Ladies with Dopplers

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes
  • 1 Post By The Purple Butterfly
  • 2 Post By WorkerBeeMama
  • 1 Post By The Purple Butterfly
  • 1 Post By Iluvmybabies*
  • 6 Post By gRod
  • 3 Post By Daisee37
  • 1 Post By soul_donut
  • 2 Post By YoginiMomma
  • 1 Post By chachartier
  • 3 Post By WorkerBeeMama
  • 1 Post By chachartier
  • 1 Post By slmehaffey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 01:25 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I'm concerned about all of the casual use of home dopplers. They use the same waves as an u/s and while the 5sec use by your OB/mw once a month isn't anything to be concerned over, daily use of it isn't recommended. This doesn't take into account the amount of u/s done throughout the pg. Ladies, PLEASE consider not using them anymore.

peaceful parenting: Ultrasound: More Harm than Good?

ULTRASOUND - JUST LOOKING CAN HURT: ultrasound pictures, dangers 3d ultrasound fetus, 3d fetal ultrasound dangers - Green Health Watch

Questions about Prenatal Ultrasound and the Alarming Increase in Autism - by Caroline Rodgers
chachartier likes this.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

April 5th, 2013, 01:40 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not concerned at all and my doctors told me there is absolutely no risk. I used a doppler with my last pregnancy maybe once or twice a week and there were no issues with my daughter. I also have a friend who used one every day with her son and he is perfectly fine.

My cousins son has autism and he only got two scans during pregnancy (dating and anatomy).

I understand some people's concerns, but for me it appears that there is always going to be something alarming about some newer practice that later shows there either is or is not really an issue.

For me, I'm going with my doctors recommendations. And if i find that they tell me something different in the future I will change what I do.

And I'm not trying to debate, but just give my perspective. I HATE debating. BUT, for me, there is so much to be alarmed about during pregnancy, and having had real issues with previous pregnancies and miscarriages, I'm just trying to be as positive as possible and a few extra ultrasounds and a doppler put my mind at ease so for me that is worth it.

But I appreciate your sharing this information. I may thikg twice about using my doppler more often (although mine isn't really working for me at all at this point).
Druslady96 and Dolly Lama like this.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 5th, 2013, 01:50 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Trusting my dr landed me 2 unnecessary c-sections. I research everything for myself regardless of whether I trust my dr or not now. I'm the only one responsible for my health and that of my baby. Not every case of u/s use will result in a problem. Which really can be applied to many things that have risks. U/S and doppler use does have risks. Nothing is risk-free.
chachartier likes this.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

April 5th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I have used a doppler every second to third day until about 16wks(I only used it once in a while after that)with my last 3 kids and there all fine

I was in the hospital for 5mo with my second and they come and check the baby with a doppler every 40min 24/7 and that is the complete truth

It is a very very personal choice really so is ultrasounds!!!!!
Allisonjuly likes this.
5 time HG survivor , AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 9mo 10/10/13

April 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
I do agree that Doppler use and extensive u/s many have a risk, because like you said, nothing is truly risk free. ( I also didn't agree with some of the things I read from the links posted).We just don't know the risk of every single thing we do or use. BUT, it is yet again, a very personal choice, and there are so many more things, IMO, to be worried about during pregnancy. If we worried about every single thing, we would all drive ourselves completely mad. I just believe that the positives out weigh the negatives. Had there not been an u/s, I would not have known that my son had flipped to breech just a few days before I went into labor and had a short cord. U/s have saved the lives of babies and have given doctors and parents the ability to prepare for abnormalities and/ or issues that could have been life threatening had they not known about them first. I also don't wish to debate, this is just how I see things. You have valid points as well, I jst also agree that it is a very personal decision.

Last edited by Wanta.number2; April 5th, 2013 at 02:31 PM.
April 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Butterflies View Post
I'm concerned about all of the casual use of home dopplers. They use the same waves as an u/s and while the 5sec use by your OB/mw once a month isn't anything to be concerned over, daily use of it isn't recommended. This doesn't take into account the amount of u/s done throughout the pg. Ladies, PLEASE consider not using them anymore.

peaceful parenting: Ultrasound: More Harm than Good?

ULTRASOUND - JUST LOOKING CAN HURT: ultrasound pictures, dangers 3d ultrasound fetus, 3d fetal ultrasound dangers - Green Health Watch

Questions about Prenatal Ultrasound and the Alarming Increase in Autism - by Caroline Rodgers

Coming from someone that looks at data ALL day for the past 15 years. All research can be subjective. Just the way you found articles that say it is harmful, other research shows that it is not. The British Medical Ultrasound Society (BMUS) for example states that there has never been any evidence of harm resulting from the use of ultrasound in pregnancy. If there was a FOR SURE - reliable and all variables looked into study - there would be more warnings. Take all the signs in bars, restaurants, TV commercials, pamphlets, and so on showing the effects of alcohol consumption in pregnancy. I appreciate you sharing this with the group, but I also don’t want to scare the young mothers or the mothers who might not be as up to date with certain things that ultrasounds (home Doppler’s) included are going to harm them or their baby.

Again, I am not telling you you are wrong, but you are not right either. There are two sides to EVERYTHING!

