OT - dog in waiting room vent!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Allisonjuly
  • 2 Post By soul_donut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 07:57 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I waited in traffic for an hour and a half to get to a service appointment at the Volvo dealership, and now that I'm here, there is a family with a dog in the small waiting room. A family who is sitting all over the furniture like it's in their living room (legs draped over arms, etc) and they have the most GIANT DOG IN THE WORLD. It's skinny like a greyhound face but with lots of fur, but it's gigantic. And gets in everybody's FACE. And the dog owner has so many stupid canned dog jokes that he keeps saying and when the dog wants to smell people he makes BBQ jokes. The guy is talking to everybody (though everybody has their heads buried in magazines and cellphones) in the voice of the dog, talking about the Florida wildlife he's going to chase. He is engaging with people who are disinterested in his dog ("Everybody keeps asking about you, dog!" and no one is talking). I will lose it if that dog comes that close to me - I don't trust dogs that I don't know, especially when they are physically larger than me. I can't believe they'd let a dog like that in a closed room - what if the other customers were allergic? Definitely not coming back here again - I'll drive to the one in South Florida and make a weekend of it!

Vent over..

PS: 98* is on the Today show - hahahaha
April 4th, 2013, 08:07 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My initial reaction is, why would someone bring their dog to a waiting room of a car dealership? Let alone a GIANT dog?! Can you complain to management? Use the arguements of it being unsanitary and causing a potential lawsuit because someone could be allergic. This is going to sound really mean and I swear I love dogs, but WHY DO PEOPLE BRING THEIR DOGS EVERYWHERE ANYWAY!? What happened to the days when dogs stayed in the house while you went out? They were considered "house pets." OH YES! Paris Hilton and all the other prop dog owners. It truly iritates me. I wish you the best of luck and am sending tons of patience dust your way cause it sounds like you could use it with annoying people like that.

PS- You're a better person than I, because I'm not sure I would be able to keep quiet.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 4th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't have a dog but I know dogs are like kids to most people.
fancypants27 likes this.
April 4th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Lol, that may be true but would you let your kid jump on strangers and sniff their faces? NOPE! Doggies stay home! I like doggies at outdoor restaurants, on a leash minding their business. I don't like them in places where I feel cornered. I have a friend that was attacked by a "friendly" dog and had to get reconstructive surgeries every other year of her life for a long time on her arm and it still has a giant chew mark in it. I don't trust your big dog, people!
Lotsakids and FishermansWife4 like this.
April 4th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to swozze3 Send a message via Yahoo to swozze3
Our puppy is a large puppy. he's 4 months old and weighs 52#'s already. Our puppy is a house pet but I wouldn't take him somewhere like that. When we do take him with us places we leave him in our SUV with the windows down or someone stays with him with the back end open for air

April 4th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Veteran
I'm dog person but there are a LOT of places a dog does NOT need to go. It's ok to leave your dog at home!

April 4th, 2013, 09:42 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Nah, I wouldn't take our dog anywhere. First off, he hates car rides, plus I don't want him exposed to all the germs that are everywhere. Maybe I am just funny like that. Plus I understand that not everyone likes dogs and I don't want to make others feel uncomfortable.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 4th, 2013, 10:29 AM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last year I was helping a girlfriend relocate from New Orleans back to Cali (since she had a newborn). Her car broke down while we were already on the road, loaded up, with a newborn, a cat and a dog (it was almost comical it was so awful). We went to a dealership to get the car fixed. Her dog is well over 100 pounds and it was hot and humid. She stayed outside with the dog and cat and I went into the lobby with her baby. We didn't even consider asking to take the animals into the lobby. And she and I are both dog lovers. Stupid people are annoying.
April 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is obnoxious!

I was once in a waiting room at a doctor's office and this little girl was being very chatty and talking to everyone and going up to them and she was no older than three and this one B!tch int he waiting room basically told her to go away and leave her alone. I was so shocked! I mean the girl was a little annoying, but it's a KID! Be nice!

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 4th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Julie
I am not a dog person so that would have really bothered me too.

April 4th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkerBeeMama View Post
That is obnoxious!

I was once in a waiting room at a doctor's office and this little girl was being very chatty and talking to everyone and going up to them and she was no older than three and this one B!tch int he waiting room basically told her to go away and leave her alone. I was so shocked! I mean the girl was a little annoying, but it's a KID! Be nice!
That is harsh.. but what if she was there because she just found out she had cancer or something? I tend to be in the leave me alone camp in waiting areas, especially doctor's offices - I don't want to catch anything, yo!

I hope Mr. Talks in his giant dog's voice thought I was a b!tch because I pulled my legs away when his dog lumbered over in my direction! Because I am! haha.
April 4th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
The problem is the complete lack of consideration and courtesy for others. Nothing makes me more mad. Some people are so allergic to dogs they can't breathe, and even though I have a dog of my own, I don't want some huge dog jumping up on me or humping my leg or whatever. What if that dog jumped up on the lap of someone holding an infant and injured the baby? I would be angry as a business owner if I knew someone allowed that situation to occur.You are in a small enclosed place, and nobody in that room is happy to be there... they're shucking out money to fix their broken car.
April 4th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
She isn't necessarily a b*tch. What if she was in the process of a miscarriage? Or like someone else said, had just found out she had cancer, or even just really sick. I try really hard not to judge others. Especially if I do not know their situation.

As for the dog, that is not on IMO. You couldn't do that here in Australia anyways, but like you I would have been seriously frustrated.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
April 4th, 2013, 06:23 PM
"Shay-see"
I dunno - I'm sort of glad people are integrating dogs into their lives more since when you leave them at home they get pretty stressed out - but the unspoken social contract here is that if you take your dog out into the world, it can't be other people's problem. That means you have it well-trained and not approaching people uninvited (dogs should not approach, they should be approached) and obvs if someone is allergic you suck it up and take your dog somewhere else.

That's a pretty bogus situation, Donut, and I would totally complain. There's no reason you should have to be the one driving way far out of your way.

...besides the likelihood of there being another poorly trained (sounds like an irish wolfhound?) in the waiting room next time is pretty low. *shrug*
April 5th, 2013, 06:28 AM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im a dog lover and have 2 110lbs dogs. I would never put myself or my dogs in a position where they wpuld be invading someone elses space. Even at the vets office, if I can tell someone is nervous because of my dogs (rottie and dogo argentino), we will wait outside.. I personally have no problems with a dog running up to me, jumping, sniffing my crotch... but other people do. A car stealership is not the place for a dog!

You should have said something to the service manager.

On a side note...the misbehaving kids would have ticked me off more. Lol

April 5th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I did end up talking to the service manager... I was there 1.5 hours longer than they said I would be (which to a pregnant hungry person is not good), one of the issues I brought up was worse than when I dropped off the car, they hadn't cleaned it when they were done, and they charged me for something that should have been free. We are not going there for a zillion new reasons, beyond that doggie problem! Oh well! We picked a reliable car with a not so reliable local dealership - I'm going to integrate the car repairs into trips to Miami. Wins for everybody! Except the car dealership because I will get the survey and roast them up.

About having dogs in public - I am totally cool with dogs as long as they do their thing and stay out of my zones. I even considered getting a dog (before the BFP) because I live in a walking town and it'd be fun to take a dog around, and to the beach. But one thing I was worried about is the training of the dog - I have high expectations of dogs and if I got a wild one that couldn't be trained correctly, it would just make me so nervous to bring them around!

You doggie owners should start a dog thread and post pictures of your puppies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search