BTDT Moms who HATED cloth diapers?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
Wondering if there are any btdt mom who hated or just disliked cloth diapers? I really thought that we were going to do cloth this time around, but I'm concerned.

First, I absolutely HATE laundry. Its difficult trying to keep up with it when you have dh and ds who constantly feel the need to change clothes twice a day and just throw clothes on the floor.

I am afraid if we decide to cloth diaper that I will be up to my neck in laundry everyday, and that if I end up hating it, I will be sitting here with 400 bucks worth of CD I'm not going to use. Any suggestions? Opinions?
April 11th, 2013, 09:57 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been having the same thoughts as you! LOL Not sure what I'm doing yet!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 11th, 2013, 09:58 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never cloth diapered before but we are doing it this time.

I have already spent about $400 and will probably spend a little more before the baby comes. I have a similar issue with laundry although one of the problems is that I work a lot and commute, so that takes up my time AND our dryer takes 100, yes 100!! minutes to dry just one load. We are having someone come out to service the dryer and if it still doesn't work we are getting a new one. i am thinking that will help.

And if all is said and done and it still just doesn't work for us, I bought diapers that have a high resale value so I could recoup at least half of my money.

I really just wanted to try it I'm kinda stubborn so it may just end up working for us. I know that we need a system and that it will be easier to just have one kind for us so we went with bumgenius elemental all in ones for when the baby is 3+ months. I bought some workhorse fitted with thirstie duo wrap covers for the newborn stage, but only 6 (might get a couple more) as we will only be doing it parttime just to get in the habit of using cloth, etc.

Anyways, that is what we are doing

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 11th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I had some for emergencies, but I hate laundry, too. If I could send them off to some cleaning service, I would do it, but I just have too much else to do. Luvs it is!
April 11th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Julie
Awhilw ago I posted that I was considering CDing but I know that SO will not have the patience to learn it and even though i will do most of the caring for our baby, he will change some diapers so we will have to stick with disposables

April 11th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanta.number2 View Post
Wondering if there are any btdt mom who hated or just disliked cloth diapers? I really thought that we were going to do cloth this time around, but I'm concerned.

First, I absolutely HATE laundry. Its difficult trying to keep up with it when you have dh and ds who constantly feel the need to change clothes twice a day and just throw clothes on the floor.

I am afraid if we decide to cloth diaper that I will be up to my neck in laundry everyday, and that if I end up hating it, I will be sitting here with 400 bucks worth of CD I'm not going to use. Any suggestions? Opinions?
I use cloth diapers and love them but I understand about being unsure in the beginning. Just a thought - have you checked into any diaper services in your area. I have friends who use one and it wasn't as expensive as I thought. You might only have to buy a few covers to use with the services diapers. Maybe a good way to try before you go full out and buy a complete stash???

April 11th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkerBeeMama View Post
I have never cloth diapered before but we are doing it this time.

I have already spent about $400 and will probably spend a little more before the baby comes. I have a similar issue with laundry although one of the problems is that I work a lot and commute, so that takes up my time AND our dryer takes 100, yes 100!! minutes to dry just one load. We are having someone come out to service the dryer and if it still doesn't work we are getting a new one. i am thinking that will help.

And if all is said and done and it still just doesn't work for us, I bought diapers that have a high resale value so I could recoup at least half of my money.

I really just wanted to try it I'm kinda stubborn so it may just end up working for us. I know that we need a system and that it will be easier to just have one kind for us so we went with bumgenius elemental all in ones for when the baby is 3+ months. I bought some workhorse fitted with thirstie duo wrap covers for the newborn stage, but only 6 (might get a couple more) as we will only be doing it parttime just to get in the habit of using cloth, etc.

Anyways, that is what we are doing
Holy cow on the dryer!! We have just replaced our 5 year old set about 2 months ago with a high efficiency set, and our laundry gets done super quick, but the biggest impact as been on our utility bills. Electric has dropped a few dollars, but our water bill has dropped by 30 DOLLARS a month!!
WorkerBeeMama likes this.
April 11th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Super Mommy
I would like to try it, but daycare won't use them so it would be just at home. I work full time too, and have trouble keeping up with laundry as is, but I thought about just buying a few to use at home and see how it goes??
April 11th, 2013, 02:17 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I looked into a diaper service. It is approximately $19/week here.
My daughter didn't go through a lot of diapers (I used disposables), considering she pooped once every 7-10 days for the first 4-5 months. I don't recall how much they cost a month for her.