Last edited by gRod; April 5th, 2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Typo
April 5th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I sort of assume everything I do that is for ME somehow harms the baby All the food I like harms the baby. Apparently my favorite types of exercise can harm the baby. And maybe using a doppler to reduce my stress harms the baby. I have to pick and choose. I use my dopper about 3x per week, and only until I can feel movement. For me, the stress of not knowing whether I've had another missed miscarriage seems a lot more harmful than the minimal u/s waves that are reaching the baby. Stress is also supposed to be bad for pregnancy, right? We can't worry about everything. Until my doctor says otherwise, or there's more definite proof out there that using a doppler a few times a week causes harm, I think I'll just stick with my usual routine.

With that said, it probably isn't a good idea to use a doppler 24/7. Just seems like that can't be good. Once I find the hb, I listen for about 5-10 seconds, and then turn the thing off. But I doubt anyone here is walking around with a doppler attached to them all day.

August 2012 December 2012
April 5th, 2013, 03:47 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Ill have to take a look when I'm not on my iPhone..

Devils advocate though about harmful things for baby --- IMO the entire middle section of the grocery store is all junk full of artificial colors and sweeteners and high fructose con syrup and THAT probably does more long term damage than a lot of other things out there. Heck even if you want to be good and eat salad most dressings are loaded with corn syrup unless you make yourself or go to the organic section.
Wanta.number2 likes this.
April 5th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the concern and posting the links. This is just the beginning of many things we will have to follow our own intuition on when it comes to our October babies.

The twin study was interesting. My mom and her twin were born in 1950. All their "ultrasound" were x-rays. I remember being shocked when my grandpa told me. Thank God they turned out fine!
April 5th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisonjuly View Post
Thanks for the concern and posting the links. This is just the beginning of many things we will have to follow our own intuition on when it comes to our October babies.

The twin study was interesting. My mom and her twin were born in 1950. All their "ultrasound" were x-rays. I remember being shocked when my grandpa told me. Thank God they turned out fine!
WOW! I never would have thought they would've taken x rays! Interesting!
April 5th, 2013, 08:01 PM
YoginiMomma's Avatar Veteran
yeah I don't trust doctors. They are mainstream/old paradigm educated.... the same people that will tell you milk is good for you and heavy-metal laden vaccines are a must.,,, and hospitals (in my county) have a 1 in three cesarean rate.

ultrasounds haven't really been out long enough to establish solid and sound studies on their safety, and so I'm looking at them as not good, but not bad either, and using sparingly and with caution.

same goes for sunscreen, chemical additives in food, cell phone waves, lasik, emf radiation, etc-- all new technology that hasn't been fully studied and established yet.

*"It is through the body we realize we are a spark of divinity"* ~ Iyengar

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 6th, 2013, 05:24 AM
chachartier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, I do not support the use of dopplers or ultrasounds more than necessary specifically because they are so new and to be honest no one has studied their effects on babies extensively enough that any doctor should be guiding their patients one way or the other... it drives me mad that doctors say it's ok when they really have no idea. BUT I am selfish and want to know the sex of the baby, and my husband needs the peace of mind that comes with the morphology ultrasound, so we will be getting two ultrasounds, and we will stick to the monthly doppler with our midwife. I just feel like until it is proven one way or the other, I avoid as much medical intervention as possible throughout pregnancy and during labor and delivery.

Also, not to start another debate or anything but there are a lot of people out there who believe that medical intervention is necessary for stuff such as breech and short cord or that cord being around the neck is grounds for a c-section, which is definitely not true and sucks that doctors make people feel their baby is in such danger... midwives have delivered babies like this successfully for years with no complications. this is why our infant and maternal fatality rates are so ridiculously high compared to other countries that don't medicalize the birth process...

I'm sure that is going to piss off a few people sorry... I had to learn it somewhere too, and I was appalled at some of the stuff I found out, and wished I had learned it before I was 5 months pregnant with my son

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 6th, 2013, 07:22 AM

Last edited by Wanta.number2; April 6th, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
April 6th, 2013, 07:27 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's so great that we have such a broad spectrum of views in this DDC! I think it's nice that there is a place for everyone here

What I do think is important to add, is that EVERYONE has their opinions and that no opinion is right or wrong, even if it varies from what you personally believe in.

I think as a DDC we have done a great job at being accepting of everyone's viewpoints.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM
chachartier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WorkerBeeMama I really appreciate that positive perspective on our differences. Thanks for that
WorkerBeeMama likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 8th, 2013, 02:29 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just seeing this now, and while I agree that u/s and doppler have not been studied enough to know if it is harmful I used it when my midwives told me I should with both my previous pregnancies, this time my midwife has a few requirements that will require me to have both. but neither of them will happen until after I hit 13 weeks and I feel that the risk is highest when babies brain is still so much liquid (ie during the first trimester) so I feel a lot better about that. We will only have one ultrasound and that will be mostly to determine the position of the placenta, but I'm hoping to take away a few pictures when we get it (I have pictures of the other two so since I have to get an u/s anyway I'd like to have pictures of this one) And the use of a doppler we'll be buying one this time, but only for delivery because my midwife lives 3 hours away and incase she doesn't get there in time for delivery we will be monitoring babies heart rate intermittently ourselves but I don't see myself using it or even buying it until we are close to delivery.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search