When to get fluids?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Leah
First, I'm not in the extreme dehydration category (and I don't wanna be). I'm sure I'm nowhere near what our HG moms go through. That said, the MS has been getting worse. When I'm not ralphing, I'm extremely nauseous. Dysgeusia is making it difficult to drink much of anything; first it was sweet stuff that did it, now anything carbonated as well. What's normally not considered too sweet, is now like syrup. It's also affecting what I eat, but I'm more concerned with the hydration. The taste in my mouth will increase any nausea and bring on the puke.

Saturday I was able to get two glasses of grape juice down. By Sunday that was like syrup. I got down 8 ounces of plain water. My doctor warned me plain water can increase the nausea, and sometimes it's hit or miss. Today I wake up with a migraine and I can tell I'm more dehydrated than before (no duh Leah, after 8 ounces). I got down about 6 ounces of plain water this morning and then tried to sleep off the migraine. SO went to the store and talked with the pharmacist and came back with Pedialyte. I've been nursing that and now that's come up too.

Just to throw in a complication, I also have a history of gastroparesis. Sometimes it's more present than others, but essentially everything stays in my stomach longer than most.

The pharmacist now says Kaopectate to sooth both my stomach and throat. He's also telling SO what to feed me which I sincerely don't like. A hamburger always helps my migraines, but now I'm not getting one thanks to this pharmacist. Grrrr.

Sorry for the length, but I feel miserable and really don't want to get worse. I'm still nauseous now and have a feeling anything else is going to come back up. I know some of the mamas here have been through the wringer and then some. I don't want to be that hypochondriac calling the doctor if I don't have to, but I think another day of this could be bad.

Update: another round of puking after only an ounceish of the Pedialyte. Bile now too. I know they say 24 hours, but that seems pushing it...?

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump

Last edited by QL1516; April 8th, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
April 8th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
If you are getting bad headaches from them, you might call and see if you can come in for fluids. Just because you aren't vomiting doesn't mean you aren't dehydrated. Plus they may give you something for the nausea, and that IV stuff is 100x's better than the pills! You'll probably get a nice nap, and you'll feel so much better with a couple bags of fluid in you.

With my last when I knew a day was fixing to be spectacularly bad(I could tell when my feet hit the floor), I would go ahead and ask for some with phenergan. I just started nipping in the bud after a while. The next few days were usually pretty easy on me. Felt so nice!
April 8th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have had days where nothing seems to stay down. I follow the 24 hour rule. If I go longer than that without peeing I need IV fluids. Everyone might have different personal rules/goals though.

My key moment is the middle of the night. I always wake so I drink and then try to fall asleep before it comes up.

Don't compare yourself to anyone. You matter
April 8th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Leah
Thanks. I think I'm gonna try to sleep off this migraine - I have them regularly so I'm not even sure it's hydration related. If it's still hanging tomorrow than odds are it is. If the puking keeps up even without me putting anything in my stomach, I'm going to give a call about IV.

I'm just hoping sleep will be a reset button. It'll also be a way to get quiet. It's obvious SO hasn't suffered from migraines.

Also obvious that pharmacist hasn't dealt with pregnant women. Apparently he said he'd commit a pregnant woman who went a day unable to eat or drink. Joking or not, he'd better hope to not run into me anytime soon.

April 8th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Julie
I would call your doctor and see what they say. During one of my pregnancies I had a stomach bug and at the tail end of it I went to the doctor to give them urine. They said I had a lot of keystones in the urine and I should go to the hospital for IV fluids. Another pregnancy but different doctor same thing happened, except they told me just to ride it out and no need to come in. Hope you feel better soon.

Oops.. I meant ketones in my urine. Gotta love autocorrect.

April 9th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any advice, but I think calling your doctor today and finding out what you should do in the future is a good idea. I hope you feel better soon.
April 9th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd call the doctor. I'm not in need of fluids and still peeing more than once a day, but I am way more dehydrated than normal because I can hardly drink anything and have diarrhea, even though I am dry heaving and not actually vomiting much. I normally guzzle water, so the lack of fluids is making me feel really crappy.
April 9th, 2013, 05:39 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would call the doctor just in case, are you getting anything down other than the fluids you mentioned?

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

April 9th, 2013, 06:18 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope you can start to hold things down and start to feel better soon. I'd call the doctor. That's just me though.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 9th, 2013, 06:24 AM
BostonmamaSue12's Avatar Veteran
My advice is to sleep it off and if you stil don't feel well, head to the ER. The dr tells me that if I have a teaspoon of fluids every 15 mins, it keeps you hydrated just enough without throwing up. Maybe try popsicles too? SOrry you are so sick! Been there and it sucks!

Expecting #3 on September 30th! ITS A BOY!!

April 9th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Leah
Thanks everyone. They're having me come in to check to make sure I'm not too bad and then they'll likely prescribe something. I guess I was on the to be called list anyway because they want another ultrasound before my May 20 one to check on my cyst.

I have been able to eat a bit - it seems I do better with food rather than liquids. I've dropped more weight, but I'm getting some kind of food down daily. Not tons. I'm usually pretty good intuiting when I can eat with my history of IBS and acid reflux. The liquid thing is new. Took a few crackers and some Pedialyte while still in bed and it came up once I got moving.

Last edited by QL1516; April 9th, 2013 at 07:17 AM.
April 9th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hope you feel better soon. I have my ultrasound tomorrow for the NT scan and to look at my cyst. I'm very curious to see if it has gotten bigger or smaller. I've read that they can cause early pregnancy symptoms, so I sometimes wonder if it is making my ms worse this time.
April 9th, 2013, 09:33 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
You poor thing. I hope you are feeling better soon and they can give you something to help.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Leah
The time for fluids is now apparently. Getting some Zofran as well as a few others, including something for the migraine if rehydrating alone doesn't kick it. My doctor was totally understanding. My boss too, thankfully. He couldn't find the heartbeat with the Doppler quickly, so he did an ultrasound and everything looked perfect still he said.

Quote:
I have my ultrasound tomorrow for the NT scan and to look at my cyst. I'm very curious to see if it has gotten bigger or smaller. I've read that they can cause early pregnancy symptoms, so I sometimes wonder if it is making my ms worse this time
Was just thinking about you. He took a look at my cyst (that was his pretense when he couldn't find the heartbeat) and it's not much smaller, but definitely not bigger. Wonder if it'll hang out the entire time.

April 9th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
This sucks, and I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad. Don't ever hesitate to call your doctor about stuff like this hydration is so important. I have medical issues that cause me to struggle with staying hydrated and it can really do a 360 on your well being.
April 9th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Leah
Quote:
You'll probably get a nice nap, and you'll feel so much better with a couple bags of fluid in you.
So right. I feel so much better. 2 liters, some Zofran, a nap, some food.... The doctor even gave me a muscle relaxer for the migraine and to sleep. He did some thyroid blood work and I'll go back in a week to check my weight. I told all the nurses, as pleasant as my stay was, I hope I don't see them til October.

April 10th, 2013, 07:01 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you could get the situation resolved. I know my dr told us that just getting the fluids can turn things around, so I really hope it doesn't flare up again for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search