Pickups & Car Seats

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Leah
SO is out looking at vehicles today and has his heart set on a pickup. It would be good for work and lugging stuff around, and he'll actually bring in more money with a truck. That said, I'm not so sure about a car seat in a truck. Obviously only a 4 door will be acceptable, and that's what he's looking at today. But he's also not trying to spend a bunch of money so that he still feels comfortable financially, so mac daddy trucks are out. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with car seats and pickups?

I currently have a Versa but plan to get something larger before baby comes. The Versa wasn't to friendly to my niece's stroller so I'm not wanting to deal with that.

Side note: car seats and pickups sounds like it should be a country song.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 6th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH looked at a Dodge Ram 4 door in the fall and we couldn't get DD's carseat in the back rear facing.
I would definitely borrow (?) an infant seat or even a rear facing convertible to make sure it fits!
DH is tall and needs the seat far back.
April 6th, 2013, 02:51 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My best friend has a Ford and has no problem with 2 car seats. (I've seen 3 seats in the back of a pickup on the highway). Prior to the ford she had a Nissan pickup and no problem with the car seat either.

April 6th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just bought a Chevy Silverado extended cab last weekend and it will fit 3 carseats in the back and 1 booster seat (if absolutely needed it's legal after the age of 8) in the front seat. We plan on using the truck as a 3rd vehicle so we won't have all the kids in it all the time but needed the option in an emergency. I think depending on how tall you are the extended cab is big enough but you may need the double or crew cab (same thing just different companies call it different things) Hope this helps!
April 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Super Mommy
We have a crew can pickup and haven't had anything else the last 8 years other than our Suburban. The car seats both infant (base included) and bigger kid seats fit just fine. The middle is safer for small children so we had no problems with rear or forward facing and even with our now convertible car seat in the middle and older DS booster on 1 side we still have plenty of room for 1 more. Most newer trucks have side/curtain airbags for safety. The one and only draw back I have found is lifting the infant carrier up into the middle over the other car seats. It might also depend on how tall it is. Ours is taller than most because of the model and that I haul horses with it. Other than that...no complaints and we wouldn't have anything but a truck regardless.

Our Tobianne 10/24/13

DS # 1 Jacob is 7 years old
DS # 2 Austin is 3 years old
April 6th, 2013, 04:55 PM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
I have an 06 dodge ram 4 door I have had no issues with my nephews, and friends car seats both rear facing and toddler seats

April 6th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Leah
Thanks all! He was finding that those 06 and later looked they had more room. I'm definitely thinking once he narrows it down, it'll be good to bring a seat to make sure it fits. Nice to know he'll still have the truck option.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 7th, 2013, 02:52 AM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
*Lurking*

I actually have a small truck, an 05' dodge Dakota, it's a 4 door & I fit comfortably 2 safety first alpha omegas ( 1 rf & 1 ff) & a graco high back booster without a problem.
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

April 7th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
My husband has a Toyota tundra which is a large truck, used to have a Toyota Tacoma which was a smaller truck and my dad has a dodge Dakota, which is also smaller and all of them fit our car seats!
April 7th, 2013, 10:04 AM
chachartier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son hated riding in the car until he was four months and we went on a long road trip across country in my dad's GMC sierra. He loved looking out the window so much that he only cried for thirty minutes of the whole 18 hour trip when we got stuck in a tiny bit of traffic. Ever since then he looks out the window and has no problem riding in the car. I think in the truck the big back window was right in his face and hard to miss the action outside. My husband is currently trying to decide between the four door full cab Tacoma or the fj cruiser. Either would work fine for our two car seats, and hopefully a third in a couple years.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search