April 11th, 2013, 03:53 PM
@ $19 a month that is pretty comparable to what you would pay for disposables for the average baby.

For that price you should just go with a biodegradable diaper and call it a day. i think the honest company is biodegradable or something but don't quote me on that, as I said, i will be cloth diapering so I am not in the know.

Mindy & Josh
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 11th, 2013, 03:54 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We tried it with Sawyer... but I didn't buy a full set because I really wanted to try them out first. I wanted to like them... but Sawyer leaked out of the ones we had, they didn't seem super comfortable and they were hard to fit into his onesies! Also not a huge fan of laundry here... we let it pile up to a mountain (apparently we have lots of clothes) and then have a laundry marathon weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkerBeeMama View Post
@ $19 a month that is pretty comparable to what you would pay for disposables for the average baby.

For that price you should just go with a biodegradable diaper and call it a day. i think the honest company is biodegradable or something but don't quote me on that, as I said, i will be cloth diapering so I am not in the know.
$19 a week not per month

April 11th, 2013, 04:28 PM
I think I'm going to check out some organic/biodegradable diapers. I checked here, and diaper service is 25/per week. I think that would be a smarter idea for us! Thanks ladies! Anybody have any suggestions on what brands to check out or that you ad experience with?
April 11th, 2013, 04:33 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got a couple of cheap CD's and I really like them. They were great when I ran out of 'sposies. I couldn't really get into it full time because I was working PT along with having my older daughter, it was just too much. It didn't really appeal to me the little bit I did it to go full time this time. I'll get a couple here and there, but I'm not one to do it full time.

April 11th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Super Mommy
I think I might get a few at Target just cuz they're cute. LOL
April 11th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Oops, I meant week, not month.

I read that it is usually about $80 a month for diapers, but I find that it really depends on the kid. My first didn't use as many diapers as my second. Still to this day my second pees and poops ALL THE TIME!!! My first rarely goes.

My friend uses the honest company diapers and they are cute and ship to your home and are $80 a month and that includes wipes as well.

I usually got my diapers on sale so I don't know if I spent $80 a month especially after the newborn stage.

I prefer pampers diapers and huggies wipes. i tried some biodegradable brand once from whole foods and they were AWFUL!!! Granted this was with my first during a grocery store strike so it was a long time ago but man, they were so bad.
Wanta.number2 likes this.

Mindy & Josh
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 11th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried them for a few months, but the bigger she got, the more problem I had with leaks, and I found the whole stress of finding the right detergent that would get them clean in the HE washer but not interfere with the absorption was too complicated for me. I ditched them when it was time to transition into the larger size because the larger prefolds weren't working with the diaper covers. I think if I only had one option for diapers and detergents I may have stuck with it, but it was a little overwhelming to find a system that worked.
April 11th, 2013, 06:41 PM
That's what I am worried about too,Wren. My mom CD all three kids, and when I showed her some websites about CD now, she was dumbfounded lol.
Wren likes this.
April 11th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A suggestion? For starters if Dh likes to wear multiple changes of clothes a day & dumps them all over the place I'd be making him do his own washing!

The washwork load in this place is absolutely insane That said I don't think that cloth adds a huge amount of work on top it the usual work load.
Wanta.number2 likes this.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
April 12th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I did it for about a year. It was okay. I had trouble with ammonia build up and then my mom bleached them and it irritated Luke's bum. Havent CDd since.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
April 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok I don't think this is a useful contribution to this thread but I just wanted to share this. When we were kids (my sister, me & all the cousins) we got cd'd when we went out. What did they do when we were at home you ask? We just ran around nakie until we got potty trained...which was usually very very early, sometimes even before we could walk !! If I didn't have carpeted floors & if I was a SAHM I would have tried that route, especially since my mom will be staying with us until baby is 5 1/2 months old. ( She did with DD as well) . But no, I just cant do it. Luvs it is for us!

I will add though that we washed baby's bum a lot instead of just using wipes. We would wipe the major mess off and take her to the potty to be washed. I'd hold her and mom would wash her or vice versa. I quickly found out that this completely cut down any chance of a rash!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search