Almost had a stroke at the doctor's office

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Due to a brief period of severe nausea and vomiting, it was decided that I should come in a couple of days early to rule out dehydration (I was dehydrated with an elevated pulse, spilling ketones into my urine) - no problem, she wrote me a script for zofran; the problem is that this was a midwife with about 30 years of experience and she couldn't find the heartbeat. After about 10 minutes of digging around and one near mini-stroke later, she did a pelvic exam which explained it all...My uterus is higher up and a little more towards the back, so she had to look for the heartbeat up near my belly button and she really had to dig in there - it was in the 150s. *sigh*

The only bright side to this is that I am 100% sure that I'm feeling movement on an almost daily basis...I only ever doubted that's what it was because it was up so high. One secondary thought: If she can't find my uterus, why does my stomach look like this? lol
April 3rd, 2013, 02:42 PM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
I would have died if I was in your shoes! But glad everything is good what does the movement feel like? I haven't ever felt it so I was jw

April 3rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Quote:
I would have died if I was in your shoes!
Trust me, I almost did! They should keep some epi and paddles right next to that exam table!!! LOL

The movement almost feels like gas rumbling around, but it sort of stays in one place instead of going everywhere. Sometimes it feels like popcorn lightly popping in there. It's kind of hard to describe, but it's one of those things that you'll feel, wonder if that's really it, then you'll start noticing the same feeling more often and it will keep getting stronger. This is my favorite part of pregnancy.

If this is your first, it may take you a little longer, so hang tight - I didn't feel it with my first until 20 weeks, and probably am only feeling it early now because my uterus is baggy from having 2 other children.
CountryMedic911 likes this.
April 3rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, pshhhhhhhh about the baggy uterus I'm sure your uterus is just fine and it's that you know what to look for now. I'm sorry to hear that she couldn't find baby's heartbeat right away. That sounds terrifying. I'm glad she finally did though! 150 huh? I want to take a guess and say boy but I'm probably wrong lol I was reading about old wives tales and apparently there IS some truth to the h/r myth, but there's a catch. According to the article I read, the heart rate can change a lot until later on in pregnancy. From around 28 weeks on, THAT is when the high for a girl thing and low for a boy applies and by then we've got a pretty good idea about gender so...that's what my nonsense research shows.
I'm glad you finally got to hear baby's heart rate I seriously would have been freaking out.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
Thanks! I'll do my best not to freak out until 20 weeks lol
Dolly Lama likes this.

April 3rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
Julie
Wow, I would have been crying hysterically. I am so relieved all turned out OK
Dolly Lama likes this.

April 3rd, 2013, 03:38 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad she found it after, I've felt that panic before with my last pregnany it sucks!!

Hmm I wonder if my uterus is high lol i've got a full big belly now, weird.
Dolly Lama likes this.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 3rd, 2013, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Oh, pshhhhhhhh about the baggy uterus
You of all people should know how it is! You know with that first baby everything is all nice and tight, then with each one thereafter, it all hangs out there more quickly each time... With my first, no one could even tell I was pregnant until at least 7 months along. People close to me were asking if I was sure I was even pregnant! Now here I am about 15 weeks along with my third and I have a belly. I'm going to blame it on a saggy uterus and the hormone relaxin.

And for the record, I have felt like this was a boy from day one. We shall see in about another 2 weeks.
April 3rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Ugh, that was my last pregnancy. It took them 15 minutes minimum to find the heartbeat each time, always by the belly button. They never start there, oh, no. They have to try everywhere else first!

This one normally hangs out a little bellow it. =)
Dolly Lama likes this.
April 3rd, 2013, 04:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Like stretched out pantyhose
April 3rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
t took them 15 minutes minimum to find the heartbeat each time, always by the belly button. They never start there, oh, no. They have to try everywhere else first!
Where is it supposed to be at this point? Shouldn't it be somewhere up there or are we just weirdos? The midwife was originally looking way down where my hairline should be, then slightly above it.

Quote:
Like stretched out pantyhose
Bingo!!! lol
April 3rd, 2013, 04:09 PM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
You are still nauseous??! Wahhh. I'll be 13 weeks tomorrow and it's still going strong. I was hoping everyone would be feeling awesome by 15 weeks!

Anyway, I'm glad everything turned out good for you!!

April 3rd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Quote:
You are still nauseous??!
Not really. The MS has gone WAY down - now I'm only left with mild nausea and occasional vomiting. I think I got hit with some sort of stomach bug where for several days I was unable to keep even fluids down. Whatever it was, it's pretty much gone now, so that's that.

I hope you feel amazing by 15 weeks!
April 3rd, 2013, 04:22 PM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
Phew! haha BTW, I live about 45 mins north of Bmore!

I hope I feel awesome too! I'm losing faith though.

April 3rd, 2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Phew! haha BTW, I live about 45 mins north of Bmore!
I'm north of Baltimore A LOT! Are you comfortable saying what town you are in?

Quote:
I hope I feel awesome too! I'm losing faith though.
Hang in there, girlfriend - it will probably ease up soon. At its worst, it felt like it would never end - I was gagging and puking all the time! There were days I couldn't even get off of the couch because I felt so horrible. It's so much better now...I really do hope that you feel better soon.
April 3rd, 2013, 04:43 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad to hear they were eventually able to find the HB.

With baby no.4, later in the pregnancy they were not able to find the HB with me with the hand held doppler, (doppler was actually broken, they just didn't know at the time.) I probably would have been having kittens, except DS was frantically kicking at the doppler the whole time
Dolly Lama likes this.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
April 3rd, 2013, 05:24 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly Lama View Post
You of all people should know how it is! You know with that first baby everything is all nice and tight, then with each one thereafter, it all hangs out there more quickly each time... With my first, no one could even tell I was pregnant until at least 7 months along. People close to me were asking if I was sure I was even pregnant! Now here I am about 15 weeks along with my third and I have a belly. I'm going to blame it on a saggy uterus and the hormone relaxin.

And for the record, I have felt like this was a boy from day one. We shall see in about another 2 weeks.
Okay, okay. I've got the "pouch" as I call it. I just like to claim it's from 3 c-sections I don't like the term "saggy uterus" for some reason even if it is true. It reminds me of a bull dog's jawls and we're definitely not dogs! I think that's why I'm defending our uteruses so fiercely lol

I definitely am sending you open leg vibes for your anatomy scan <-- Does that count as open leg vibe dust? I hope so....
Dolly Lama likes this.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 3rd, 2013, 05:30 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sooo glad they found baby's heartbeat!!
April 3rd, 2013, 05:45 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
So glad it all worked out great!

I am on #5 I'm HUGE and my uterus is super high but I am tiny so I get big every time but not his big lol
5 time HG survivor , AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 9mo 10/10/13

April 3rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I'm pg with #4 and my stomach is huge this pg. I had some flab there before, but c'mon. I pretty much couldn't suck it in anymore after like 5w.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13) -2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22" born sleeping
at 39w pg due to thrombophelia; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) - 3VBA2C 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Praying for our rainbow baby coming in March!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search