Vitamins

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2Corinthians10:4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2013, 07:45 PM
angelaod's Avatar Regular
I apologize if we have all ready talked about this. So I have been taking the gummy prenatals because I could no longer stomach the chewable. Problem is gummies have no iron in them. I have tried taking an iron supplement but the constipation is awful! Is anyone else not taking iron?
April 9th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
Oddly enough, in the past I have medical issues that negatively affect the way my body stores, creates, and uses some vitamins. I had been taking a small iron supplement but was dealing with the bad constipation. My dr took me off of the iron for one month and had me change my diet to include iron rich foods. After doing my bloodwork at my last appointment, my ob actually called me herself yesterday and said my iron levels are NORMAL. They haven't been in years.
I would consult your doctor about what you can change in diet, and get plenty of fiber!! This will help with the constipation. Apples, apple and grape juice, or a bowl of fiber rich cereals help move things along for me.
April 9th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I take liquid iron, as I don't tolerate iron in pill form well at all. Beyond the extreme constipation it also makes me sick.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
April 10th, 2013, 03:39 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
Right now I'm taking PregVit 5 and Vitamin D. My OB told me that these are better to take than the regular prenatals because I am still nursing.
I have bloodwork to do next week. If my iron is low I will have to take something called Palafin. He said to up the fiber and he gave me a prescription for Colace as well just in case!
Good luck!

April 10th, 2013, 04:04 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not taking an iron supplement other than what is in my prenatals. My doctor wants me on one, but I just can't stomach them. Like pp I am trying to keep mine up with my diet. Lot's of leafy greens, pumpkin seeds as a snack, beans, and red meat. I am hoping that this will keep my iron levels up, but if it doesn't I will look into a liquid supplement or even an alfalfa supplement.
Wanta.number2 likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

April 10th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I took an iron supplement for a couple days but my m/s got really bad and my doc said to stop, especially since I take zofran which causes constipation too. Ill go back on the iron when I'm off the zofran.
April 10th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Veteran
Maybe you could try juicing high iron foods, since you're having trouble with m/s? Liquid might be easier to keep down. If you google "High Iron Juice" lots of recipes pop up
Team Green turned Team Blue, October 25th 2013
April 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
I,take the gummies when I'm too sick to take the horse pills. I'm with Allison though and zofran plus extra iron,was not fun.
April 10th, 2013, 04:44 PM
YoginiMomma's Avatar Veteran
I'm not feeling right about taking ANY supplements- now that my appetite for healthy food is back i really feel like I'm getting all I need from food. my body did NOT like the iron in the prenatals... it was not good!! yellow dock is a good herb for getting iron, and I eat SO MUCH leafy greens it's not funny!

*"It is through the body we realize we are a spark of divinity"* ~ Iyengar

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 10th, 2013, 04:49 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cant stomach anything but the gummy vitamins now with no iron. I'm also still having aversions to foods high in iron. I talked to my doctor about it and he said not to worry this early in pregnancy, he said he gets more concerned about iron deficiency later in pregnancy, but even at that time it will be monitored with blood work.
April 10th, 2013, 06:56 PM
angelaod's Avatar Regular
Thanks ladies. I think I am going to try to take the iron supplements 3 days a week and see if that is any better. If not, spinach salad here I come.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search