Due Date Buddies & Cyber Shower/Birth Bead Swap?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A couple other boards have done this. Do we have any interest in these? I really like the birth bead swap idea.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 4th, 2013, 12:17 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have already put ideas down on paper for this. Just waiting for everyone to get comfortably into the 2nd trimester.

And we still have newbies joining in here and there.

I know in the past I have seen due date buddies that had the same due dates... but it might be a nice idea to pair with people that don't have close due dates so that both buddies wouldn't be out at the same time giving birth and the other can still update if needed. LOL

April 4th, 2013, 12:20 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like Jenn's idea of having a buddy that's not due when you are - however, that isn't always going to guarantee that you both don't pop at the same time!

What are birth bead swaps?
soul_donut likes this.
April 4th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What is the bead swap? It sounds cool!

I had all the women at my baby shower make a clay bead for me and then I wore them all on a necklace during labor.

April 4th, 2013, 12:32 PM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
Those ideas sound awesome!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the awesome siggy!

April 4th, 2013, 12:34 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I, too, am wondering what birth beads are but I'm in for all of it!

I like the idea of due date buddies not having the same due date as well.
CountryMedic911 likes this.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 4th, 2013, 01:44 PM
katchi's Avatar Super Mommy
I love this and am so glad you waited because I am only just now joining in. I'd be so sad if I got left out of buddies list. I have an angels history so I was scared to join in early. Anyway, I have no idea what the beads are but I love the idea of an exchange of some kind. It's been such a cool way in the past to learn about new "favorite" items. (I got an Aden and Anais muslin blanket in my last one and NEVER would've bought one myself.) Turned out, it was one of my most favorite baby things! Swaddling a baby in the summer in anything else is just nuts.
Also, definitely matching using distance of due dates. So much easier to report on someone's news when you're not at the hospital yourself!
happywife and soul_donut like this.

April 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love having DDB. Join me with the others who are not sure what birth bead swaps are, but sound interested in them.

April 4th, 2013, 01:56 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Sounds fun! Someone please chime in and tell me what the heck it is though

Suggest that US and Canadian posters are matched with other country women to help with postage! Unless this is digital then forget what I said
April 4th, 2013, 02:06 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think doing the opposite of a due date buddy is good, so people are paired at least two weeks apart.

A birth bead swap is when people who are interested sign up. Then we tally the folks who want to do it and say 20 people want to participate - each person then buys 20 beads (usually a bigger sized bead) and we all send them to the same person. That person will then distribute the birth beads to everyone (mail to their homes/work/addresses they provide - all done via PM with the main person) and everyone has birth beads to wear during labor. Or you could just hold the strand or necklace of beads in your hand and play with the beads during labor and use the beads as prayer beads, etc.

I saw another DDC do it and thought it sounded awesome - to be supported by so many women while in labor. And for c-section mamas, you can hold the necklace before going into the OR to help calm any nerves, and know you are supported, etc.

I figured we would do the due date buddies thing. Most DDC do it.

For the cyber shower, I did this for Sophia's DDC. We basically signed up for it, and we had a $15-$25 limit (can't remember) and we had to send a couple ideas for what we would want. It worked similarly to the birth bead swap only the buddy got your address (privately) and sent it directly to you. Then we choose a day and open it all up and post pics and thank yous. It was really fun and cute. I got a little angel bear rattle that Sophia loved (and it was stolen last year at school - had to go on ebay and find another - luckily I did).

Anyways, just some fun options.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 4th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I like all those ideas! I go bead shopping all the time. Didn't participate in the DDB or the cyber shower last time, but I was too sick to care. I'd like to do it this time.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
April 4th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm totally up for all of this. I the idea of a due day buddy that doesn't share a date with you. In my DD2 DDC they tried to match up first time moms with BTDT moms so that the FT mom had someone to talk to if they needed help/advice. Another thing to think about is BTDT moms may know if they will be late or early so that may help is pairing people up. I have been induced all 3 times so the odds of me going early are slim to none. Just some thoughts from past experience, feel free to ignore if you'd like!
April 4th, 2013, 04:12 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
AWE @ the idea of the birth beads...and honestly, I'm over-emotional right now and teared up that you mentioned us c-moms

I think that's an amazing idea. I'd LOVE to show my support by buying cute beads for all you ladies and I could really use support before my c. I get so wicked nervous, ESPECIALLY if, God forbid, DH can't be there for the birth of this child, it'd be really nice knowing I had yinz's support and I wasn't alone like last time. YEP! I'm still in!

I'm already thinking of where I can find black and gold beads so yinz can think of your friend in Pittsburgh
CountryMedic911 likes this.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 4th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
I love these! How fun! I am pretty crafty so I would love to make my own beads to send out!
April 4th, 2013, 04:41 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
When I did the cyber shower idea with DS2, we actually bought something off the other's registry so we know they want/need what we get them. I like the beads idea and DDBs, too!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

April 4th, 2013, 06:19 PM
OrangeHope's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love the ideas! Now that I'm starting to feel a little better I can be more active on here.

April 4th, 2013, 06:43 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
Sounds fun! Someone please chime in and tell me what the heck it is though

Suggest that US and Canadian posters are matched with other country women to help with postage! Unless this is digital then forget what I said
Surprinsingly postage from canada to canada is more expensive than can to us or us to can.

April 4th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Julie
Great ideas, I would love to participate.

April 4th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Leah
It sounds so cute! I think having a physical reminder of the support here would be awesome.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 4th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This all sounds lovely!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search