Hospital stay or ER visits for anyone?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Iluvmybabies*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know there are a few mamas who are struggling with morning sickness and I just wanted to check on them, are any of you needing extra support i.e. feeding tubes or IV fluids?
I'm strongly considering going to the ER tomorrow for an IV fluid. I've been trying my hardest to drink as much as possible but I'm averaging 16oz a day... not good. today I managed probably 24 all together, but still not very good for a pregnant lady, and the only reason I've gotten as much today as I have is because I know if I don't get it in I'm getting an IV.. which from previous experience will make me feel MUCH better, but I HATE needles so I'd like to avoid that.
I'm up for a few more hours and I'm hoping to at least finish this cup of juice I have next to me, but the odds are at about 50/50 right now.
I've had a really horrible headache all day and though it did partially go away after taking some pain reliever if it isn't gone tomorrow I think I'm headed in.

Anyway I really do want to know, is anyone else out there struggling with this? I kinda hope not, it really sucks.

April 11th, 2013, 06:18 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
I got on zofran when I started puking EVERY thing and Dh was threatening to take me to the hospital. It really helped.
I'm sorry you're going through this have to talked about getting on medicine? If your hospital is fast they might be able to get you some - I've been in and out of this one in 3 hrs but it's a military hospital (and it was practically empty) and they can give medicine there.
April 11th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Julie
I have not dealt with this, but I hope you start feeling better soon, sounds awful.

April 11th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
I dealt with this last pregnancy, so please, please go get an IV! You will feel so much better. I hurt for you just thinking about how horrible it was for me. I hope you feel better, and keep us updated!
April 11th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Are you on daily meds?

Up untill two weeks ago I was averaging 16oz fluids a day. My pee was orange, my scalp is still dry and flakey but the baby is fine. At my NT scan they even commented about the good amount of fluid around baby. I was scared during my first pregnancy but now I know this is my norm. Only you know what you can handle.

If you wake during the night try and drink a little then. This is how I got most of my fluids to stay down. I get the headaches and use ice packs to help. I hope this passes for you soon. I'm at a point now where I have normal morning sickness with meds. I tried quitting the meds cold turkey yesterday but woke up at 1am with intense need to vomit and did. Not ready.
April 11th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Leah
I went in Tuesday. I'm so glad I did. I had been doing ok, then the past couple weeks just kicked my ***. We first tried Pedialyte, but that came up. Tried that the following morning and up again. The doctor saw me and as he walked closer to see me he went from "we might send you" to "yeah, I'm going to send you over to the hospital for fluids." They gave me 2 liters and I was there for about 5 hours. They made me eat and drink without nausea before leaving. Got a nice nap too.

I also had a horrible headache and I'm sure the dehydration helped that flourish. I did get some relief with ice on my head. The doctor gave me Zofran for the nausea, Flexeril and Fioricet for the headache. The Flexeril is a Class B, so I felt more comfortable taking that than the Fioricet, which is a C.

I'm a thousand times better today. I was nauseous when I thought I wasn't, I got so used to it. The Zofran gave me a headache the first day, but not today.

Good luck. If you're feeling that lousy, headache and all, I'd say go on in. Are you any anti-nausea medication?

Hope you feel better.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 11th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Gavyns mommy's Avatar Veteran
If you are questioning it, then it is probably best that you go in tomorrow.

I have been having a rough beginning of this pregnancy. I have not taken any trips to the hospital, thankfully. However, I lost 6 lbs (and still loosing weight) and could not keep anything down. I had to be put on Zofran (I'm allergic to promethazine) as well. Since then, I am doing a lot better. They told me when you cannot drink or eat, at least make sure you are sucking on ice, which helps dehydration but obviously not as quickly as water.

Hope you feel better soon, KUP!

THANK YOU JAIDYNSMUM FOR THE SIGGY!
April 11th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Not this time, but the ER staff knew my name with my last. I was in constantly for fluids. ER instead of the hospital because it seemed like it was always needed on the weekends or at 3 AM.

It got so bad they shipped me via ambulance to another hospital for emergency surgery. Since I had stones in the past, they figured my gallbladder must be making me so sick. Turns out that wasn't it, but now I don't have a gallbladder to worry about. I was in the hospital a week then. ER visits were usually 5-6 hours.
April 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
If you feel you should go to the ER I would, even when I feel a bit dehydrated I go in and get IV, and definetly talk to your doc about Zofran!!!!

I drink maybe 13-16oz a day its horrible but I live on liquid so its almost all I consume
Spyctre likes this.
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 10mo 10/10/13

April 12th, 2013, 03:51 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope all you ladies dealing with the extreme sickness feel better soon! HUGS!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 12th, 2013, 06:45 AM
heatherolivia's Avatar Member
At 6 weeks I was diagnosed with Hyperemesis Gravardium, it was horrendous. I was hospitalised for three days, on IV fluids & IV anti-sickness meds. I was dehydrated +++
I am now 12 weeks and I still have really bad sickness every few days but I was prescribed Cyclizine Hydrochloride and it does help.

Hope you're okay. x

Last edited by heatherolivia; April 13th, 2013 at 02:46 AM.
April 12th, 2013, 10:07 AM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I managed to drink a lot more than normall yesterday and woke up feeling MUCH better so I'm holding off on going in, but it isn't completely out of the question. What is helping the most right now is that my husband insisted on buying some strawberry kiwi juice last week when we went shopping and while I HATE the flavor it actually stays down without making me feel nauseated...
I can actually keep food down, but the nausea is 24/7 and I average puking 1-8 times a day so I know it could be a lot worse, and am so thankful it is not.
I had the same thing with my second pregnancy so I'm pretty familiar with this, I just hope I'm getting out of it soon!
I'm sorry that some of you have had to go in already! and in answer to the med questions, no Im not on them, I'm having a homebirth with a midwife this time and she doesnt' perscribe medication, so I can't get it from her, but I've been working on my insurance so that I can get it, I'm still waitin on my card to come in the mail and then I have to set up an appointment with the doctor (our small town hospital will probably give me a script if I go to the ER), either way I have not gotten my insurance yet... so that is why I'm not already on it. 12weeks tomorrow, and with my first pregnancy it ended at 13-14 weeks, with my second it was sometime in the 6th month that it went away so we shall see... either way if it lasts much longer I'm getting meds.

April 12th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's great news! I hope you don't have to suffer much longer.
April 12th, 2013, 11:09 AM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you're going through this, it does suck. I haven't gone to the Er yet but could have a few times. Some days I could only get down one glass of water. Not much food sounds good on my bad nausea days but I do find it has been easier to eat fruit, I had hoped it would help with fluids some. Some days I get migraine-like headaches, it could have been from dehydration but I'm convinced now it was the Zofran. My doc switched me to phenergan this week. I notice its helped with the nausea more than anything else I've been on, which always be to drink more fluid which in turn helps me wake up the next day feeling better. If you have enough days where you arent getting fluid down I would go the doc for fluids.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search