtains or curtains - budgeting about 100 bucks, maybe an extra 20-35 for hardware
decorations and crazy crap - let's say 100 between etsy, online and thrift, and DIY
---------
$660

Let's say I go CRAZY and buy a glider at Ikea - let's throw in another 150 bucks since I'll probably want white and will cover it up with a crocheted blanket. And even crazier and order pillows from etsy for the built in - 100 bucks. That's still under 1000 And like I said, that's if you're getting loco! I do interior design and am very thrifty and resourceful, but with sites like pinterest, really anybody can get the scoop on how to make something on the cheap!

Set a budget, and then work backward. If you want the look for less (since baby is really just going to drool and poo on everything you buy, anyway) there will be something out there for you and chances are someone here has already found it!
April 1st, 2013, 02:39 PM
See, this is why I consult you gals. You keep me from going crazy and broke. We don't have an ikea here, but there is one by the Mall of America, so maybe I will just have to take a shopping trip! It's like four hour drive for me.

And I do love etsy...I bought a lot of stuff from there for my wedding (or found it there and made it myself).
April 1st, 2013, 02:47 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Walmart has some good crib options that are similar to the modern cribs that cost about $1000 but they only cost about 2-3 hundred.

Or we might go with one of those vintage looking jenny lind cribs.

Also, craigslist is a good place to find quality second hand items. We are probably going to buy the dresser from there.

You don't need a changing table, but can always turn any dresser into one yourself.

If you get non-toxic low voc paint you can paint yourself (I've done it before but won't be doing it this time).

Also, don't forget to register register register!!! I plan on having my baby shower(s) early on about 2 months early so that I can have everything ready, etc.

And yes, pinterest and apartment therapy are awesome resources for inspiration!

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 1st, 2013, 04:54 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
All these ladies have some great ideas! We have a brand new crib still in the box given to us by our neighbors. They found out we were expecting and just gave it to us, but were planning on putting it on Craigslist for 50 bucks!!

I LOVE refinishing furniture! You can find some great older pieces for next to nothing on craigslist and thrift stores that are solid wood. You can sand and stain or repaint something to make it look brand new!

Also, I know someone mentioned Ikea, and they carry a natural wood finish dresser for about 100 dollars that you could paint or modge podge the drawers or just seal. Check out crafster, or pinterest for some inspiration! Just try not to go crazy worrying about buying all this super expensive stuff!
April 1st, 2013, 05:22 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, everything Melissa said!

I'll also be thrifting/craigslisting a dresser which will also double as a changing table. I plan on refinishing it white. I also love refinishing furniture. I have an upright dresser in my garage that I've just been waiting to get to 2nd tri and warm weather being doing it.

For a crib, I'll also be craigslisting it. If I can't find a white one I'll just buy one from Target/Walmart for $100-150. I don't want to refinishing a crib because it would just scare me when baby starts chewing on the sides.... so unless I can find a safe way to refinish a crib I'll just stick with Target/Walmart.

I'm also up in the air about a glider. I'd like to have one, but it'll just depend if we have the $$. I have a wooden rocking chair from my grandmother, but the arm broke. So I can probably fix it for cheaper than buying a new one.

I will be buying white sheets and making the crib skirt, quilt, curtains etc. myself.

When we get closer we must share our projects! I'd love to see them!

April 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM
I wish I were craftier...I really am not a very hands-on person when it comes to that stuff. I wish we all lived closer together, then we could have awesome baby furniture crafting parties! Haha
Irshtripletsmommy likes this.
April 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would totally come to the baby crafting parties!! Where are you from in Iowa? My husband and I lived in Cedar Rapids and went to Iowa state before moving to Ohio.

I second the ikea visit- make a little trip out of it. Their stuff is cool and not too expensive. I would love to thrift everything, but I don't think we are going to find out the sex....which makes it harder to decorate!

April 1st, 2013, 06:01 PM
I just looked at Ikea's cribs. I really like their $99 one. And with shipping it's only $140. We don't live near an Ikea. We are getting one 3 hours away next year though. Unless.... I have my mom bring it out when she comes to see me when the baby is born?? Hmmm...

April 1st, 2013, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHoot View Post
I would totally come to the baby crafting parties!! Where are you from in Iowa? My husband and I lived in Cedar Rapids and went to Iowa state before moving to Ohio.
Just a few miles North of Marshalltown...are you familiar with it? 30 miles east of Ames.

Christine, are you talking about the white one with the scalloped looking edges? I really like that one...also thought about having it shipped.
April 1st, 2013, 06:34 PM
Leah
I'm definitely waiting to check IKEA and thrift stores before deciding on anything. I don't want a matchy matchy set anyway. I did wander into Babies R Us and was surprised that they had several options that weren't badly priced. My only dilemma is whether I go with a convertible or not - most of theirs go from crib to toddler bed to twin and or daybed. I'd really have to love it though.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 1st, 2013, 06:48 PM
Yep, I was looking at that exact one, Jenny.

I just know I want white for all furniture, which should be pretty easy to get a hold of for cheap(er).

April 1st, 2013, 07:48 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by QL1516 View Post
I'm definitely waiting to check IKEA and thrift stores before deciding on anything. I don't want a matchy matchy set anyway. I did wander into Babies R Us and was surprised that they had several options that weren't badly priced. My only dilemma is whether I go with a convertible or not - most of theirs go from crib to toddler bed to twin and or daybed. I'd really have to love it though.
Not sure about all if them but the modern one I looked at from ikea was convertible! Bonus!
April 1st, 2013, 08:08 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Before you decide on a set, think about what you plan to do for a bed once the child is out of the crib. I was only going to get her a twin size bed when she was bigger as her current room is the smallest one, so I didn't waste money getting a lifetime crib that converts into a full size bed. I can think of maybe one person I know that actually used it for more than a few years after it was converted into a full size bed. Many switched to twin beds or the kid's room was redecorated and they got new furniture.
Same for dressers. A lot of the sets are shown with the high dresser and the low dresser. A lot of people put a changing pad on the low dressers and don't bother with changing tables--if you have an active child you get less than a year out of the changing table, sometimes less.
fancypants27 likes this.

April 2nd, 2013, 04:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been checking Craigslist daily for a bassinet and I keep seeing cribs on there. If I didn't already have one I'd buy one from there and splurge on a good mattress.
April 2nd, 2013, 05:41 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We already have a crib, changing table and glider from my kids.
I've been checking Craigslist for a cradle swing, and the snap and go stroller thing.
I do plan to buy my carseat new since our infant one expired.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search