Is anyone else worried about this whole North Korea thing?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By 2Corinthians10:4
  • 1 Post By Wanta.number2
  • 3 Post By soul_donut
  • 1 Post By Anitha

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 05:04 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I admit I am, no matter how unlikely the scenario is I just can't help feeling uncomfortable knowing there is a nuclear weapon pointed at my home (Hawaii). The home I am about to go back to, bring my child to, and give birth to another one in.

I know it's probably the hormones and the 'mama bear instinct' coming out in me, but it honestly scares me. Everyone keeps saying that it just won't happen, but you know what...no one (other than the American government according to some sources) thought Pearl Harbor would happen either and it did.

I know it's totally irrational but it honestly makes me think about staying here on the mainland instead of going back. I won't, but I can't lie and say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

Sorry, I guess I just had to vent.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

April 5th, 2013, 05:16 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I think I would feel the same way that you do if I lived where you live. I am across the country from you in Virginia and I still worry about it some. I think a lot of mine stems from my grandfather telling me about when he was in the Korean war back in the 1950's. It was terrible over there and he got injured and sent home with a purple heart right before the war ended. I won't lie, North Korea scares me.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 5th, 2013, 05:20 AM
They scare me too. My honest, unprofessional opinion about their leaders is that they are a bunch of spoiled whiny babies. From what I am told, they never though South Korea would stay a separate nation, much less prosper the way they have while North Korea has floundered. They are in a state of national crisis and instead of trying to help themselves they are throwing a tantrum. What worries me is I know when a toddler throws a tantrum there is no telling what they will end up doing, you just can't predict it. And I feel the same way about North Korea at this point.

April 5th, 2013, 05:22 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I agree, their leader seems very unstable and unpredictable.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 5th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We lived in Hawaii for 3 years and my 7 year old was born there. Even though I am on the other side of the country now I still identify with being there and the fear you might feel. Especially with the history of Pearl Harbor.

My dh works for national security and has a way of explaining things but I still worry. I agree, that guy seems like a toddler.
April 5th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Yea my Dh is a linguist and I know a lot of the time his office is let in on the real up to date information. The thing is I also know if something bad were going to happen and Dh knew about it but was told he was not allowed to tell anyone I would be in the dark. Because I know this part of me subconsciously takes the information he gives me (it's all okay, they wouldn't be dumb enough to try to bomb us, if they do we have the technology to stop their bombs over the atlantic) and wonder if it is the real information he is being given.

Yes I am paranoid, I blame it on the hormones. I am also paranoid about the fact that Dh is a Tagalog linguist (the native language of the Philippines) and if something were to happen over there I am worried that troops will be deployed since it is one base we have that is between Hawaii and North Korea.

I wish I could stop thinking about it but I can't, and the more I think about it the more worried I get.

April 5th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
Right now, to our knowledge, Korea does not have the nuclear or even missile capabilities to reach U.S. soil. The good news is that this is not our first rodeo, so to speak with Korea, and we are heavily prepared to take down any missile from South Korea. My ex husband worked for the Army in Air Defense Artillery in South Korea, and they are watching every tiny move Korea makes, and its their job to shoot down any missile they put up in the air before it gets to us.
As unbalanced as Kim Jong Un is, attacking us would be a suicide mission. They should not fear us as much as they should China, because they would be there so fast his head would spin.
~*Nicole*~ likes this.
April 5th, 2013, 07:02 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What I'm thinking and what I *hope* is that it's just Kim Jong Un fluffing his feathers and trying out is new role. From what I've been hearing they really don't have the power to actually do anything to us. And even if they did I think our defenses are good enough where it can be kept off our home turf. At least... that's what I hope. I try not to worry too much about it since it's completely out of my power. Even if they nuked the whole US we wouldn't even know what happened. Moments like these threats make me just kiss my kids more and live life fuller.

But I will say that I am glad to not live near a coast or big city. I was only an hour away from NYC on 9/11 and that was close enough for me.

April 5th, 2013, 07:27 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
IMO from reading the reports and seeing all of the crazily photoshopped "hovercrafts" and other amazing technological advances over there, you have nothing to worry about. He's like the dictator version of Justin Bieber to me - kid gets a couple Ferraris and crashes them, "threatens" to beat people up (please) when his body guards are around. It's not anything to worry about. China doesn't want them acting up and messing things up with us - we are different politically but sure are pretty connected through commerce, trade, etc. North Korea could be GONE tomorrow if they start up. Like Tiffani said, we have a strong military that is just watching and prepared to take out their missiles if they do try anything. Our military is stronger than most militaries of the world combined so as much as I would prefer that the money goes towards domestic concerns and taking care of existing vets, when talking about possible threats from other countries it is pretty reassuring anyway.

I know it's easy to worry but try not to! You are going to be going to HAWAII you lucky devil!! Just look at one of your 50 daily rainbows to make yourself feel better Man I loved Hawaii.
April 5th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the ladies. Kim Jong Un's threats seem very childish and empty. Then again there is the unpredictability that comes with N. Korea. My worry is not so direct like will the actually bomb the country...but if some sort of nuclear combat is started, even if USA diffuses it, there will be lot of repercussions to the economy...the country could go into emergency/state of war etc. All of which can't be pleasant.

I love the USA & I look forward to the day I will become a permanent resident (been working on that process for 6 years now and I've been a legal immigrant here for 11 years. We have to go through crazy hoops to get that greencard!!) But I was sure glad when i received the advance parole renewal document on my mail yesterday as that would mean I could temporarily leave the country without jeopardizing my six years of wait for the greencard in case the situation became uncertain or unsafe here
CountryMedic911 likes this.

April 5th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess in my opinion, his threats can't mean anything, because otherwise he'd be suicidal. They have to know that if they launch nuclear or chemical weapons against the U.S., any of the U.S. bases, or any of its allies, North Korea will probably no longer continue to exist after that. And if they go after China, well, then, North Korea will probably be wiped out before you can bat an eyelash. So unless they WANT to be wiped off the face of the planet, I can't see any of their threats actually coming to fruition. But maybe Kim Jong Un is a suicidal sociopath... so who knows.

August 2012 December 2012
April 5th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since his dad died, Kim Jong Un has been getting pressure from the military (the same that worked with his father) to start this threat. The military in NK are the elite class, while the rest of the people starve and are treated poorly. I'm not sure what they are looking to achieve by starting this, there must be an alterior motive to get money from us, or start a war to wipe out some of their own people (i.e. thousands of mouths to feed).

Anyways, I wouldn't underestimate it just like someone mentioned above with Pearl harbor. Better to be prepared and I think we are doing that by putting US troops in Guam and Hawaii. I live in California so although they said it wouldn't hit here, I am still scared (being hormonal and pregnant and all).
April 5th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Meagan my dh is also a linguist so I've probably been told all the same stuff as you when he's trying to make me feel better. But yes I still worry too and if I had to move back there as you are I'd be worried. But I'm a worrier
April 5th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Allison, I'm a worrier too. I try not to but I just can't help it. It's really not good for my healthy I'm sure lol.

April 5th, 2013, 02:50 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It worries me since I am in Los Angeles, a major city. But, I do feel reassured by what I have read. And I agree it would be a suicide mission.

Nuclear weapons scare the %$#@ out of me After reading Hiroshima, the book, I just can't imagine that mistake(s) ever happening again unless absolutely mandatory. It's horrifying.

There are so many scary real and unreal threats in the world that in order to maintain my peace of mind I have to stay far from the news and newspapers. I am too much of a worry wart!

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 6th, 2013, 09:52 AM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm way more worried about how close Iran is to having nuclear weapons (they are WAY more bat-**** crazy than N. Korea). Though at least Israel will probably take care of Iran, not sure who will finally back North Korea off.
April 6th, 2013, 11:33 AM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
It all scares me to death! Shortly after all this started my SO was told that they are not deploying in January like they had planned but to be ready in the next few months to leave so I don't know if this has anything to do with the other but it terrifies me

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search